Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Respect for Broncos and a question

Obviously I am a Pats fan and I do like to talk trash sometimes. However charmed I feel the Pats are over the latest Super Bowl win, I do admit that you guys are like our only big foil in the AFC and our hunt for Super Bowls. (Eli too of course but he is NFC)

It is real, because between 05, 13 and 15.. I think we win 2 out of three of those SBs if we had not been stopped by Denver.

05 - We would host Steelers in AFCCG, win, then probably beat Seahawks
    13- If we somehow beat you we probably lose to Seahawks but you never know
    15- Your D killed us, we missed PAT, scrweed up 2 point conversion, etc. I think we smash the Panthers if we had got past you..

So my question, and I am sincerely asking, is there some amount of pride you take being basically our AFC foil for the most part?

The Pats have lived a mostly charmed existence in the AFC, dominating our division, 11 AFCCG appearances, 7 SBs.. 3 - 0 against the Steelers, another great AFC team, in AFCCG and regular season.

Overall Brady has a losing record to you and Aaron Rodgers GB (0-1).

Some day I hope the Pats win a Super Bowl having to go through you.

Honestly, I don't have any pride for our team being your biggest hurdle. I do take pride that our team has owned your team and that Brady knows it.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

You Own us at home, we spank you at Gillette

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Honestly, I don't have any pride for our team being your biggest hurdle. I do take pride that our team has owned your team and that Brady knows it.
    You Own us at home, we spank you at Gillette

Brady would and does toy with you at Foxboro.

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Plus your windows shutting hard. no?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady2Gronk View Post
    Plus your windows shutting hard. no?

When Brady retires Belicheck probably goes with him in retirement then you may see the greatest bubble burst in sports for a long time when the perennial contenders in NE return to perennial losers.

from 1974 to 1989 we were pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    When Brady retires Belicheck probably goes with him in retirement then you may see the greatest bubble burst in sports for a long time when the perennial contenders in NE return to perennial losers.
    That is when I grew up with the team and had season tickets with my dad at the old stadium. In 1976 their offense was considered revolutionary, and the 1978 team is still to this day the number one NFL rushing team of all time.

We tended to under achieve and it was harder to make the playoffs. You guys were 0 for 3 or 4 in SBs, we were 0 for 1... But you did beat us ina tough playoff game in Denver in 1987.

Pats were good team when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady2Gronk View Post
    Obviously I am a Pats fan and I do like to talk trash sometimes. However charmed I feel the Pats are over the latest Super Bowl win, I do admit that you guys are like our only big foil in the AFC and our hunt for Super Bowls. (Eli too of course but he is NFC)

It is real, because between 05, 13 and 15.. I think we win 2 out of three of those SBs if we had not been stopped by Denver.

05 - We would host Steelers in AFCCG, win, then probably beat Seahawks
    13- If we somehow beat you we probably lose to Seahawks but you never know
    15- Your D killed us, we missed PAT, scrweed up 2 point conversion, etc. I think we smash the Panthers if we had got past you..

So my question, and I am sincerely asking, is there some amount of pride you take being basically our AFC foil for the most part?

The Pats have lived a mostly charmed existence in the AFC, dominating our division, 11 AFCCG appearances, 7 SBs.. 3 - 0 against the Steelers, another great AFC team, in AFCCG and regular season.

Overall Brady has a losing record to you and Aaron Rodgers GB (0-1).

Some day I hope the Pats win a Super Bowl having to go through you.
    I believe I speak for all that it makes for a great rivalry and intense matchup. If you're a smack forum visitor, you'll be often reminded of the stats you mentioned. But there's no ring for beating the patriots unless you do it in the SB. The fans take pride in seeing the Broncos get one.

Quote Originally Posted by 602BroncoFan View Post
    I believe I speak for all that it makes for a great rivalry and intense matchup. If you're a smack forum visitor, you'll be often reminded of the stats you mentioned. But there's no ring for beating the patriots unless you do it in the SB. The fans take pride in seeing the Broncos get one.
    During the AFC Super Bowl drought I often was rooting for Denver in the Super Bowl, and whenever you did not play the Patriots because I loved John Elway. Elway was my favorite quarterback with Grogan as my second favorite until Brady.

And I was very happy when you broke the AFC Super Bowl drought against the Packers. That felt like a huge relief at that time.

Patriots and Broncos are both good organizations because they are consistently competitive. Compare that to a bunch of his or miss ones that care more about collecting a paycheck than pride or winning.
    I believe.

Hit or miss orgs like the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills? Organizations that have been terrible for 10-15+ years?
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Thank you for a classy respectful post. I don't see the need for hostility toward opposing fans at this time. Seasons over. You're champs.

NE and DEN are very storied organizations and I'm proud to be part of such a rivalry.

I like the OP - even more when the trolls come out of the forest of Smack, shower, shave, and show themselves to be real people. Nobody can fault a fan for their fandom (though we might argue it's slightly misplaced).

I think B2G is right, Denver was a spoiler in more than a handful of seasons. As for counterparts and pride, interesting question. In part, probably though I don't know if it is thought that way in the big context. In a win in a big game, absolutely, but overall it's more like the Hatfields and the McCoys. We've gone so far beyond whatever issue there was to begin with we are now just stuck enjoying the respective hate each has for the other.

It may be more of a pride in who we see ourselves as a team to be just as, I am sure, there is pride NE fans have in whom them see their team to be. It need not make sense. In fact, the less sense it makes the better.

I do take pride in the Broncos' success vs. the Pats. There's no doubt Denver has been the biggest thorn in New England's side during the Brady/Belichick era, at least in the AFC. It's been a great rivalry.

Two elite organizations. A great rivalry. I think the 2001-16 run for NE has been absolutely tremendous. On the other hand- something to be said for the fact that the Broncos have been in the hunt for the playoffs (at minimum) in December virtually every year since 1984 (save '90, '99 and '10).

I distinctly remember Peyton (while a Colt) saying during one of our mediocre 9-7/8-8 type seasons in the latter Shanahan years that you always had to respect DEN as an organization that had upper-end talent, smart schemes, and a high-degree of professionalism year-in year-out. I suspect looking back on their careers going up against DEN- Belichick & Brady would say the same...
    Last edited by Southern Bronco; 02-21-2017 at 10:11 PM.

The Denver Broncos haven't had back-to-back losing seasons since 1972, if I'm not mistaken. Mile High Stadium has been sold out since 1970, three years before the first winning season. The first AFL game was between the Denver Broncos and the Boston Patriots; Denver won. They were part of the eight charter members of the AFL.

During the Belichick/Brady dynasty, the Broncos have done well, maybe better than most. According to Pro Football Reference, Denver is 26-21 all time against the Pats including 4-1 in the playoffs. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus