Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    John Elway, and most GMs in the NFL, seem to ascribe to the philosophy that "The Future is Now". Especially with our Defense. We got a pretty good look at Paxton Lynch with his two starts, last season.

Will he get better? What's his "ceiling"? How long will we wait? These are some of the questions that I would be asking if I were Elway.

So, I tend to agree with you. If Elway isn't "feeling it" for Lynch, and we do ultimately get Romo, then it's time to move on and get what we can for the guy.
    I disagree that two starts equals a good look at Lynch. If Elway's "win now" mentality means he is impatient with Lynch, then it was absolutely foolish to draft him in the 1st round. Everyone knew he was a long term project. Even if we get Romo I think we should hang on to both our young QBs. We control Siemian for two more years and Lynch for at least three. Unless Elway gets an offer he can't refuse, there's no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I disagree that two starts equals a good look at Lynch. If Elway's "win now" mentality means he is impatient with Lynch, then it was absolutely foolish to draft him in the 1st round. Everyone knew he was a long term project. Even if we get Romo I think we should hang on to both our young QBs. We control Siemian for two more years and Lynch for at least three. Unless Elway gets an offer he can't refuse, there's no rush.
    Every QB taken in the Draft, from a 1st Pick bust, IMO, like Sam Bradford, to a 7th Round QB like Trevor Siemian, is a complete crapshoot. Then you have QBs like Russell Wilson (3rd Round), Kirk Cousins (4th Round), and how about Tom Brady (6th Round). Even the best prospect in the last 15 years, Andrew Luck, has had problems. I'm guessing John Elway has a pretty good feel for what Paxton Lynch can or can't do in the NFL. But, he had to Draft him and get him in here to find out. Beyond the 2 1/2 games, Elway saw the guy everyday in practice and knows Lynch's ability to pick up an NFL Playbook. We are about to find out if the Franchise has a real interest in Romo, or if we stay pat with the young guys.

As Vance Joseph pointed out, this team won 9 games with the 2 young kids, and very well could have won two more.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Every QB taken in the Draft, from a 1st Pick bust, IMO, like Sam Bradford, to a 7th Round QB like Trevor Siemian, is a complete crapshoot. Then you have QBs like Russell Wilson (3rd Round), Kirk Cousins (4th Round), and how about Tom Brady (6th Round). Even the best prospect in the last 15 years, Andrew Luck, has had problems. I'm guessing John Elway has a pretty good feel for what Paxton Lynch can or can't do in the NFL. But, he had to Draft him and get him in here to find out. Beyond the 2 1/2 games, Elway saw the guy everyday in practice and knows Lynch's ability to pick up an NFL Playbook. We are about to find out if the Franchise has a real interest in Romo, or if we stay pat with the young guys.

As Vance Joseph pointed out, this team won 9 games with the 2 young kids, and very well could have won two more.

Should be interesting to see what happens.
    to be fair thought, Vance Joseph did say he wasn't sure that Lynch would be ready to start this year. To me that sounds like either Siemian or a vet is the starter and that Lynch sits another year
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Apparently SF and AZ too...all just speculation at this point.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Apparently SF and AZ too...all just speculation at this point.
    Mmm speculation and click bait.

Slow news day?

"Hey did you hear even a few Arena teams are interested in Trevor?"

Boom. Talking points for all radio and TV shows the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosIsLife View Post
    Mmm speculation and click bait.

Slow news day?

"Hey did you hear even a few Arena teams are interested in Trevor?"

Boom. Talking points for all radio and TV shows the next two days.
    The level of desperation for Offensive Tackles in the NFL is high (see the interest in Okung). It is much higher for Starting QBs. Trevor Siemian is an NFL Starting QB who actually showed something last season, as opposed to Brent Oswheeler (or whatever his name is). And yet Houston cashed out for what is a $19 million dollar cap hit for a guy who proved he could get benched in Denver, and then proved he could get benched in Houston. That guy is a 2nd Round "BUST".

I fully expect many teams from Buffalo to SF to Arizona to be interested in Siemian. I don't see it as "click bait", at all.

I don't know if you can consider the "Legal Tampering" time in NFL FA as a "Slow news day." Rumors are swirling for a reason...
    New England Patriots GM

I would rather keep Siemian than trade for a mid round pick. In fact I would put Siemian over any QB coming out in the draft. You can compensatory picks in the 3rd round. So why trade Siemian for what would amount to nothing better than a compensatory pick? Siemian has showed he can play and he is tough enough to handle the pressure of the NFL. Just because he was drafted in the 7th don't mean that we should let him walk for less than a low first or high second. Personally I thing we would be better off just fixing the o-line and then we can get a better feel for what Siemian can or can not do.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolassiter View Post
    I would rather keep Siemian than trade for a mid round pick. In fact I would put Siemian over any QB coming out in the draft. You can compensatory picks in the 3rd round. So why trade Siemian for what would amount to nothing better than a compensatory pick? Siemian has showed he can play and he is tough enough to handle the pressure of the NFL. Just because he was drafted in the 7th don't mean that we should let him walk for less than a low first or high second. Personally I thing we would be better off just fixing the o-line and then we can get a better feel for what Siemian can or can not do.
    I still don't understand why Lynch over Siemian in this scenario. If Lynch gets us a mid 1st for example (and I would love an early 2nd and 3rd in this draft), what am I missing? Romo, TS, vet/draft a QB in mid rounds would be my preferred depth chart.

I don't even look at it as Elway making a mistake last year, he simply did not know what he had in Trevor. Give Trevor an open competition with Romo and I think he could win actually. Teammates support him, he knows the locker room and his guys. But whatever, I hope Elway does not go away from what brought us a championship...DEFENSE. And a defenses best friend is a strong run game, not a QB who really has blown his opportunities.

I will be very surprised if Trevor Siemian is traded. It could happen, but if it does, I'll be surprised.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I will be very surprised if Trevor Siemian is traded. It could happen, but if it does, I'll be surprised.
    I will be shocked if we don't have a few surprises in store for this team. I don't know about Siemian. I know that there is a general policy that if a player loses their starting job, they are usually gone. I don't know how that would affect Siemian since he is a QB. But between Lynch and Siemian, I'd think Siemian would be who other teams want, who is closest to being an NFL Starter. But, Lynch certainly has value, also. A lot depends on Romo.

Still trying to understand some of the logic of trading either young QB.

If Romo is brought in the Bronco coaches and FO are stating a lack of faith in either young QB. Neither are considered anything but average starters at best. Perhaps even worse if you read through the criticisms around here. So much so that the Broncos are potentially preferring going all-in on a 37 yr old QB with some significant health risks.

Yet they will somehow bring back great draft picks for a team looking for a franchise QB?

Even if they sign Romo, Broncos need to keep both young QBs. More then likely they get playing time this season. How much is the roll of the dice the Broncos are playing .

In the event Denver signs him, I would like to see the Las Vegas, Nevada odds of Romo playing all sixteen games. As far as this topic is concerned, what Elway thinks is more relevant.

At the moment, it seems that Trevor Siemian would be the best backup to Tony Romo if the latter couldn't play. Siemian himself is coming off an injury which required surgery. That seems to warrant a third QB, and who better than Paxton Lynch?

People talk about getting a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round pick in exchange for Trevor. This year Trevor is scheduled to make less than last year's 3rd and 4th rounders (Simmons and Booker) and only slightly more than last year's 5th and 6th rounders (McGovern and Janovich)

We will see what happens with all this, but it seems to me that Trevor is more valuable to the Broncos than the potential of a draft pick, whichever one it could be.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    In the event Denver signs him, I would like to see the Las Vegas, Nevada odds of Romo playing all sixteen games. As far as this topic is concerned, what Elway thinks is more relevant.

At the moment, it seems that Trevor Siemian would be the best backup to Tony Romo if the latter couldn't play. Siemian himself is coming off an injury which required surgery. That seems to warrant a third QB, and who better than Paxton Lynch?

People talk about getting a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round pick in exchange for Trevor. This year Trevor is scheduled to make less than last year's 3rd and 4th rounders (Simmons and Booker) and only slightly more than last year's 5th and 6th rounders (McGovern and Janovich)

We will see what happens with all this, but it seems to me that Trevor is more valuable to the Broncos than the potential of a draft pick, whichever one it could be.
    Essentially, if a team was willing to offer 1st round value, then we are giving up that 1st to have a 3rd string QB. Would not that 1st offer more value to both Romo and TS over the next couple years. That is how I look at it anyways, what it cost us to keep Lynch and develop him for 2 more years. Plus a roster spot.

Admittedly this is a win now mentality, but also some faith that TS can be a quality starter in the NFL and has so far proven that to be a viable opinion. Lynch is all potential promise and if he is not the guy after a year feel he may be Brock 2.0 sits 4 years then moves on for a comp pick.

Taylor staying with the Bills, so in a way the QB trade market just increased. Plenty of teams had their eye out for Taylor.