Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    813
    PS I see you are a fellow Kansan, Freyaka. I grew up in the Wichita area before moving to Denver 12 years ago.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,483
    There are lots and lots of fora for Star Wars and a veritable, massive multitude of fans who were there from the getgo in 1977 --including yours truly! Quite a number of fans had critical remarks for TFA when it came out, and it wasn't lost on legions of us that TFA was a retread of ANH's plot, with a good deal of fan-servicing thrown in. All that is blatantly obvious and the thoughts that observed this were distracting during the film, as soon as BB8 was sent off into the desert with secret information the First Order wants, in fact. While that criticism is there, and quite valid, I don't know too many people who actually hate it, and it is widely considered better than the first two prequels, or all three, a roughly mid-range effort in the franchise rankings.

    As for The Last Jedi, I expect it to be a lot better, and more of an original story - I'm very excited for it! They clearly and intentionally used the classic formula to capture a new generation of fans, to introduce and establish new characters, and now they can get moving on telling the main story of Luke, how the Jedi renewal fell apart, and how the Sith somehow survived. Is Snokes Darth Plagueis? Palpatine's master who allegedly had power to restore life, possibly even his own after Palpatine "murdered" him? Kylo will probably kill Luke too (why the new logo is symbollically red instead of yellow like all the others) and it will be up to Rey to take down the Sith in Ep. 9. Will Yoda's ghost finish her training so she can?
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 01-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    It's interesting you've seen that... I've been chastised for disliking it. I've only ever met 1 other person who disliked it.
    You're entitled to dislike any film that you don't genuinely enjoy and openly voice that criticism. And you're not alone. TFA is hardly an original masterpiece.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    You're entitled to dislike any film that you don't genuinely enjoy and openly voice that criticism. And you're not alone. TFA is hardly an original masterpiece.
    Yeah my brother caught onto the new hope similarities right away. He still likes the force awakens but he wasn't wowed as much as everyone else because of it. But that was his own opinion not something he decided from reading the Internet.

    But Freyaka is 100% correct that a lot of America tends to follow that mantra of being influenced when it becomes cool to hate something.

    My best friend is really awful at leaving the theater and telling me he liked something a lot and 6 months later in a group text he will say it was the hottest garbage of the year. And I'm just like what the heck changed since we saw it together.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    It's interesting you've seen that... I've been chastised for disliking it. I've only ever met 1 other person who disliked it.
    I see a whole lot of it actually. Everyone I know (both here, reddit and another Broncos forum) that doesn't like it liked it initially and then suddenly started disliking it due to it being too similar to episode 4, I'm not saying that fits you, that's why I'm indicating my post was mostly in general and not directed toward you, but I've seen a lot of people that basically dislike it after realizing it was similar.

    I've been to Wichita many times, I actually live and grew up in the Salina area which is more middle of the state.


  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,316
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    You're entitled to dislike any film that you don't genuinely enjoy and openly voice that criticism. And you're not alone. TFA is hardly an original masterpiece.
    And I don't have an issue with people not liking it, I get it has it's flaws, I just find it humorous because I've seen people (both in person and online) that absolutely loved it, then one person pointed out to them the similarities and suddenly it wasn't a good movie anymore.

    If you enjoyed it before, you would think you'd still be able to enjoy it especially if you didn't recognize the similarities yourself.

    It wasn't the best of the series by any means, but I loved it for what it was, a return to star wars. To me the prequels were utter garbage and I put it above all those, it was if you will "a new hope" if you'll forgive the intentional pun because it showed me that star wars was capable of recapturing what made it so great originally.

    So sure, they played it safe and made it familiar, but that's because they didn't want it falling flat on it's face and killing the franchise. I expect episode 8 to be it's own tale and take more risks (especially since Rogue one showed that it can be original and succeed.)


  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Yeah my brother caught onto the new hope similarities right away. He still likes the force awakens but he wasn't wowed as much as everyone else because of it. But that was his own opinion not something he decided from reading the Internet.

    But Freyaka is 100% correct that a lot of America tends to follow that mantra of being influenced when it becomes cool to hate something.

    My best friend is really awful at leaving the theater and telling me he liked something a lot and 6 months later in a group text he will say it was the hottest garbage of the year. And I'm just like what the heck changed since we saw it together.
    Yup, you nailed it with your friend... Same thing happened with Batman...They love it, but then when they get to talking to other people or reading other opinions they change their mind and think it was garbage...

    Gotta love the hivemind mentality, everyone else doesn't like it so I guess I don't like it either, maybe I was wrong to have ever have liked it and other people know better than I do.


  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Yup, you nailed it with your friend... Same thing happened with Batman...They love it, but then when they get to talking to other people or reading other opinions they change their mind and think it was garbage...

    Gotta love the hivemind mentality, everyone else doesn't like it so I guess I don't like it either, maybe I was wrong to have ever have liked it and other people know better than I do.
    I know you and I disagree on a lot of tv shows and movies. And I don't really mind because we have different tastes. So we just disagree on what's good instead of just going with what the other said online.

    I actually witness my best friend praising Bales Batman and during the course of a text change his mind because the other two were bashing it and his wife also said she didn't like it.

    I get told a lot I have bad taste in movies because I like things other people say are bad and don't always like some of the popular stuff. But I like what I like. Not what people tell me I should like.
    Last edited by DenverBlood; 01-24-2017 at 02:59 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I know you and I disagree on a lot of tv shows and movies. And I don't really mind because we have different tastes. So we just disagree on what's good instead of just going with what the other said online.

    I actually witness my best friend praising Bales Batman and during the course of a text change his mind because the other two were bashing it and his wife also said she didn't like it.

    I get told a lot I have bad taste in movies because I like things other people say are bad and don't always like some of the popular stuff. But I like what I like. Not what people tell me I should like.
    Yup the infamous "batvoice" I mean granted, he did sound like he had throat cancer...it was excessive, but it in no way ruined the movie. Some as soon as someone mentioned it was over the top went from liking the movie to "you know, you are right...I just can't enjoy it anymore"

    Resistance is futile I guess and all that...


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    montreal Canada
    Posts
    7,524
    I loved TFA. It was a good movie, sure there some similarities with a new hope, but it was still a good movie, i really liked the character.

    I think ep 8 will be more original and even better then ep 7. Hopefully we see Luke do some bad ass stuff, and we get answers to the questions from TFA


    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,364
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    I loved TFA. It was a good movie, sure there some similarities with a new hope, but it was still a good movie, i really liked the character.

    I think ep 8 will be more original and even better then ep 7. Hopefully we see Luke do some bad ass stuff, and we get answers to the questions from TFA
    I think most people liked it. But time goes by and they just forget without seeing it again.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    COLORADO
    Posts
    6,875
    I think jj played it safe with TFA. If you watch south park they pretty nailed it on what people thought of after watching TFA. As for me i koved TFA. Is it the best SW movie? No but it had its great scenes and i find myself smiling like i did when first watched ANH.

    As for ep.8 man i really hope this doesn't mean the end of luke. Maybe its a passing of the torch to rey and she's the last of the jedi. I hope not.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, NM
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Basically everyone liked it when they first saw it, then a couple people starting saying it was a remake of episode 4 and now suddenly it's an abomination... People can't think for themselves these days, gotta go with what the group mind tells them.

    I still enjoyed it an awful lot...
    I loved it as well, watch it all the time. I don't care if i its a clone of ANH, its fantastic!


    Adopted Bronco 2016 Andy Janovich

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I wish JJ Abrams would not be anywhere near SW ever again. He did alright with the Trek remakes, but episode 7 was an abomination.
    Agreed, from the leaks I read this one is going to be no different, sadly.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Basically everyone liked it when they first saw it, then a couple people starting saying it was a remake of episode 4 and now suddenly it's an abomination... People can't think for themselves these days, gotta go with what the group mind tells them.

    I still enjoyed it an awful lot...
    It's not just that.

    For me it craps on the originals and makes them worthless.

    For example, after the original trilogy the following were a given.

    1) Luke was going to recreate the Jedi; Luke also proved he would not abandon his friends (through the Cloud City fiasco and the fact that he masterminded the rescue of Han from Jabba's Palace)
    2) Han and Leia were a happy couple; Han was faithful and no longer left at the first time if trouble (as he tried to do in IV and V)
    3) The Empire was defeated

    But VII says the following happened

    1) Luke abandons his friends and family by fleeing to some unknown planet; he failed to restore the Jedi
    2) Han and Leia split and he returned to his old ways of fleeing at the first sign of trouble (by abandoning Leia and the Resistance)
    3) The Empire just rebranded itself as the First Order

    Luke, Han, Leia, and the Rebellion were a failure. That is the premise of Force Awakens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •