• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shawinkerpoppin
    Special Teams
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    Edit: wow, just did some reading on Hankins likely payday, some suggest 10m annually. I change my stance if that's the number.
    It makes sense for him to gun for that. He wants a deal similar to what Harrison got. He is only 24 so the contract would be based on the fact that he still in theory hasn't capped his potential. That contract is gonna be a back loaded contract with a final year he never sees if he gets a deal like that lol.

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
      Ring of Famer
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      I think he'll make a splash or two, particularly on the lines. But depth is as big of an issue (especially on the defensive line) as talent. So I think there will be more economic signings than big ones.

But there are people who want assume Denver will add a bunch of big name free agents just because of Elway, I don't think that happens.
      I tend to agree with you, but you gotta admit, the uncertainty is pretty exciting lol.

I think it would be wise to add talented depth over big names. One of the reasons our defense was so good was because our rotation was so deep. We have to stop the run first and foremost, and we don't have to spend 10+ million a year on one guy to do that.

Aside from talent, coaching our players up could make a big difference. The tackling last season was pretty bad throughout the season (TJ Ward).
      Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

• bronco30
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
        Realistically i'd like Romo, Baker, a cheaper DL, Lang or Leary, and a T (idk who)
        lawrence guy from ravens might be an option on the cheaper side

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
          Ring of Famer
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
          It makes sense for him to gun for that. He wants a deal similar to what Harrison got. He is only 24 so the contract would be based on the fact that he still in theory hasn't capped his potential. That contract is gonna be a back loaded contract with a final year he never sees if he gets a deal like that lol.
          That's probably all true, but 4/40 with 20 guaranteed seems pretty rich to me for that guy. 4/24-28 seems more reasonable. Maybe 16 guaranteed. I don't know, these contracts always seem to surprise me.

Comment

• TheAsianPA
            Captain
            • Oct 2015

I tend to agree with you, but you gotta admit, the uncertainty is pretty exciting lol.

I think it would be wise to add talented depth over big names. One of the reasons our defense was so good was because our rotation was so deep. We have to stop the run first and foremost, and we don't have to spend 10+ million a year on one guy to do that.

Aside from talent, coaching our players up could make a big difference. The tackling last season was pretty bad throughout the season (TJ Ward).
            Well said. I actually hope we sign Vance Walker before spending huge money on someone like Hightower. Though I wonder if his missing the entire 2016 season has an impact on his future contract value, making us his only reasonable choice?
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• TheAsianPA
              Captain
              • Oct 2015

Apparently, per Mike Klis, we may be sharing mutual interest for DE Chris Baker with Tampa Bay. Wonder if that means a contract/bidding war for an above average lineman.

"Broncos, Tampa Bay are teams hot on DT/DE Chris Baker, per source. Jacksonville in play for DL Calais Campbell. #9sports"
              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
                Ring of Famer
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                Well said. I actually hope we sign Vance Walker before spending huge money on someone like Hightower. Though I wonder if his missing the entire 2016 season has an impact on his future contract value, making us his only reasonable choice?
                I would love to bring Walker back. His impact was missed in the running game, which was the biggest issue with our defense. We have talented pass rushers, I'm comfortable with that aspect of our defense. We have to be able to earn the right to unleash those guys by putting teams into 3rd and long. I trust Elway will find those guys, injury played a big role last year. We need to get back to having good depth to survive those injuries.

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
                  Ring of Famer
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                  Apparently, per Mike Klis, we may be sharing mutual interest for DE Chris Baker with Tampa Bay. Wonder if that means a contract/bidding war for an above average lineman.

"Broncos, Tampa Bay are teams hot on DT/DE Chris Baker, per source. Jacksonville in play for DL Calais Campbell. #9sports"
                  With the reported numbers surrounding Williams, Poe and Hankins, I wonder what Bakers price tag could be. If it's 5-6, I definitely see the value. If it's up around 8, would Williams be better from a value stand point at around 10?

Comment

• ERoyal248
                    All-Pro
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                    Correction: I just saw you put " and a T". My bad but maybe you can still explain lol
                    Regarding T, there isnt much lol.

Whitworth is 35 and i dont see Elway getting in a bidding war for him.

Okung if his price drops.

Then you have Wagner, Reiff. Wagner will cost a bunch, Reiff could be a nice signing dependngi what he wants but i dont know.

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
                      Ring of Famer
                      • Dec 2011

Regarding T, there isnt much lol.

Whitworth is 35 and i dont see Elway getting in a bidding war for him.

Okung if his price drops.

Then you have Wagner, Reiff. Wagner will cost a bunch, Reiff could be a nice signing dependngi what he wants but i dont know.
                      I am curious about Reiff as well. The limited I know of him he seems to be a better run blocker than pass protector though. He could be considerable cheaper than the other guys though, can't wait to see what John has up his sleeve.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                        All-Pro
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        I think he'll make a splash or two, particularly on the lines. But depth is as big of an issue (especially on the defensive line) as talent. So I think there will be more economic signings than big ones.

But there are people who want assume Denver will add a bunch of big name free agents just because of Elway, I don't think that happens.
                        yep, only splashes i see are perhaps Romo, and a couple OL. DL i dont see him going for the big money guys. Baker would be really good, wont cost as much as a Poe, Hankins, Calais or WIlliams, maybe even Logan either.

Which is fine.Baker and a cheaper DL would be fine with me as well as a G and T, then see what happens once Romo is cut.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                          All-Pro
                          • Aug 2009

I am curious about Reiff as well. The limited I know of him he seems to be a better run blocker than pass protector though. He could be considerable cheaper than the other guys though, can't wait to see what John has up his sleeve.
                          Literally every team has money to spend lol, theres really 4 good guards, probably about 4 or 5 tackles, then it really lessens as far as quality on the OL.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                            All-Pro
                            • Aug 2009

I would love to bring Walker back. His impact was missed in the running game, which was the biggest issue with our defense. We have talented pass rushers, I'm comfortable with that aspect of our defense. We have to be able to earn the right to unleash those guys by putting teams into 3rd and long. I trust Elway will find those guys, injury played a big role last year. We need to get back to having good depth to survive those injuries.
                            Teams attacked us differently last year but teams picking up 3 yards, then 2-3 on the ground made it much easier for the team on offense.

Instead of 3rd and 7-8+, it's 3rd, 2-3, which is massively better. Gotta stop the run and make teams throw into the No Fly Zone.

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
                              Ring of Famer
                              • Dec 2011

Literally every team has money to spend lol, theres really 4 good guards, probably about 4 or 5 tackles, then it really lessens as far as quality on the OL.
                              That's true, and lineman seem to be at a premium in today's NFL with less and less being ready out of college. I think we're gonna have to drop big money on at least one guy, which should be a LT imo. To me that means Whitworth on a short term deal, maybe Wagner. I don't like the idea of breaking the bank for a RT though.

Comment

• JJBroncoFan
                                Ring of Famer
                                • Dec 2011

Teams attacked us differently last year but teams picking up 3 yards, then 2-3 on the ground made it much easier for the team on offense.

Instead of 3rd and 7-8+, it's 3rd, 2-3, which is massively better. Gotta stop the run and make teams throw into the No Fly Zone.
                                Agreed, but they got there by bullying us quite a bit. They couldn't do that the year before, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Our offense didn't help matters, as they put no pressure on the other team to score, which plays into our defenses strengths. Any good defense has to stop the run first and foremost, we didn't do that well last season.

Comment

Working...
                                X