Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CanDB, have you always enjoyed cooking? I've hated cooking for as long as I could remember. My parents forced each kid to choose a day of the week and cook for the whole family. I always tried to do something gross or order pizza to get around it.

My wife wishes that I'd help more, but again... I HATE cooking. Love food, love eating, am a bit of a foody and respect the "art of cooking," but just can't get into it. Have any advice on altering the mindset?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    CanDB, have you always enjoyed cooking? I've hated cooking for as long as I could remember. My parents forced each kid to choose a day of the week and cook for the whole family. I always tried to do something gross or order pizza to get around it.

My wife wishes that I'd help more, but again... I HATE cooking. Love food, love eating, am a bit of a foody and respect the "art of cooking," but just can't get into it. Have any advice on altering the mindset?
    Thx for asking Josh! No, I have not always enjoyed cooking. For most of my life I have stuck to the basics of BBQing along with eggs, pancakes, and an assortment of simple dishes. And yes, even as a supposedly mature adult, I could order pizzas and burgers without a second thought. Luckily my wife is a darn good cook, which is something she too wasn't wild about til we settled down. Now she is really good!

But I have made a commitment to her and myself to expand my cooking borders....which are pretty tight! So far so good. And it is fun. Especially this silly bread thing, watching it rise like some sort of chemistry project!

But as we reflect, it's the one who does all the washing of the dishes that should get most of the accolades, given not everything can be thrown straight into the dishwasher!

Yea, that is the arrangement we have currently. Whoever cooks, the other does the dishes. So, naturally... I always do the dishes. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Yea, that is the arrangement we have currently. Whoever cooks, the other does the dishes. So, naturally... I always do the dishes. Ha
    Not sure if I gave much advice, other than to treat it like a chemistry project, where you take basic food and magically make it amazingly tasty, and cooked to perfection! Enjoy the ride. Experiment. Question how you could have made it even better (if it turns out). Once you give it a whirl, employ some twists to the recipes. Take it on as a challenge, or a puzzle that needs to be solved.

Bottom line.....watch the bread rise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    eb......sounds awesome!!! One of the all time classic meals.

Hey, did you see the movie "Chef", and the part where Jon Favreau makes a beautiful grilled cheese?....and when the show ends and they roll out the credits, they reveal the expert teaching Favreau how to do it. It is one of the finer scenes in the movie in my books, given how simple the dish, but how amazing the care in making it!
    I never saw that. I often fry up some bacon for them too. My kids love them!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    I never saw that. I often fry up some bacon for them too. My kids love them!!!
    If you have Netflix I believe the movie is still playing. If in a hurry, skip to the end, when the credits start. They sneak it in. But the movie is pretty good, so I suggest people watch the whole thing, and see the scene that it happens in.......but still watch the final credit section.

Bit of a hurry tonight, so just making grilled cheese sandwiches, with a few extra ingredients......bacon and tomato. (As mentioned previously) I am inspired by the movie, "The Chef", with this fabulous scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdUGdxX7ww

I have fallen in love again with grilled cheese sandwiches! (The bacon and tomato added just the right touch)

I have fallen in love again with grilled cheese sandwiches! (The bacon and tomato added just the right touch)
    FTR, last Wednesday was National Grilled Cheese Day, and it just so happened to fall on the day we are making them. May sound boring to some, but there are many types of cheese, and many fillings you can add, to get the total grilled cheese experience!

Funny story... when doing GC you can use butter or mayo on the outside to ry the bread. Well, the kid's mom(when we first started dating) said she would NEVER eat mayo and would know if I used it. What did I do? Made her GC with mayo and when she got about half way through I asked how it was. SHe said it was one of the best she had ever had!! I told her it was mayo... she about lost her mind saying I was lying, so I made another and let her watch. SHe tasted it and lost her mind again!!

Funny story... when doing GC you can use butter or mayo on the outside to ry the bread. Well, the kid's mom(when we first started dating) said she would NEVER eat mayo and would know if I used it. What did I do? Made her GC with mayo and when she got about half way through I asked how it was. SHe said it was one of the best she had ever had!! I told her it was mayo... she about lost her mind saying I was lying, so I made another and let her watch. SHe tasted it and lost her mind again!!
    Grilled cheese with tomato and mayo... ��

Throw in some smoked ham or bacon with tomato soup on the side and some fried cheese garnish... words fail me now

I was going to continue with a new recipe this week but have offered my wife a much better opportunity......picking up among the finest hamburgers and fries this city has to offer instead. I think she is giving me a big !!!

(when in doubt, cheeseburger and fries tend to win over most folks!!)

I finally got a veggie spiralizer... made a pesto chicken with zucchini strings instead of pasta... YUM YUM!!!

I finally got a veggie spiralizer... made a pesto chicken with zucchini strings instead of pasta... YUM YUM!!!
    Cmon eb, this is a family friendly site.........

There are many tools and gadgets for cooking and baking.....

The first time i made hand made ravioli, i only had a rolling pin....couldve baked them as calzones lol
    Glen Haven Fire