Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think Meck knows of what he speaks of.

Last year is over. It was interesting and a bit of an experiment on O. Overall, we did not deliver. Still finished 9 and 7, so this team was better than many others.

I could be wrong (and sorry if I repeat some of the others), but when Elway is concerned about a situation, and especially a QB situation, he seems driven. Like he was when he went after Manning. The fact that he spent a 1st round pick on a young QB tells me he is going to give that player plenty of opportunity to prove himself. He is not going to resign himself to the fact that Trevor did ok, and that he's our future.

I thought Paxton was fine in his first game action. Not so much in his second game, but hey, he's a rookie! Give him an offseason to filter things out and work on mechanics, etc. and expect some degree of progress. He has an arm, he can run, and he was our 1st round pick!

But just as Elway is a bull when it comes to his QBs, I do not doubt he will make a move on a vet. Not saying Romo, but some one. I think he wants more competition, and he also wants a mentor.

Should be interesting.
    I wouldn't be so sure on that. he had sanchez who could have played that role but chose not to keep him.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure on that. he had sanchez who could have played that role but chose not to keep him.
    What I meant in total was that you can kill 2 birds with one stone....get a decent vet who can win games while providing mentorship qualities.

What I meant in total was that you can kill 2 birds with one stone....get a decent vet who can win games while providing mentorship qualities.
    Is it a big risk to go with Trevor and Paxton ? Risk / Reward low cost, usable (we did win 9 games) Not saying that is good enough in a Top division. But what if Paxton can develop ?

4 QB's left in the playoffs, Rogers / Brady / Roethlisburger / Ryan . They had a low percentage of Int, v/s TD;s.
    Trevor had 18 TD;s v/s 10 INT;s. Better than Brock's 15 td's , 16 int's. Dynamics of the team and competition contribute to this and stats are just that. I look at the Four (hall of fame QB's) and want someone who can also be that successful .

Trevor a good capable player I believe is not one. Paxton is a unknown ? The 4 QB's playing for a ring were also unknowns as rookies, but opportunity, coaching, the team around them, well they took the helm and never looked back. Looks as if we have improved the coaching ( I was surprised who we have signed ) Time will tell if these were good moves.

Most Great QB's carried a clip board and learned from the best, The broncos have a lot of talent in players as well as coaches. Not everyone can be like Dak Prescott (who is going in the right direction ) but is not there yet.

I say sign a Free agent OL, ( I like Wagner from Balt. ) also draft a young replacement. Fix the run game, let our top recievers earn their keep. Hope this is the way we go.
    Last edited by colowoz; 01-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Once again you're talking about getting rid of a rookie QB (pretty much) who had a winning season despite a horrible OL. How are QBs supposed to get any better, when they're only given 1 year?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Ugh, I can't wait for the day this QB debate is over, it's been the same arguments by the same posters going all the way back to July.

It feels like a broken record has been playing for 7 straight months here.

1 thing I know, Bronco fans love QB controversies, it was Plummer/Cutler (a debate that still rages to this day), Orton/Simms, Orton/Tebow, Manning/Osweiler. I honestly don't think Bronco fans will ever be happy with their QB.

Either way it is Lynch or Siemian under center as both could get in a lot of reps and off season work. Before the start of 2017 season.
    Happy July 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Ugh, I can't wait for the day this QB debate is over, it's been the same arguments by the same posters going all the way back to July.

1 thing I know, Bronco fans love QB controversies, it was Plummer/Cutler (a debate that still rages to this day), Orton/Simms, Orton/Tebow, Manning/Osweiler. I honestly don't think Bronco fans will ever be happy with their QB.
    I think some of us are coming into this for the first time, or maybe have made a few comments before. QB topics are very, very popular. And this one is nowhere near the level that others have gotten to, as you mentioned. I know full well about the Manning/Oz debate and the Tebow days, but heard that the Cutler/Plummer thing was quite a battle.

But I will agree, we should all try to minimize how far this one goes. To be honest, I am not too passionate about it, which means it is more of interest than hard core belief. And wondering about the new direction, and whether or not we will acquire a vet is quite interesting to me.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-16-2017 at 08:16 PM.

I think some of us are coming into this for the first time, or maybe have made a few comments before. QB topics are very, very popular. And this one is nowhere near the level that others have gotten to, as you mentioned. I know full well about the Manning/Oz debate and the Tebow days, but heard that the Cutler/Plummer thing was quite a battle.

But I will agree, we should all try to minimize how far this one goes. To be honest, I am not too passionate about it, which means it is more of interest than hard core belief. And wondering about the new direction, and whether or not we will acquire a vet is quite interesting to me.
    I know, the QB debates aren't new, I'm just ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

True. But when you have a GOAT franchise QB for 16 years as a mainstay, and the franchise still hasn't found the next 'franchise' QB - fans will always be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I don't know how people expect Paxton Lynch to just wake up one day this offseason and be a better QB than Trevor Siemian. Or will Elway force Lynch as the starter no matter what? Because it looked like there is a wide gap between Siemian and Lynch. Yes, Lynch can get a lot better with another offseason and training camp, but so can Siemian. Let's not forget that Lynch struggled to learn Kubiak's playbook and now Mike McCoy is bringing a completely new system. Kubiak always hinted that Siemian was the smarter QB that can absorb more information faster. There is a good chance the gap between Siemian and Lynch will only get wider.

I am not one of Siemian's greatest supporters; I think he's "okay" and needs to get a lot better to make this team competitive. The problem is that Paxton Lynch is way behind. I want a QB that can throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns. The AFC West has become a very competitive division and the Broncos have fallen behind the Raiders and Chiefs. We can't go on hoping for a miracle going into games with only "adequate" or "average" QB play.

In TS' first year starting as a late round draft pick, his YPA (7.0) is a good sign. He also led 3 4th quarter comebacks, and the last time a 2nd year player led ONE for the Broncos, the entire world went crazy.

4000/30 means we have an elite QB. Romo is about your only hope for that dream the next couple of years.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    In TS' first year starting as a late round draft pick, his YPA (7.0) is a good sign. He also led 3 4th quarter comebacks, and the last time a 2nd year player led ONE for the Broncos, the entire world went crazy.

4000/30 means we have an elite QB. Romo is about your only hope for that dream the next couple of years.
    I think this team needs at least Kirk Cousins-type play from the QB. He's been knocking at the door with 4,100+ yards and 29 TDs in 2015. His yards jumped to 4,900+ in 2016, but the TDs dropped to 25. I'm not saying we should get Kirk Cousins because he won't even be available anyway. But can either Siemian or Lynch get at least to that level? With this defense, the Broncos are Super Bowl contenders with a QB on Kirk Cousins' level.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    The biggest things that I see separating Siemian and Lynch are mental and mechanics, both in Siemian's favor. Neither has a full grasp of the starting role so experience is an edge. Though I'd give the nod to Siemian with mechanics, both have a ways to go to improve their footwork.

Those issues can be worked on in the off season and I hope, after a bit of a rest, they do. Since Kubiak and Dennison are both gone, Lynch has a good opportunity to assert himself. It's neither QBs job at this moment and competition is a good thing.

Whatever role they play with the team next season they will be here. Their contracts are very team friendly and they are young enough to risk any potential upside each posses. Regardless, another camp body or two will be needed for TC so nobody is going anywhere just yet.

As for Meck. Yes and no. I think Siemian has more upside than people allow for but his issue is the time to develop. I agree that he should be farther along then we saw at the end of the season, he's making similar mistakes he did at the beginning. Some of that should be attributed to the OL being so porous and it's effect on a QB, especially a young one, yet, Siemian needs to shoulder some of the responsibility too. That is really where the mental part of the game, supposedly one of his strengths, should compensate. It didn't.

Going in to camp as a non guaranteed starter might be good for him because it will test how much he wants the job.
    There isn't an offensive system more complex than Gary Kubiak's. The play calls are very long and it uses many formations and routes. I wonder how McCoy's offense will compare in complexity? Offensive football coaches are always looking for a way to simplify play calls. We'll see what happens.

Paxton learned Kubiak's complex playbook and now he will learn McCoy's. Both Musgrave and McCoy have worked with young QBs. Paxton learned to play from under center. I think what he worked on in 2016 will help him as he learns McCoy's system.

Denver has two young QBs with some experience. One has thus far exceeded expectations and the other is trying to live up to them. It's a good situation if the Broncos can repair O-Line play and generate a viable rushing attack in order to give these young guys a foundation on which they can develop their skills.

As for Karl Mecklenburg, it's always good to hear from the "Snow Goose".
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by assassin216 View Post
    I don't understand this fixation of wanting Lynch become the starting quarterback,he's proven that he's not ready to be the starter and yet people would rather throw Siemian under the bus to prove their point.

I'm not saying Siemian played great,especially after that second Kansas City game,but some of yall act like he was Mark Sanchez when he wasn't...Not only,did Sieminan played good for most of the season despite having a horrible line,he played well while playing his first full season as the starter and yet in every article and thread people want to ignore all that and want Lynch to be the starter.

Both quarterbacks are young and need work this offseason,I wish people stop having this fixation of wanting Lynch become the starting quarterback when both him and Siemian has to learn a new playbook.

What are some of yall going to do,if Siemian plays well and Lynch doesn't in the preseason...
    What does a two-masted fore-and-aft-rigged sailboat have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    True. But when you have a GOAT franchise QB for 16 years as a mainstay, and the franchise still hasn't found the next 'franchise' QB - fans will always be critical.
    In the ten years between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson, the Denver Broncos had twelve different QBs who started games. Denver's current situation is much better. McCoy, Musgrave, Davidson and the rest of the offensive coaches will carefully study what they have and what they need to do about it. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Here's the issue with Mecklenburg's stance, you can't just hand a player a starting role because he's a first round pick.

The best players need to play, players need to earn the playing time and not just have it handed to them. Lynch had 2 good chances to grab the starting role last year but after both games people were begging Siemian to come back. You can talk about draft status, physical tools, and all that junk, but none of means anything when he gets his chance to play and he overthrows and underthrows receivers by 10+ yards on nearly every pass.

Rarely do backup QBs get the opportunity Lynch got this year, that's what's frustrating is he should've been able to easily out perform Siemian and we wouldn't even be having this convo right now.

It just seems crazy to hand a guy a job because you hope someday he will be better than what you have.