Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I Am Cooking A Little More.....

Recently I decided to help out a bit, and get more acquainted with cooking and such. One day a week I try something new out, while learning more about the fine art and science of cuisine. I am finally going beyond my usuals....BBQing steaks and burgers, eggs in various forms, pancakes and all those simpler dishes.

So far so good! Have to say, if you mimic the recipes pretty closely, good things can happen! Actually surprised how much I enjoyed the chili, cannelloni, prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, and others. Just getting started! My wife is an easy audience, and typically makes me feel like I am acing it.....again, not my recipes, and she has helped out when I get in a panic to complete tasks that I was not prepared for. Which is one thing I learned, START EARLY!! Here's more: don't be afraid to spice things up, and with all due respect, if you are not part of the clean up, you do not get full marks!!!

Last night and this am I made my first loaf of bread. It is quite good!! And the best part of baking something like bread is the fact it is such a cool project, and full of life! Watching the dough grow overnight, and then again when placed in the pan, is so refreshing! Sort of that extra bonus when you have a garden, and you watch over time as your plants prove that life is not unique to us and some other species. It is an abundant feature of this planet, and tending to it is very redeeming!

I should have got hooked on cooking a long time ago, other than those easy mainstays I mentioned. But it takes time, and you need to have some love for it. I think it does "come out" in the "outcome". That, along with getting the measurements correct in the first place!

Well, if you've evaded stomach cramps and diarrhea then I'd say you are headed in the right direction so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Well, if you've evaded stomach cramps and diarrhea then I'd say you are headed in the right direction so far.
    Yes, one small step at a time. The day after, I check to see if either my wife or I feel the need for a colonoscopy. If not, I start searching for new recipes, and prepare for another week.......

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Recently I decided to help out a bit, and get more acquainted with cooking and such. One day a week I try something new out, while learning more about the fine art and science of cuisine. I am finally going beyond my usuals....BBQing steaks and burgers, eggs in various forms, pancakes and all those simpler dishes.

So far so good! Have to say, if you mimic the recipes pretty closely, good things can happen! Actually surprised how much I enjoyed the chili, cannelloni, prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, and others. Just getting started! My wife is an easy audience, and typically makes me feel like I am acing it.....again, not my recipes, and she has helped out when I get in a panic to complete tasks that I was not prepared for. Which is one thing I learned, START EARLY!! Here's more: don't be afraid to spice things up, and with all due respect, if you are not part of the clean up, you do not get full marks!!!

Last night and this am I made my first loaf of bread. It is quite good!! And the best part of baking something like bread is the fact it is such a cool project, and full of life! Watching the dough grow overnight, and then again when placed in the pan, is so refreshing! Sort of that extra bonus when you have a garden, and you watch over time as your plants prove that life is not unique to us and some other species. It is an abundant feature of this planet, and tending to it is very redeeming!

I should have got hooked on cooking a long time ago, other than those easy mainstays I mentioned. But it takes time, and you need to have some love for it. I think it does "come out" in the "outcome". That, along with getting the measurements correct in the first place!
    This makes me want to expand my homemade culinary horizons. I'd love to see more people get away from processed foods and chemical laden artificial ingredients, that sort of emulates the taste of something, and return to authentic meals.

It just takes a bit more time...but what a fantastic reward for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Getting the runs from homemade bread...that's a crappy baker.

I've been cooking more lately myself. It's fun. I made lasagna soup, honey glazed balsamic chicken, chicken piccata, clementine pancake bites, honey mustard chicken pita pockets and lemon chicken and asparagus stir-fry (which was horrible). It reminded me that I hate soy sauce.

There are a ton of food videos on FB and so I've given them a shot. I've come to realize I can't bake worth a damn.

MmMmmMmm... sounds good. I like cooking, my only issue is I don't like cooking for one. So, if the kids aren't with me.. it's just a basic sammich or salad.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    This makes me want to expand my homemade culinary horizons. I'd love to see more people get away from processed foods and chemical laden artificial ingredients, that sort of emulates the taste of something, and return to authentic meals.

It just takes a bit more time...but what a fantastic reward for your efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Getting the runs from homemade bread...that's a crappy baker.
    Wait a sec......are you folks talking about "outcome" the same way I am????

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I've been cooking more lately myself. It's fun. I made lasagna soup, honey glazed balsamic chicken, chicken piccata, clementine pancake bites, honey mustard chicken pita pockets and lemon chicken and asparagus stir-fry (which was horrible). It reminded me that I hate soy sauce.

There are a ton of food videos on FB and so I've given them a shot. I've come to realize I can't bake worth a damn.
    Geez Janet, sounds like the dishes I am investigating. One thing I know for sure already, I am going to bake more of the same bread for a while, and I love how the Yorkshire pudding is turning out!! (along with a good steak/beef dish!). But I need to keep trying new things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    MmMmmMmm... sounds good. I like cooking, my only issue is I don't like cooking for one. So, if the kids aren't with me.. it's just a basic sammich or salad.
    Hey eb, I'll drop by!!

Geez Janet, sounds like the dishes I am investigating. One thing I know for sure already, I am going to bake more of the same bread for a while, and I love how the Yorkshire pudding is turning out!! (along with a good steak/beef dish!). But I need to keep trying new things as well.

Hey eb, I'll drop by!!
    Me too; bring the bread you're making.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Me too; bring the bread you're making.
    We have to decide where to meet.....eb's in NorCal, Greg's also in Cali, you are in chowda country, and I am in the great white north! Not sure about Rancid's locale. Regardless, I would prefer a California gathering, because I think it would be so cool to wine and dine in wine country, but I have not been to Beantown, and I have to go there someday!

OK gang, lets get our aprons on, and start cooking........and drinking!!!

FTR.....weather looks bad in California again, but seemingly to include more of the south. I was looking into travel possibilities, including Palm Springs, and the forecast is not good! You folks have more details? Perhaps the weather info I viewed is exaggerated. Hope so!
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.

We have to decide where to meet.....eb's in NorCal, Greg's also in Cali, you are in chowda country, and I am in the great white north! Not sure about Rancid's locale. Regardless, I would prefer a California gathering, because I think it would be so cool to wine and dine in wine country, but I have not been to Beantown, and I have to go there someday!

OK gang, lets get our aprons on, and start cooking........and drinking!!!

FTR.....weather looks bad in California again, but seemingly to include more of the south. I was looking into travel possibilities, including Palm Springs, and the forecast is not good! You folks have more details? Perhaps the weather info I viewed is exaggerated. Hope so!
    No, buddy - three plus inches of rain is on tap for Sunday/Monday. I can't believe it...I've never been so happy living here! Long range forecast looks good though for now. But, just about every week we've had some pretty good storms.

Hey, is Colorado kinda sorta in the epicenter of all of us? How about a Mile High eat and greet! Napa in Cali is cool with me - no shortage of fine wines and the gourmet foods to pair it with, it's just a bit of a walk for all other parties. I'm down with Beantown (so much history that I'd love to see), and certainly cool with the great white north.

Ohhh, wait, I think we should meet up on Food Network...Cooks Vs. Cons. Except you and J could totally out-cook me. I'm more of a dessert maker, cookies, fudge, crème brûlée, etc...you know, just the important stuff.

Hey eb, I'll drop by!!
    Do it! I make a great grilled cheese!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    Do it! I make a great grilled cheese!!!
    eb......sounds awesome!!! One of the all time classic meals.

Hey, did you see the movie "Chef", and the part where Jon Favreau makes a beautiful grilled cheese?....and when the show ends and they roll out the credits, they reveal the expert teaching Favreau how to do it. It is one of the finer scenes in the movie in my books, given how simple the dish, but how amazing the care in making it!

So I make another loaf, with a small change in the mix (more whole wheat). I grease the pan a bit more, because the last loaf took me a bit of skill to remove from the pan. Out comes the final product, and this time it seems almost glued to the pan, even with the additional oil. I try using a knife to remove, and my wife jumps in, boasting about her cooking secrets and why I should listen. This time I feel like we are going to rip off the top, and the bottom feels stuck, and that is a real problem. So....after well over 5 minutes, we decide to cut an end piece. It comes out reluctantly. And sitting there, it does not look happy.....

Anyway.....with the bread removed finally, I wrap it up, and moan about the disaster.

Later I cut a piece.........

IT IS FABULOUS!!!!!