Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 296
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,112
    Is this a situation like last year when we're better off that Houston outbids us on a QB?

    "Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make." - John Elway

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon Missouri...
    Posts
    716
    I love and trust elway as much as the next guy, but going after romo... That will make me question how many hits to the head he took

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,498
    The problems with Houston:

    1. Denver has more cap space to offer a better deal.

    2. Brock Osweiler has a salary cap value of $19 million for 2017, with a $16 million salary. Will Romo take less money than the backup QB? If Romo has a bad game, will there be pressure to start Osweiler with all that money?

    3. Romo and Osweiler are represented by the same agency. This is a big deal. I think it's unlikely their agents would want to put them together on the same roster.

    4. Bill O'Brien is known as a hot-head, dirty-mouth head coach. And it does not look like he has a good relationship with the owner and GM. A playoff run probably saved his job last season. Is Romo willing to deal with that compared to working with Vance Joseph?

    For those reasons, I'd say Denver should be considered the favorite to sign Romo unless there are other teams involved and there is significant difference in the money.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Trevor, Lynch, take your pick. In an open competition Romo may win out this year, but in 2018? I doubt it, not at his age and injury history. If he does come here, I would wager he is not the starter in 2018 unless we just commit to it without competition.

    How many 38 year old QBs can hold off the competition?
    Depends on the competition. Its impossible to look ahead 2 years and answer a question like that. In football you have to think about the year ahead with an eye on the future which Elway is doing and will be doing by taking Romo this offseason.

    What if Romo wins it all in 2017 in Denver. Would you still wager that he wont be the starter in 2018?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    These seem to be the two favorites to land Romo. The question is, which destination is more attractive?

    In terms of offense, I have to give Houston the nod. I'll take Lamar Miller over C.J. Anderson and C.J. Fiedorowicz over any of our TEs. WR is a different story. I'll take DT and Sanders over Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins. O-line? Well, I don't really know how good Houston's is. I know it's better than ours, however. Elway has to improve it significantly or else signing Romo would just be a waste.

    The defenses seem fairly equal. Watt and Clowney are a monster 1-2 punch. I don't think Houston's secondary can match up to ours. Plus, Denver's D has a championship pedigree.

    Some non-football factors might include Romo's comfort in the state of Texas and whether or not Houston is on Jerry Jones' "do right" list. I doubt very much Jerry would want another Texas team to get a lot of publicity, not to mention potentially turn into a legit contender with a franchise QB.
    I wouldn't. O'Brien took a quarterback who was valued at 16-20 Million a year, and turned him into the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. I don't know where Bill O'Brien would be right now if he hadn't coached Tom Brady.

    The only reasons I can think of that he wouldn't sign in Denver would be this year's schedule, and not wanting to leave Texas (like you mentioned).

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I wouldn't. O'Brien took a quarterback who was valued at 16-20 Million a year, and turned him into the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. I don't know where Bill O'Brien would be right now if he hadn't coached Tom Brady.

    The only reasons I can think of that he wouldn't sign in Denver would be this year's schedule, and not wanting to leave Texas (like you mentioned).
    Why would anybody want to stay in Texas?

    Seems like most of them wind up here in New Mexico with a Texas flag flying in the yard.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    Depends on the competition. Its impossible to look ahead 2 years and answer a question like that. In football you have to think about the year ahead with an eye on the future which Elway is doing and will be doing by taking Romo this offseason.

    What if Romo wins it all in 2017 in Denver. Would you still wager that he wont be the starter in 2018?
    I would expect him to retire if the somehow drag him across the finish line with a SB win.

    Going to be interesting to see how the next couple days goes. If Elway can not land a couple top tier olineman why in the world would Romo not choose HOU.

    Already a dead heat IMO. Both teams have positives and negatives. A very important one for HOU is they have an offense in place. Broncos have some nice pieces but glaring holes too.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I would expect him to retire if the somehow drag him across the finish line with a SB win.

    Going to be interesting to see how the next couple days goes. If Elway can not land a couple top tier olineman why in the world would Romo not choose HOU.

    Already a dead heat IMO. Both teams have positives and negatives. A very important one for HOU is they have an offense in place. Broncos have some nice pieces but glaring holes too.
    With Whitworth going to the Rams I can see Elway dangling a 3rd or maybe a 2nd rounder to the Browns for Joe Thomas. That is if they can't get Okung back. But really, after last year i'm not sure we'd really want him back?

    If we were to pair Thomas with TJ Lang, Leary then our line begins to look pretty good.

    But i agree, so far we've done nada and that line is an issue for anyone who plays behind it.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    724
    Denver is a much better franchise as a whole, but they are also in the toughest division. Houston has a better line, offensive weapons, an equal if not better defense, a dome and warm weather, and the easiest route to the playoffs. I'd be shocked if he chose Denver over Houston.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    With Whitworth going to the Rams I can see Elway dangling a 3rd or maybe a 2nd rounder to the Browns for Joe Thomas. That is if they can't get Okung back. But really, after last year i'm not sure we'd really want him back?

    If we were to pair Thomas with TJ Lang, Leary then our line begins to look pretty good.

    But i agree, so far we've done nada and that line is an issue for anyone who plays behind it.
    I'm not overly concerned ... yet. Free agency is still not even official. I certainly believe that Elway has work to do. I'm trying to be patient to see what he can deliver over the next couple days.

    The entire conversation has been about the need to improve the oline. If the end result is a M. Watson level signing or relying on overdrafting for oline starters as the backup plan. Then I will start getting concerned.

    Taking a wait and see approach for now.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Denver is a much better franchise as a whole, but they are also in the toughest division. Houston has a better line, offensive weapons, an equal if not better defense, a dome and warm weather, and the easiest route to the playoffs. I'd be shocked if he chose Denver over Houston.
    But then if you're Houston and you take Romo then you're admitting that the $72m, $37 guaranteed and $12m signing bonus was a mistake just 1 season after doing it and the Osweiler experiment is over.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    But then if you're Houston and you take Romo then you're admitting that the $72m, $37 guaranteed and $12m signing bonus was a mistake just 1 season after doing it and the Osweiler experiment is over.
    What if the owner is impatient and sees his "win now" window is closing? If they truly believe the team is ready to compete and Romo is somehow the final piece then why not take the hit to the pride and bench Osweiler? Likely to see significant playing time anyways.

    Romo on either team is a high risk gamble. IMO it is not if Romo misses games it is how many and in which part of the season?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    What if the owner is impatient and sees his "win now" window is closing? If they truly believe the team is ready to compete and Romo is somehow the final piece then why not take the hit to the pride and bench Osweiler? Likely to see significant playing time anyways.

    Romo on either team is a high risk gamble. IMO it is not if Romo misses games it is how many and in which part of the season?
    That's a big gamble with potentially $72m at stake. Of course then they'd be investing a further 10-15m in Romo who may get injured the first week and the total investment in the QB position becomes a joke.

    IMO if they drop Osweiler at this point then heads are gonna roll.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,342
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Many thought Peyton Manning also was one hit away from IR and possibly retirement. There is risk involved, but Elway is looking at the potential reward and he will hit the FA button again. I guess he does not want to tell the veteran players to be patient while one of the young QBs develop. Elway wants to win now.
    Did PM have any injury history before his neck? As I recall the neck procedures and PM's ability to come back from them was the only thing in question. Future HoFer....Super Bowl Winning Qb...clutch performer....the upside on PM was well worth the risk.

    If I recall correctly Romo has a losing record in the playoffs. Romo has serious questions about his ability to perform in the clutch. To say Romo has injury concerns is like saying Africa has heat concerns while going through the Sahara desert.

    PM and his quick release struggled behind out offensive line.

    IMO our first priority needs to be building the OL if we are even considering Romo.

    Also without a good running game Romo never has really shown much in the NFL imo besides what just about any qb can do.

    I personally see Romo behind this historically bad ol and running game as a seriously bad investment.

    If the risk of injury to Romo was not so great I would change my opinion but taking a risk on all three (OL improving, running game improving, Romo not getting injured again) is a seriously bad investment imo

    We will also sidetrack the development of our young QBs. I think we all agree it was the right thing to do to Oz when PM was playing well. Sidetrack Siemian and Lynch for .... Romo?!? I do not think so. I would rather start another rookie if we think we that bad with Siemian and Lynch myself.
    "You need the highs and the lows," he says. "Because if it gets this way" -- he draws a flat line in the air -- "it kind of feels like you're not really doing anything." - John Elway

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    That's a big gamble with potentially $72m at stake. Of course then they'd be investing a further 10-15m in Romo who may get injured the first week and the total investment in the QB position becomes a joke.

    IMO if they drop Osweiler at this point then heads are gonna roll.
    Isn't this the huge risk the Broncos are taking too. Over half this board is anxiously awaiting the announcement of Romo being a Bronco.

    I do not have a clue what HOU would be willing to do. But I do see the reasoning behind the move if they decided to make it. Even with a huge investment and potential ridicule because of the QB situation. The argument can be made that adding Romo is the final piece to get them over the top. For the Broncos there is still a lot of work to be done to improve the offense even if Romo is signed. HOU is more balanced as a team and arguably in better position to compete for a SB then the Broncos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •