Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I don't know if we can say that about the Broncos.As weird as it is, I have the feeling Elway does a better job in the late rounds than picking in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Virgil Green, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Matt Paradis, Trevor Siemian, Andy Janovich, Will Parks and Riley Dixon were all drafted in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. 7 starters and Parks has been a good contributor and may develop into a starter.

I would not be against the Broncos drafting Chad Kelly with a late-round pick. I just think there may not be much interest in him at this point because he won't be able to throw in training camp and there are those other issues with him.

I can see Kelly going undrafted, remain unsigned while he recovers from wrist surgery and wait for the best opportunity depending on the roster changes and injuries during camp and preseason.
    Also, Corey Nelson was #242/7th in 2014; Lorenzo Doss #164/5th & Taurean Nixon #251/7th in 2015; Connor McGovern #144/5th in 2016.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I highly doubt he goes undrafted. some team will take a chance on him if he is still there late in the draft. He has too much talent to be an UDFA, imo
    I've read that players would greatly prefer to be a UDFA rather than drafted in round 6 or 7, because they get to choose where they go and can get bigger signing bonuses.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I've read that players would greatly prefer to be a UDFA rather than drafted in round 6 or 7, because they get to choose where they go and can get bigger signing bonuses.
    That isn't true. In last years draft...Kalan Reed...pick #253.... signed a $2.3M deal with a $58K signing bonus. $10K is a pretty big bonus for an UDFA. Last year, Leonard Wester got the biggest signing bonus among all NFL undrafted free agents: $20,000

I have also heard UDFA, such as Charles Davis, say they would rather be drafted because they know a team wanted them.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

That isn't true. In last years draft...Kalan Reed...pick #253.... signed a $2.3M deal with a $58K signing bonus. $10K is a pretty big bonus for an UDFA. Last year, Leonard Wester got the biggest signing bonus among all NFL undrafted free agents: $20,000

I have also heard UDFA, such as Charles Davis, say they would rather be drafted because they know a team wanted them.
    You're correct, after looking into it further team's have X amount to spend on UDFA bonuses which allows smaller (cheaper) teams to compete. However the difference is that teams can guarantee more of a contract to UDFAs, which means that even though the signing bonus is lower, they can end up with bigger guarantees.

Most UDFAs get little to no bonus and no guarantees, but every year there are higher priority ones who get both signing bonuses and guarantees. So allow me to clarify, if you're a low level prospect just looking for a chance, you probably want to be drafted. But if you're a guy who's going to be in demand following the draft (and players usually know by round 7 when teams without draft picks left start calling in case they go undrafted) you're probably better off going undrafted. In this case, Kelly is probably going to be a guy who's in decent demand if he makes it through the draft without being picked.

They still need to add at least one QB anyway. They can't go into TC with just 2......
    There are other places to pickup a QB other than the draft.

Siemian is a free agent in 2 years, nobody knows what he'll develop into, or whether he'll be worth a Mike Glennon type of deal at that point in time. Paxton Lynch is a great unknown at this point, no one knows what he'll develop into. There's a chance both develop and the Broncos trade one. There's a chance neither develop more than they are. And there's a chance that only one develops. Either way standing still at QB makes no sense, as has been proven the last 2 years, you'll probably need at least 2 QBs during the season, and during camp you'll need at least 3.

Using a late pick on a QB isn't a threat to either QB, and it's not neglecting the team (especially since they're likely to go after those other 2 areas earlier in the draft), it's being smart and continuing to build the team for the future.

There are positions other than QB that could use that draft pick. Just because we don't draft a QB every year doesn't mean we are standing still. We have 2 young guys to develope.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    There are other places to pickup a QB other than the draft.
    That is true but how many of those FA QBs have a viable chance and do they have the $ to sign one of them? They can draft a QB for $600K.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Its true they would rather go undrafted, its because they can choose from a bunch of teams who they want to sign for. So they look at that teams roster and make a decision based on the best chance to make the final 53

There are positions other than QB that could use that draft pick. Just because we don't draft a QB every year doesn't mean we are standing still. We have 2 young guys to develope.
    Need at least three QBs for TC, four if Trevor and Paxton split the reps with first team. Denver has three picks in the seventh round. They might use one on a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Need at least three QBs for TC, four if Trevor and Paxton split the reps with first team. Denver has three picks in the seventh round. They might use one on a QB.
    I believe Mark Sanchez and Siemian split 1st-team reps last year and there were only 3 QBs in camp. I like the idea of having only 3 QBs again to give them more reps and have more film to make a decision.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Yes, but as I already said, one of those QBs is a free agent in 2 years, and there are still question marks surrounding both QBs, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. So it makes sense to add a QB late and see what comes of it. Odds are it's just another QB that doesn't develop but every now and then you might find something, like Siemian. I'm not sure why you're so anti adding a QB who's likely to be no threat to Siemian this year, and if Siemian is the QB you believe he is, won't be a threat to him at all?

I believe Mark Sanchez and Siemian split 1st-team reps last year and there were only 3 QBs in camp. I like the idea of having only 3 QBs again to give them more reps and have more film to make a decision.
    I think you're right. I can't remember a fourth QB in TC last year. If Denver picks up another QB, they would probably have Paxton and Trevor trade back and forth equally between first and second team O while the new guy would run third team.

Probably the cheapest way to get a third QB would be 7th round pick or UDFA. That way Paxton and Trevor would be getting reps all the time and spend no time standing around watching the other. They would still get the same number of practice snaps with first team.

Let's make a practice schedule.

I think it depends on Siemian's health, I know he's full go now, but if they decide that they want to limit him at all, then adding a 4th QB to take some reps won't make that big of a difference. Especially since I would think the 4th QB will be with the 3rd and 4th team guys, splitting reps with the 3rd QB, not taking reps away from the top 2, plus last year they wanted Lynch to get as many reps as possible, so they didn't want another QB taking his snaps, I doubt they'll feel that way about whoever QB3 is this year. And last year as well they had 2 punters in camp, this year they'll probably only have 1, so that extra spot in the 90 can be used for a 4th QB.

Guys that are drafted in the final 2 rounds can become human tackling dummies for the players who are trying to make the team. I can see that a player with a smart agent could find a team where he might have a chance to at least make the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Its true they would rather go undrafted, its because they can choose from a bunch of teams who they want to sign for. So they look at that teams roster and make a decision based on the best chance to make the final 53
    Its about the money first. the difference between a drafted player and one that isnt drafted is big. You can choose which team you want to go to for being undrafted but that doesnt mean they will give you the same chance as someone who is drafted, you have to play better to make the team.