• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fantaztic7
    Banned User
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    Again, I'm not really a Cutler fan, but at this point, I just want a guy that can move the chains. I'm not even really worried about putting up 35 points a game, but keeping the offense on the field. I'm tired of these consistent 3 and out drives which limit our chances to score and doesn't allow the defense to rest. Cutler's salary is only supposed to be around $12 mil and isn't guaranteed. He'll likely be cut, and if Elway can get his price down to around 8-10, with incentives, I think I pull the trigger on a 2 year deal, and then look to turn it over to Lynch.
    Even at 8-10 million let's look at Cutler in 2015 when he played 15 games - 258 more yards and 3 TDs better than Siemian. Cutler had 1 more INT. For a QB with 10 years experience, he played slightly better. I just don't see the upside with Cutler. Romo, if not for the injury risk would be better IMO - he's carried the offense in Dallas through seasons when they didn't have the best line.

Why draft a quarterback when we seem to only want veterans to come in?

Comment

• haciendadad
      Starter
      • Feb 2007

Cutler has a strong arm but he isn't accurate with it! He needs a WR to fight for the ball because he is just going to throw it to the vicinity. He used to get mad at his WRs in Chicago because they were expecting the ball to be better placed and when it was intercepted Cutler insisted that the WRs could help by fighting for the ball or trying to strip the ball away after the interception, then Brandon Marshall came to the Bears and Cutler finally had a WR that would do this, but Cutler still has poor accuracy. He is not the answer, he will just frustrate you and the Broncos will just be wasting their time a money.

I was a BIG Cutler fan, probably the last one left but I finally gave up on the guy. He is not the answer. I'd rather fix the OL, get a running game and depth because one of the two young QBs will be the answer. I know us Bronco Fans are not patient, but it will just have to be done the right way and we'll be ok.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
        Special Teams
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        That doesn't fall completely on the quarterbacks. The Broncos lacked a TE threat for most of the season, a poor line and run production. After Anderson went on IR run production dropped to 70 yards/game. Stephenson was the worst RT in the league allowing sacks and pressures. Okung through 9 games of the season was 2nd in pressures allowed. Siemian certainly had challenges but the offense lacked in more areas than just him.
        That is a ton of excuses for why he cant get the ball into our receivers hands. We weren't the only team with injuries or weak spots. Which furthers my point of improving the position and moving on. Sounds like he needs a lot of help and everything to go right to be average.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
          Banned User
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
          That is a ton of excuses for why he cant get the ball into our receivers hands. We weren't the only team with injuries or weak spots. Which furthers my point of improving the position and moving on. Sounds like he needs a lot of help and everything to go right to be average.
          He got the ball in their hands 289 times for receptions. Sure he missed some throws and in some situations didn't make decisions fast enough - that's to be expected with a young QB.

I don't thing everything has to be right however, the offense as a unit didn't play well. You need at least some consistency at TE.

Comment

• flosstein
            Ring of Famer
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
            Can you explain to me why?
            Because he's just not even close to good. Even with amazingly throwing more ints than Manning in 2015, they expectations were for him to turn the corner and start showing progress. Instead he took 5 steps back. I just don't see it from him. He's just another terrible QB that a bad team drafted too high and is going to keep that bad team wallowing in the muck, until his rookie deal is up and they draft another QB.
            #swapping

Comment

• Southern Bronco
              Special Teams
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              It's weird that second and first year players haven't already been to the Super Bowl, obviously they never will and they'll never get any better...

Here's the thing about young QBs, none of them have done anything or are compared to the top QBs until they do and they are. Cutler and Romo have both reached the absolute peak of how well they'll play, both are on the downside of their career, so rather than then going in with QBs who have "at one time been considered in the same zip code" as players that once won, maybe it's time to try and develop young QBs to get into that zip code and better.
              Don't disagree with what you wrote. Just pointing out that doubling down on a developmental starting QB (not to mention two) essentially means waiving the proverbial white flag on 2017 (and very likely 2018 to boot). Extended, recent history demonstrates that (as shown above). So does Elway look at the roster 12 months after the confetti rained down and say- "You know what- we're out in '17 and '18- but man- are we going to be awesome in '19."? Maybe he does. No idea.

Personally, I am operating under the assumption that he wants to squeeze one more championship run out of what he has built. I also do not assume that Elway will want to remain GM of the Denver Broncos indefinitely (though I of course hope he does). Maybe someday soon he jumps out of bed and decides he wants a different challenge (e.g. build a championship team in L.A., run for political office, etc.). That would seem to add a little extra attraction to the "go for broke in '17" approach too.

Maybe Manning/Osweiler could be quasi-replicated with Romo/Siemian (or Lynch) or Cutler/Siemian (or Lynch). The whole veteran QB, deep bullpen with dominant D aporoach of '15...
              Last edited by Southern Bronco; 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Taos_Broncomaniac
                Football Immortal
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                I think Siemian has exceeded expectations for a 7th-round QB. If he were the 1st-round pick, he would be in a good position right now, especially considering he played better than Carson Wentz, for example. But nothing will change the fact that he is a 7th-round pick and he will have to fight harder to make a name for himself.

There will still be a preference for Paxton Lynch to be the guy because he is the 1st-round pick. If Paxton Lynch were the 7th-round pick, he would be on the roster bubble. At this point, I think he is just a big guy with a big arm and mobility. Bad mechanics, bad ball placement, struggled to learn the offense.

My feeling is that Paxton Lynch will never put in the work to outperform Siemian mentally. I expect Siemian to keep grinding more than Lynch and always have a better understanding of the offense around him. I don't see Paxton Lynch being the starter unless the competition is sabotaged and Lynch is forced into job, which would likely create issues in the locker room.

So, my guess is that we're depending on Siemian's development to see if can be one of the fairy tales of the NFL like other late-round or undrafted QBs. However, I can see Lynch getting a shot during the season because Siemian has shown he struggles to stay healthy.
                I dunno I was amazed at how much of a beating Siemian took and still got up. The only guy that gets hit harder is Sanders!

This speaks to my point that we truly cannot judge either of our young QB's until we can give them a reasonable amount of time in the pocket. My disgust with the O-line is well documented over the course of the last several years, none worse than 2016. The Pass Rush Welcoming Committee as I like to call them would get Romo killed and cause Cutler to set an NFL record for most int's in a single game and for the season.

The SB exodus and payday took it's pound of flesh. We are lucky to have won as many games as we did last year mostly thanks to our D. This is a year with some cap space. Make it rain Johnny E.$$$$$$$$$
                [sigpic

Comment

• Southern Bronco
                  Special Teams
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                  I dunno I was amazed at how much of a beating Siemian took and still got up. The only guy that gets hit harder is Sanders!

This speaks to my point that we truly cannot judge either of our young QB's until we can give them a reasonable amount of time in the pocket. My disgust with the O-line is well documented over the course of the last several years, none worse than 2016. The Pass Rush Welcoming Committee as I like to call them would get Romo killed and cause Cutler to set an NFL record for most int's in a single game and for the season.

The SB exodus and payday took it's pound of flesh. We are lucky to have won as many games as we did last year mostly thanks to our D. This is a year with some cap space. Make it rain Johnny E.$$$$$$$$$
                  The "Pass Rush Welcoming Committee" is fantastic! Exactly how I felt at times- both with the Broncos and my Vanderbilt Commodores. Lol. Well played maniac!

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2015

The folks at the team store are very outgoing and positive - he would not fit in.
                    not if they sell cigarettes.

Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Southern Bronco
                      Special Teams
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                      Romo is an easier sell than Cutler for Elway. Romo has the injury history, but Jay's history here wasn't great, especially with how he left. Andwhat he's become makes it an even tougher sell to the fans.
                      Elway has the equity/good will with the fans to bring Cutler back to Denver on a "prodigal son" type basis IMHO. No idea if Elway would want to spend it on such an undertaking though. Admittedly, seems unlikely once I really think about it.

Also- absent a trade- it "takes two to tango". Very possible IMHO Cutler would want no part of going back to Denver. Unhappy times for all involved unfortunately...

Comment

• FlowdaBroncoFan
                        Starter
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                        Because he's just not even close to good. Even with amazingly throwing more ints than Manning in 2015, they expectations were for him to turn the corner and start showing progress. Instead he took 5 steps back. I just don't see it from him. He's just another terrible QB that a bad team drafted too high and is going to keep that bad team wallowing in the muck, until his rookie deal is up and they draft another QB.
                        Did you watch Jags games and make these assessments, or are you just going off his numbers? The guy arguably had a worse OL than us. He had horrible coaching. A decent amount of his INTs were horrible bad luck... like a ball bouncing off his team mates foot (as he was just getting rid of the ball) and popping right into the defenders hands. That happened twice to him last year. Now I'm not saying he is the second coming of Manning, but he has the tools and the brain to be a great QB. I truly believe McCoy would help him greatly.
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                          not if they sell cigarettes.

Hilarious!

Comment

• BroncoFanDK
                            All-Pro
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                            Did you watch Jags games and make these assessments, or are you just going off his numbers? The guy arguably had a worse OL than us. He had horrible coaching. A decent amount of his INTs were horrible bad luck... like a ball bouncing off his team mates foot (as he was just getting rid of the ball) and popping right into the defenders hands. That happened twice to him last year. Now I'm not saying he is the second coming of Manning, but he has the tools and the brain to be a great QB. I truly believe McCoy would help him greatly.
                            Cutler excuses as usual - it is the O-Line, the recievers, the coaches, the defense.... whatever.

If we take recent Bronco history the O-line basically could not block for Osweiler who was taken to the ground time after time, yet the same players could block for Manning. When our recievers played with Tebow they could not run routes, yet with Manning they were some of the best. The O-line with Orton could not block for the run game (around 26th) yet when Tebow came in they were the #1. We can take the same with the defense again back to 2011 - they played very poorly for Orton, yet played some strong games for Tebow.

The QB has the task of lifting the players around him. It is not about stats and pretty passes and a stronger arm than Elway. It is about leading your team to win streaks that are long enough that you can make it through the playoffs. Cuddles stinks when it matters in big games and in the red zone.

Comment

• BroncoFanDK
                              All-Pro
                              • Nov 2004

Hilarious!
                              What is?

The stat line or the cigarette?

Comment

• FlowdaBroncoFan
                                Starter
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                                Cutler excuses as usual - it is the O-Line, the recievers, the coaches, the defense.... whatever.

If we take recent Bronco history the O-line basically could not block for Osweiler who was taken to the ground time after time, yet the same players could block for Manning. When our recievers played with Tebow they could not run routes, yet with Manning they were some of the best. The O-line with Orton could not block for the run game (around 26th) yet when Tebow came in they were the #1. We can take the same with the defense again back to 2011 - they played very poorly for Orton, yet played some strong games for Tebow.

The QB has the task of lifting the players around him. It is not about stats and pretty passes and a stronger arm than Elway. It is about leading your team to win streaks that are long enough that you can make it through the playoffs. Cuddles stinks when it matters in big games and in the red zone.
                                Wasn't even talking about Cutler. Please k n ow what you are talking about before you come down on people.
                                Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Working...
                                X