Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

(NY Post) Denver hires Joseph despite "sleaze ball" past

Broncos hired new coach aware of ‘sleaze ball’ -rubbing past

By Jonathan Lehman January 18, 2017 | 11:25am | Updated

The Denver Broncos say they hired Vance Joseph as their new head coach fully aware that Joseph once was suspended from his job as an assistant coach at the University of Colorado amid multiple sexual harassment investigations and that multiple women alleged Joseph assaulted them by climbing naked into their beds, fondling their breasts and touching them with his .

“We were aware of the report, and like all candidates, we thoroughly reviewed Vance’s background as part of this process,” the Broncos said last week in a statement, according to KDVR.

“This issue was resolved administratively nearly 15 years ago, and he’s moved forward from it.”

Broncos VP of public relations Patrick Smyth offered an additional explanation: “While we were aware of these accusations, he was not charged with anything from the report filed in 2004.”

The Boulder Police Department report from 2004, published by Deadspin, makes clear the case was closed because the victims did not want to press charges stemming from an incident in 2003.

One of the two women — believed to be trainers in Colorado’s athletic department — told police they were out with Joseph at a bar, then went back to a home, where they continued to drink and Joseph smoked marijuana.

The woman went to bed. She told police she awoke to find Joseph had removed his clothes and climbed into the bed.

“She felt his against the backside of her body … VJ continued grabbing her breasts and rubbing up and down her leg for a short period of time,” the police report says.

The woman said she feigned sleep and Joseph soon departed. But the woman also related to police how her friend, the second woman, told her Joseph had done “the same things” to her, and the friend had yelled at Joseph to “get the hell out.” Joseph was not accused of penetrating either woman.

The police report contains this summary from the alleged victim:

“Even though VJ had been drinking and had some marijuana, he knew exactly what he was doing … ‘He’s just a sleaze ball.'”

The Daily Camera of Boulder reported former university president Elizabeth Hoffman said in a deposition, released in 2005, that Joseph had been suspended from his post as Colorado’s defensive backs coach after the school learned of this incident and another, in which he had consensual sex with a trainer in the steam room.

Colorado did not provide a reason for Joseph’s suspension at the time, and he soon left for a position at Bowling Green.

“We have no reason to believe that it was not consensual, but since he is a coach, we consider that it was probable or possible sexual harassment, so we followed our sexual harassment protocols,” Hoffman said in the deposition, which was part a Title IX lawsuit filed by two women who alleged they were sexually assaulted by Colorado athletes and recruits at a party in 2001.

Joseph played for Colorado from 1990 to 1995 and returned to the school as an assistant coach in 1999 after a brief stint as an NFL player. Following his exit and a year coaching at Bowling Green, Joseph progressed to the NFL ranks, where he worked as an assistant coach for the 49ers, Texans and Bengals before landing a gig as the Dolphins defensive coordinator in 2016.

Now he’s in the top job with the Broncos, who are no strangers to having a marquee figure shadowed by sexual assault allegations from his time at college. The Broncos won the Super Bowl last season behind Peyton Manning, who was accused by a female athletic trainer at Tennessee of putting his genitals on her face as she examined him when he was the school’s star quarterback in 1996.
    Last edited by Peanut; 01-18-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Edited the asterisks out of the article.

The New York Post has become as credible as the Onion to me.

Joseph's past is nothing more than partly cloudy.

Calling him a sleaze ball is nothing more than typical SJW labeling that I would expect out of such a rag paper.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    The New York Post has become as credible as the Onion to me.

Joseph's past is nothing more than partly cloudy.

Calling him a sleaze ball is nothing more than typical SJW labeling that I would expect out of such a rag paper.
    It didn't start at the NYP and it's been posted in a number of other news outlets. The incidents happened in Boulder so it was their news outlets that brought it up first I believe. And "sleazeball" was the term given by one of the women who was touched by him.

Here's the Boulder newspaper article on it:

http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-n...ce=mostpopular
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Obviously not a flattering report. Pretty disturbing actually. However, the legal process determined he was not guilty of whatever transpired over fifteen years ago. Lets hope he has learned and matured in the time since then.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    It didn't start at the NYP and it's been posted in a number of other news outlets. The incidents happened in Boulder so it was their news outlets that brought it up first I believe. And "sleazeball" was the term given by one of the women who was touched by him.

Here's the Boulder newspaper article on it:

http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-n...ce=mostpopular

While no one else seems to be concerned about this, I for one have been very upset by it. I do not know if these allegations are true or not. But I am concerned that these allegations are connected to the Denver Broncos new Head Coach in the first place and I don't like it. And I don't like the fact that the Denver Broncos even had to come out and make a statement about potential sexual assault or sexual harassment allegations about our new head coach. It really bothers me. Call me crazy but I prefer our coach to not have this kind of stuff swirling around him.

It is not the best way to start off being a new head coach, and it is not the best way to try and gain the trust and endear oneself to a new fanbase. All we kept hearing is that he is a great leader of men. Then this. It gives me great pause. And it raises a lot of concern and questions for me about him. And who he is. And what kind of a person he is.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was on the Kyle Shanahan train. I did not want Vance Joseph as our coach. Mainly because of what I saw from the defense in the MIA/PIT game. That was all I knew of him. But after his press conference he changed my mind. I was impressed. I got excited and was willing to give him a chance. Then boom. This crap. My heart sunk.

That's all I can say. I wanted to remain excited. I wanted to support him and where he was going to take my beloved team. Then this. He has brought questions. I don't like it. And now he has to work harder to gain my trust. That's all I can say.

These are my feelings. You don't have to accept them. I'm not asking anyone to change their minds and you don't have to like how I feel but that's how I feel now.

That we're even discussing this as a fanbase pisses me off. I mean just think about it. We should be discussing what we hope from him as a coach, not how we feel about this stuff. Jeez.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 01-18-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Are there any women on the broncos coaching or training staff?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

As if I needed more reasons to say Elway should have hired Kyle Shanahan. The consensual sex in the steam room already is unprofessional enough, but the creepy climbing/fondling/touching thing is over the top and downright bizarre. It brings me memories of Perrish Cox. There is no way the guy should have been named head coach with those events in his résumé.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I hate to make light of the situation, nor do I intend to judge somebody on something I know little about, but check out the photo NY Post used in the story of VJ and try not to laugh.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/18/broncos...-rubbing-past/
    Last edited by Peanut; 01-18-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: The link was already broken and I broke it some more by editing the asterisks out.

If there was strong evidence of him doing this then it was a mistake to hire him and shows a lack of character by Elway

And I read a few article that say he was cleared by exceptional means

The information below was taken from someone in the comments section of an article

Cleared by exceptional means:

In certain situations, elements beyond law enforcement’s control prevent the agency from arresting and formally charging the offender. When this occurs, the agency can clear the offense exceptionally. Law enforcement agencies must meet the following four conditions in order to clear an offense by exceptional means. The agency must have:

-Identified the offender.
    -Gathered enough evidence to support an arrest, make a charge, and turn over the offender to the court for prosecution.
    -Identified the offender’s exact location so that the suspect could be taken into custody immediately.
    -Encountered a circumstance outside the control of law enforcement that prohibits the agency from arresting, charging, and prosecuting the offender.

Examples of exceptional clearances include, but are not limited to, the death of the offender (e.g., suicide or justifiably killed by police or citizen); the victim’s refusal to cooperate with the prosecution after the offender has been identified; or the denial of extradition because the offender committed a crime in another jurisdiction and is being prosecuted for that offense. In the UCR Program, the recovery of property alone does not clear an offense.
    The bolded part is what is important... It means that there could have been enough evidence to that VJ to trial but the victims decided to not press charges. Which could also mean they settled outside of court... essentially were paid to not press charges.
    Last edited by MHS; 01-18-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    I hate to make light of the situation, nor do I intend to judge somebody on something I know little about, but check out the photo NY Post used in the story of VJ and try not to laugh.

The picture of Elway is a bit funny too, given the context of the story.
    Whether you like Him or you don't like Him.....LEARN to love Him. Because He's the best thing going TODAY. Wooo! Wooo! Wooo! Wooooooooo!

Not to downplay the seriousness of the accusations, but these types of things almost always come out when anyone gets promoted into a "multi-million" dollar job or something high profile. Disgruntled ex employees, ex gfs, etc. Again, neither the law nor the school found him guilty. In these situations the guy is wrong 95% of the time. So, if he didn't get slapped then, it's probably not a situation worth re-visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    While no one else seems to be concerned about this, I for one have been very upset by it. I do not know if these allegations are true or not. But I am concerned that these allegations are connected to the Denver Broncos new Head Coach in the first place and I don't like it. And I don't like the fact that the Denver Broncos even had to come out and make a statement about potential sexual assault or sexual harassment allegations about our new head coach. It really bothers me. Call me crazy but I prefer our coach to not have this kind of stuff swirling around him.

It is not the best way to start off being a new head coach, and it is not the best way to try and gain the trust and endear oneself to a new fanbase. All we kept hearing is that he is a great leader of men. Then this. It gives me great pause. And it raises a lot of concern and questions for me about him. And who he is. And what kind of a person he is.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was on the Kyle Shanahan train. I did not want Vance Joseph as our coach. Mainly because of what I saw from the defense in the MIA/PIT game. That was all I knew of him. But after his press conference he changed my mind. I was impressed. I got excited and was willing to give him a chance. Then boom. This crap. My heart sunk.

That's all I can say. I wanted to remain excited. I wanted to support him and where he was going to take my beloved team. Then this. He has brought questions. I don't like it. And now he has to work harder to gain my trust. That's all I can say.

These are my feelings. You don't have to accept them. I'm not asking anyone to change their minds and you don't have to like how I feel but that's how I feel now.

That we're even discussing this as a fanbase pisses me off. I mean just think about it. We should be discussing what we hope from him as a coach, not how we feel about this stuff. Jeez.
    After some thought I have to agree with you and change my original stance. It actually is a very big deal despite what some may say. Its very worrying that this was actually a possibility of being true. Makes this hire less reputable. The Broncos aren't an organization that supports this kind of personality and behavior, and it shouldn't change now. However at this point Vance is our HC regardless and we have to simply move forward and file this into a questionable past, and hope Vance as a person is no longer or ever was the individual named in the reports.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 01-18-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Please note: I edited the first post and post #8 because they used words that are filtered on this site. Usually, the posters would get an IP for language because they are responsible for what they post. In this situation, we (the staff) do not want it to appear that we are "covering up" by IPing and deleting this thread. Thank you for understanding.
    Administrator

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Without any charges being filed, and without the case actually going to trial, and Joseph being given his right to a fair trial, I'm not sure how anyone can make any sort of judgment on this? Yes it sounds disturbing, but we have one side and the point of the article (both the initial and then the various ones by other publications) were to make a very sided point of view and leave it at that.

There are plenty of cases where the person committed a crime, and we hope that justice is realized. But I also think of the case of Patrick Kane, where he was charged with sexual assault, and everyone condemned him, following the investigation the DA refused to bring charges, and then it came out that the alleged victim's mother was involved in a hoax attempt involving the rape kit bag in the case.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/11/05/pat...ges-no-winners

People will always remember that Patrick Kane was charged with sexual assault, but in the end the prosecution didn't press charges and the victim's mother was caught trying to tamper with (fabricate) evidence. So does he deserve for everyone to remember that? Does he deserve that footnote that will always be attached to him? I personally don't know, but without a trial, is it fair to assume he's guilty?

And even though I hate Dook, I would also have to mention the Duke lacrosse case.

If you're going to hire someone for a multi million dollar job you tend to do an extensive background search on them. NFL teams have very good security departments (usually filled with retired detectives and FBI agents) I would assume (hope) they looked into Joseph and uncovered this and came away thinking it was okay to hire him.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post

It looks like he sees something he wants to grab but he's too conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    The picture of Elway is a bit funny too, given the context of the story.
    Elway is like, "Look Vance...there's some more over there."