• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgriffeth78
    Bench Warmer
    • Sep 2006

Broncos give OL Coach Benton to interview for 49ers OL Coach position

Joseph has given assistant offensive line coach John Benton permission to speak with the San Francisco 49ers about their vacant offensive line coaching position. Per 12up.com. Not sure how valid the source is, seen it on Facebook. Curious move if true.
  • Rastic
    Modulated
    • Oct 2013

It is true.

Interesting that he's only been the assistant OL coach for a month, hired January 15, 2017, coming from the Jaguars.

The Broncos continued their aggressive push for experienced faces to fill their offensive staff. Their latest move is hiring John Benton as assistant offensive line coach. Benton has 13 years of NF…

Comment

• -Rod-
      #TeamBroncos
      • Mar 2008

Yeah. The Broncos would not do to Benton what the Bengals did to Joseph in 2015. This situation with Benton as an assistant OL coach was too good to last. He coached Kubiak's OL for 8 seasons, including when Kyle Shanahan was the OC. Logical fit. Davidson + Benton would have been a great combo, but it's fair to allow Benton to become the head OL coach in SF.
      sigpic

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

I like it. The OTAs haven't started yet and it's the chance for an assistant position coach to get the chance to once again be a lead position coach. I understand the rule and why it's there, and if it was the middle of May I might feel differently but I think as an organization you should always give your people the chance for promotions, and it will help build your reputation as an organization and will help in attracting high profile position coaches (like Bill Musgrave) when they see that if the chance for a promotion is there the Broncos will allow them the chance to investigate it.

Comment

• gtown53
          All-Pro
          • Apr 2008

"The Broncos likely will be on the hunt for a new assistant offensive line coach only weeks after signing one."

I have no problem with coaches being allowed to move up with another team. But after a couple of weeks? Seriously? Why don't we make it a year after being hired, where the coach has actually done something, and then if the Asst. Coach gets an upwards movement offer, then fine. But if our Offensive Line needs anything, it's some "continuity". But I get it. John Lynch and Elway are bros.

How about letting Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett go to San Francisco if Lynch promises to make them Starters? That's also a move up.

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

In the event John Benton goes to San Francisco, it will be interesting to see if another assistant O-Line coach is hired. Jeff Davidson was the angle blocking guy and Benton the zone guy. Guess they may need another zone guy.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• FL BRONCO
              Traveling Mod
              • Mar 2010

Love it for the Coach, Classy move for the Broncos, Hate it for the team and fans. A little pissed about it. But all in all I hope he gets it and I see it as the right thing to do.
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• FR Tim
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Elway has helped out Lynch on a couple of occasions now with Benton and more importantly Peters.

The Peters move was huge IMO. Gave Lynch a trusted and solid scouting person. Almost piggy backing off the work the Broncos have done getting ready for the draft.

Curious if Lynch will return the favor at some point. Would not expect a ridiculous one sided trade at the 49ers expense but maybe Elway is his first call if he decides to make some roster moves?

Comment

• -Rod-
                  #TeamBroncos
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                  Curious if Lynch will return the favor at some point. Would not expect a ridiculous one sided trade at the 49ers expense but maybe Elway is his first call if he decides to make some roster moves?
                  Perhaps a blockbuster trade with a discount for the Broncos to get Jonathan Allen at #2. Boom...
                  sigpic

Comment

• FR Tim
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                    Perhaps a blockbuster trade with a discount for the Broncos to get Jonathan Allen at #2. Boom...
                    I was not thinking that big, but if Elway can pull it off I'm in!

I was thinking more about those little moves that turn out big. Lynch revamping his roster on both sides of the ball might result in a few players that simply do not fit the new regime

Once Lynch decides to move guys he gives Elway a solid by simply calling him first.

Thinking more of a mid to late rounder for any of the players I have seen rumored to not fit the 49ers for some reason. DE Carradine, DE Armstead, WR Torrey Smith or ILB Brooks. Any would be welcome additions for the right price.

Comment

• gtown53
                      All-Pro
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      I was not thinking that big, but if Elway can pull it off I'm in!

I was thinking more about those little moves that turn out big. Lynch revamping his roster on both sides of the ball might result in a few players that simply do not fit the new regime

Once Lynch decides to move guys he gives Elway a solid by simply calling him first.

Thinking more of a mid to late rounder for any of the players I have seen rumored to not fit the 49ers for some reason. DE Carradine, DE Armstead, WR Torrey Smith or ILB Brooks. Any would be welcome additions for the right price.
                      Elway has certainly shown interest in Colin Kaepernick, in the past. And maybe the guy who was the 49ers starting Left Tackle (Zane Beadles) at the end of the season could be available at the right price.

Comment

• Hadez
                        Football Immortal
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                        Yeah. The Broncos would not do to Benton what the Bengals did to Joseph in 2015. This situation with Benton as an assistant OL coach was too good to last. He coached Kubiak's OL for 8 seasons, including when Kyle Shanahan was the OC. Logical fit. Davidson + Benton would have been a great combo, but it's fair to allow Benton to become the head OL coach in SF.
                        I agree....the combo of those two was a good move imo.

Also agree with the Broncos letting him interview. Everyone wants to pursue a upgrade in their career.
                        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                        effort x talent = skill
                        effort x skill = achievement
                        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• samparnell
                          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                          Elway has certainly shown interest in Colin Kaepernick, in the past. And maybe the guy who was the 49ers starting Left Tackle (Zane Beadles) at the end of the season could be available at the right price.
                          He's a good puller.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• gtown53
                            All-Pro
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            He's a good puller.
                            I'd rather have Paul or Ringo than Zane.

Comment

• Mel B.
                              All-Time Great
                              • Apr 2009

Looks like Benton's definitely gone now. I hope we bring in another 'zone' scheme assistant as his replacement.

The Broncos will search for a new assistant to work under offensive line coach Jeff Davidson and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, but they don’t have a set timetable or targeted replacement …

John Benton, hired in January as the Broncos’ assistant offensive line coach, was recently granted permission by the team to interview for the 49ers’ top offensive line coaching position. On Monday, it was reported by The Sporting News that the sides were finalizing a deal.

The move was expected when the Broncos allowed him to interview and, according to an NFL source, Benton has already cleared out his belongings from the team’s facility.

The Broncos will search for a new assistant to work under offensive line coach Jeff Davidson and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, but they don’t have a set timetable or targeted replacement yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X