Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    816

    Broncos give OL Coach Benton to interview for 49ers OL Coach position

    Joseph has given assistant offensive line coach John Benton permission to speak with the San Francisco 49ers about their vacant offensive line coaching position. Per 12up.com. Not sure how valid the source is, seen it on Facebook. Curious move if true.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    9,154
    It is true.

    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/17...terview-49ers/

    Interesting that he's only been the assistant OL coach for a month, hired January 15, 2017, coming from the Jaguars.

    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/15...ve-line-coach/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,498
    Yeah. The Broncos would not do to Benton what the Bengals did to Joseph in 2015. This situation with Benton as an assistant OL coach was too good to last. He coached Kubiak's OL for 8 seasons, including when Kyle Shanahan was the OC. Logical fit. Davidson + Benton would have been a great combo, but it's fair to allow Benton to become the head OL coach in SF.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    7,738
    I like it. The OTAs haven't started yet and it's the chance for an assistant position coach to get the chance to once again be a lead position coach. I understand the rule and why it's there, and if it was the middle of May I might feel differently but I think as an organization you should always give your people the chance for promotions, and it will help build your reputation as an organization and will help in attracting high profile position coaches (like Bill Musgrave) when they see that if the chance for a promotion is there the Broncos will allow them the chance to investigate it.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,765
    "The Broncos likely will be on the hunt for a new assistant offensive line coach only weeks after signing one."

    I have no problem with coaches being allowed to move up with another team. But after a couple of weeks? Seriously? Why don't we make it a year after being hired, where the coach has actually done something, and then if the Asst. Coach gets an upwards movement offer, then fine. But if our Offensive Line needs anything, it's some "continuity". But I get it. John Lynch and Elway are bros.

    How about letting Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett go to San Francisco if Lynch promises to make them Starters? That's also a move up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    26,783
    In the event John Benton goes to San Francisco, it will be interesting to see if another assistant O-Line coach is hired. Jeff Davidson was the angle blocking guy and Benton the zone guy. Guess they may need another zone guy.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Texas
    Posts
    10,393
    Love it for the Coach, Classy move for the Broncos, Hate it for the team and fans. A little pissed about it. But all in all I hope he gets it and I see it as the right thing to do.



    CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Elway has helped out Lynch on a couple of occasions now with Benton and more importantly Peters.

    The Peters move was huge IMO. Gave Lynch a trusted and solid scouting person. Almost piggy backing off the work the Broncos have done getting ready for the draft.

    Curious if Lynch will return the favor at some point. Would not expect a ridiculous one sided trade at the 49ers expense but maybe Elway is his first call if he decides to make some roster moves?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,498
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Curious if Lynch will return the favor at some point. Would not expect a ridiculous one sided trade at the 49ers expense but maybe Elway is his first call if he decides to make some roster moves?
    Perhaps a blockbuster trade with a discount for the Broncos to get Jonathan Allen at #2. Boom...
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Perhaps a blockbuster trade with a discount for the Broncos to get Jonathan Allen at #2. Boom...
    I was not thinking that big, but if Elway can pull it off I'm in!

    I was thinking more about those little moves that turn out big. Lynch revamping his roster on both sides of the ball might result in a few players that simply do not fit the new regime

    Once Lynch decides to move guys he gives Elway a solid by simply calling him first.

    Thinking more of a mid to late rounder for any of the players I have seen rumored to not fit the 49ers for some reason. DE Carradine, DE Armstead, WR Torrey Smith or ILB Brooks. Any would be welcome additions for the right price.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I was not thinking that big, but if Elway can pull it off I'm in!

    I was thinking more about those little moves that turn out big. Lynch revamping his roster on both sides of the ball might result in a few players that simply do not fit the new regime

    Once Lynch decides to move guys he gives Elway a solid by simply calling him first.

    Thinking more of a mid to late rounder for any of the players I have seen rumored to not fit the 49ers for some reason. DE Carradine, DE Armstead, WR Torrey Smith or ILB Brooks. Any would be welcome additions for the right price.
    Elway has certainly shown interest in Colin Kaepernick, in the past. And maybe the guy who was the 49ers starting Left Tackle (Zane Beadles) at the end of the season could be available at the right price.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,342
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Yeah. The Broncos would not do to Benton what the Bengals did to Joseph in 2015. This situation with Benton as an assistant OL coach was too good to last. He coached Kubiak's OL for 8 seasons, including when Kyle Shanahan was the OC. Logical fit. Davidson + Benton would have been a great combo, but it's fair to allow Benton to become the head OL coach in SF.
    I agree....the combo of those two was a good move imo.

    Also agree with the Broncos letting him interview. Everyone wants to pursue a upgrade in their career.
    "You need the highs and the lows," he says. "Because if it gets this way" -- he draws a flat line in the air -- "it kind of feels like you're not really doing anything." - John Elway

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    26,783
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Elway has certainly shown interest in Colin Kaepernick, in the past. And maybe the guy who was the 49ers starting Left Tackle (Zane Beadles) at the end of the season could be available at the right price.
    He's a good puller.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    He's a good puller.
    I'd rather have Paul or Ringo than Zane.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,921
    Looks like Benton's definitely gone now. I hope we bring in another 'zone' scheme assistant as his replacement.

    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/20...coach-broncos/


    John Benton, hired in January as the Broncosí assistant offensive line coach, was recently granted permission by the team to interview for the 49ersí top offensive line coaching position. On Monday, it was reported by The Sporting News that the sides were finalizing a deal.

    The move was expected when the Broncos allowed him to interview and, according to an NFL source, Benton has already cleared out his belongings from the teamís facility.

    The Broncos will search for a new assistant to work under offensive line coach Jeff Davidson and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, but they donít have a set timetable or targeted replacement yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •