Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Root Canal Tips

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959

    Root Canal Tips

    I am no stranger to root canals. In fact, I think I could do my own tooth, given the number of procedures I have had.

    They do not worry me at all. BUT, I need another one, and I have to wait a month....and suddenly the tooth is hurting more regularly!

    I am trying to get an earlier appointment, but this guy is booked solid! Other than advil or booze, any suggestions to relieve the sometimes dull pain?

    Now, if you suggest putting a string around the tooth, and attaching string to said door....well, maybe next time!: (but thanks for the thought)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,504
    What are they like? I had my teeth cleaned and some fillings put in a week ago and they said I need my first one on a back molar. The tooth istself doesnt hurt now so that's good, I'mjust gonna wait for a bit to get it done. Is the procedure painful?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    What are they like? I had my teeth cleaned and some fillings put in a week ago and they said I need my first one on a back molar. The tooth istself doesnt hurt now so that's good, I'mjust gonna wait for a bit to get it done. Is the procedure painful?
    Hey Housh.....missed your post til now.

    Basically when well frozen you feel nothing. But do not be surprised if you see a small trail of smoke coming out of your mouth at some point, unless the procedure has changed. They sort of weld things a wee bit, probably to seal things after they take care of the nerves in question. But no real pain as far as I can recall. And I have never had any setbacks afterward. Now, you may have to get a crown soon after, because they sometimes leave the tooth more vulnerable, after doing the procedure. If worn too much, you can break it if not careful. Typically you get temporary protection which may be good enough for years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Oh by the way, I have a tip for myself. Get an appointment earlier thanks to a cancellation. I go tomorrow!

    You can tell my life is getting kinda weird.....I was excited to get the call to have a root canal appointment moved up!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey Housh.....missed your post til now.

    Basically when well frozen you feel nothing. But do not be surprised if you see a small trail of smoke coming out of your mouth at some point, unless the procedure has changed. They sort of weld things a wee bit, probably to seal things after they take care of the nerves in question. But no real pain as far as I can recall. And I have never had any setbacks afterward. Now, you may have to get a crown soon after, because they sometimes leave the tooth more vulnerable, after doing the procedure. If worn too much, you can break it if not careful. Typically you get temporary protection which may be good enough for years.
    Smoke coming out of your mouth?!?

    Egad, man! It brings new meaning to the notion of getting smoked by Doc Holliday!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Smoke coming out of your mouth?!?

    Egad, man! It brings new meaning to the notion of getting smoked by Doc Holliday!
    They put some rubber type material in the tooth. and I believe they melt/weld it, in the canal......I think it seals the canal. Might be wrong.

    No biggee, but the first time was weird!!!! "Doc,I am on fire!!!!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    They put some rubber type material in the tooth. and I believe they melt/weld it, in the canal......I think it seals the canal. Might be wrong.

    No biggee, but the first time was weird!!!! "Doc,I am on fire!!!!"
    Ugh, sounds most unpleasant.

    Well, good luck in the chair, bud...hope all goes well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Ugh, sounds most unpleasant.

    Well, good luck in the chair, bud...hope all goes well.
    The freezing is coming out as we speak. It went very well, except I did have to raise my hand once because my dentist was drilling and I felt some pain.....which is not good given you are supposedly numb! A little more medication and I was ok.

    And yes......I was "Smokin" again. I was like a car tire on a speedway.....burning rubber (but in my mouth??!?!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The freezing is coming out as we speak. It went very well, except I did have to raise my hand once because my dentist was drilling and I felt some pain.....which is not good given you are supposedly numb! A little more medication and I was ok.

    And yes......I was "Smokin" again. I was like a car tire on a speedway.....burning rubber (but in my mouth??!?!)
    Can the man, with the smokin’ speedway chompers! Put that on a plaque --- wait, the other kind of plaque. Well, as long as you didn’t set off the smoke detector, I guess all’s well that ends well!

    Glad everything worked out!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,504
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey Housh.....missed your post til now.

    Basically when well frozen you feel nothing. But do not be surprised if you see a small trail of smoke coming out of your mouth at some point, unless the procedure has changed. They sort of weld things a wee bit, probably to seal things after they take care of the nerves in question. But no real pain as far as I can recall. And I have never had any setbacks afterward. Now, you may have to get a crown soon after, because they sometimes leave the tooth more vulnerable, after doing the procedure. If worn too much, you can break it if not careful. Typically you get temporary protection which may be good enough for years.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think the smoke would bother me, just the pain if there was any. Glad yours went well.

    I had a piece of gum earlier after eating and it got caught on the edge of one of my molars when i took it out, and when I pulled all of it out half that tooth came with it so I guess I better go in soon ha. There's a big hole and the nerve root is open but there's strangely no pain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Can the man, with the smokin’ speedway chompers! Put that on a plaque --- wait, the other kind of plaque. Well, as long as you didn’t set off the smoke detector, I guess all’s well that ends well!

    Glad everything worked out!
    Your use of words might just beet another thread around here. Speaking of which, my wife made a great salad last night, and when I went to the can, I saw red!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think the smoke would bother me, just the pain if there was any. Glad yours went well.

    I had a piece of gum earlier after eating and it got caught on the edge of one of my molars when i took it out, and when I pulled all of it out half that tooth came with it so I guess I better go in soon ha. There's a big hole and the nerve root is open but there's strangely no pain.
    Maybe get that looked at Housh. But I must say, no pain is a good compromise.

    But believe me, the brief pain I had today (other than the obvious annoyance of the needles) was taken care of as soon as I gave them an alert. Mind you, I used the old raised hand signal, because otherwise I would have mumbled something like, "blah blah blah".....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    The smoke didn't bother me, but I did feel a little green.....


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Your use of words might just beet another thread around here. Speaking of which, my wife made a great salad last night, and when I went to the can, I saw red!!!
    How to beet a root canal!

    REDLOG….REDLOG – Hey, weird! REDLOG backwards is GOLDER. The Shining knows no bounds to its evil genius!

    Did you crown that tooth with gold?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    How to beet a root canal!

    REDLOG….REDLOG – Hey, weird! REDLOG backwards is GOLDER. The Shining knows no bounds to its evil genius!

    Did you crown that tooth with gold?
    Awww The Shining!!! BTW, we visited that hotel associated with the movie, just outside Denver....think it was The Stanley(????)

    Not gold, but it was another crowning moment......until I saw the bill!!! Once again today, I saw red!!

    Thank heaven for a decent dental plan!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Awww The Shining!!! BTW, we visited that hotel associated with the movie, just outside Denver....think it was The Stanley(????)

    Not gold, but it was another crowning moment......until I saw the bill!!! Once again today, I saw red!!

    Thank heaven for a decent dental plan!!
    The legendary Stanley Hotel! My wife and I spent a memorable night in that haunted abode! We arrived a few days prior to Halloween and found the hotel bathed in an eerie red light. We had heard all sorts of ghost stories from those that have stayed and were excited to have our own poltergeist encounter - REDRUM! REDRUM!

    Without any confirmed ghost sightings, we retired for the night back to our room on the fourth floor, only to find a group of people with EMF detectors outside our door! We sort of chuckled, and settled in for the night. When my wife woke up the next morning, a diamond stud earring was missing from her left ear (it was there when she went to sleep). It wasn't in the bed, anywhere on the floor, or anywhere in our room. It just...vanished during the night! Of course, the only logical explanation - she must have been burgled by a ghost!

    But back to the toothy subject...thank goodness for a dental plan - some of those prices will scare you to death!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •