Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Well, if Michael improves again like he did last offseason, maybe he can be good enough to take over the right tackle spot. Not great, but good enough.
    Could be. I'm worried that they may think that they the talent already in-house at both LT/RT.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Okung played his cards right.....signing with The Chargers for four years. Whether or not he will last that long is the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Could be. I'm worried that they may think that they the talent already in-house at both LT/RT.
    They may think they have RT covered, but I'd be very skeptical if they think they have LT covered. They may even think they have RT and Swing Tackle covered. I don't see a starting Left Tackle on the roster yet.

They may hang on to Stephenson until after free agency and the draft. I'm not at all comfortable with a scenario in which Donald Stephenson goes to TC and comes out the other side with a roster spot at $5 million.

But, I don't know him and I haven't broken down every one of his snaps as I'm sure Coach Davidson has. Sure, he has exhibited flawed technique that high school O-Linemen have corrected. Technique can be fixed, but I just don't know about him.

Michael Schofield played OK at RG last year. Maybe they want to put him back at RT. We'll see. I haven't given up on him ... yet.

Ty Sambrailo tore his labrum after game three in 2015 and had to have surgery. Just as he was coming back from that, he injured his elbow last Spring. He wasn't able to work upper body for over a year.

One would hope he and Schofield have done some serious working out during the offseason. We'll just need to wait and see what they look like in OTAs and mini-camps, but especially in TC when the pads and hats go on and the real hitting begins.

At this point I would guess that Elway will sign some kind of Left Tackle kind of guy. I would also expect him to draft one at least by the 4th round, hopefully sooner. If he accomplishes that, Donald Stephenson could be released which would leave the Broncos with four Tackle prospects.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

We do also have Justin Murray ... OT from Cincinnati was on the PS most of the season. Hey, Leary was a PS player his 1st season and now a high priced OL.

as of now Elway hasn't had much luck drafting OL paradis is probably best 1 I can remember maybe franklin hopefully this year we get a real good one bc we really need one or 2

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    They may think they have RT covered, but I'd be very skeptical if they think they have LT covered. They may even think they have RT and Swing Tackle covered. I don't see a starting Left Tackle on the roster yet.

They may hang on to Stephenson until after free agency and the draft. I'm not at all comfortable with a scenario in which Donald Stephenson goes to TC and comes out the other side with a roster spot at $5 million.

But, I don't know him and I haven't broken down every one of his snaps as I'm sure Coach Davidson has. Sure, he has exhibited flawed technique that high school O-Linemen have corrected. Technique can be fixed, but I just don't know about him.

Michael Schofield played OK at RG last year. Maybe they want to put him back at RT. We'll see. I haven't given up on him ... yet.

Ty Sambrailo tore his labrum after game three in 2015 and had to have surgery. Just as he was coming back from that, he injured his elbow last Spring. He wasn't able to work upper body for over a year.

One would hope he and Schofield have done some serious working out during the offseason. We'll just need to wait and see what they look like in OTAs and mini-camps, but especially in TC when the pads and hats go on and the real hitting begins.

At this point I would guess that Elway will sign some kind of Left Tackle kind of guy. I would also expect him to draft one at least by the 4th round, hopefully sooner. If he accomplishes that, Donald Stephenson could be released which would leave the Broncos with four Tackle prospects.
    Doesn't Stephenson have a deadline of March 13 or his contract will be guaranteed for the year? Time to go.

As far as Schofield, he was OK at RG but putting him back at RT, you're asking for trouble. We don't need a human revolving door at RT.

Sambrailo. No strength. Wrong scheme. Can't stay healthy. He gets hurt by carrying the groceries.

I'd rather pick up Watson as the RT, draft a Tackle to groom (Robinson).

The LT is not on the roster yet but once the FA smoke clears, we should get a 2nd tier LT via trade or waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by montee2ball View Post
    Doesn't Stephenson have a deadline of March 13 or his contract will be guaranteed for the year? Time to go.

As far as Schofield, he was OK at RG but putting him back at RT, you're asking for trouble. We don't need a human revolving door at RT.

Sambrailo. No strength. Wrong scheme. Can't stay healthy. He gets hurt by carrying the groceries.

The LT is not on the roster yet but once the FA smoke clears, we should get a 2nd tier LT via trade or waivers.
    Haha I laughed at a the Sambrailo bit. Hopefully his strength has improved now. Who knows, maybe even rolling with what we have will be enough with improved training and coaching. I've also read that signing Leary will put Schofield (who was our 2nd best lineman) into LT which isn't his worst position (RT). Which means unfortunately our favorite RT is still probably our starting RT.

But yeah, unless we get improved play from the O and D line, we'll probably be in yet another transition year.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Haha I laughed at a the Sambrailo bit. Hopefully his strength has improved now. Who knows, maybe even rolling with what we have will be enough with improved training and coaching. I've also read that signing Leary will put Schofield (who was our 2nd best lineman) into LT which isn't his worst position (RT). Which means unfortunately our favorite RT is still probably our starting RT.

But yeah, unless we get improved play from the O and D line, we'll probably be in yet another transition year.
    I was pulling hard for Sambrailo last year but have cooled considerably with regards to his durability. LT is huge for us in this FA period, C'mon John, you can do this.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Quote Originally Posted by bronco30 View Post
    as of now Elway hasn't had much luck drafting OL paradis is probably best 1 I can remember maybe franklin hopefully this year we get a real good one bc we really need one or 2
    The Broncos haven't had any success drafting any linemen...D or O in over 10 years. Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson may be the best of the bunch in that time span.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    The Broncos haven't had any success drafting any linemen...D or O in over 10 years. Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson may be the best of the bunch in that time span.
    Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson... the pro bowlers? And Matt Paradis, Ryan Clady, Sylvester Williams (a full time starter on one of the greatest defenses of all time), Orlando Franklin was pretty good, JD Walton and Zane Beadles were both good for a period, Cory Lichtensteiger was very good, just retired from the Redskins and Ryan Harris was pretty good too. All those players were drafted by Denver in the last 10 years. There were more hits than misses on the Oline in that time (unless you're counting the guys we drafted in the past 2 years, they still need time), and the Dline about evens out.
    Last edited by Houshmazode; 03-10-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by montee2ball View Post

Football coaches and players are human. They are not quantifiable components. Together they can get better, worse or stay the same. There is a new OC and O-Line coaches. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish with the players Elway & Co. provide.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson... the pro bowlers? And Matt Paradis, Ryan Clady, Sylvester Williams (a full time starter on one of the greatest defenses of all time), Orlando Franklin was pretty good, JD Walton and Zane Beadles were both good for a period, Cory Lichtensteiger was very good, just retired from the Redskins and Ryan Harris was pretty good too. All those players were drafted by Denver in the last 10 years. There were more hits than misses on the Oline in that time (unless you're counting the guys we drafted in the past 2 years, they still need time), and the Dline about evens out.

Paradis--ok so far and has lots of potential but coming off pretty serious surgeries
    Clady--Played well his first couple of years then lived off his early rep
    Franklin, Walton, Beadles, ---all not very good
    Lichtensteiger -- only a bronco for 1 year and never started
    Harris--pretty mediocre

Dline evens out????

here is the draft history:

Dline
    DOOM--who I forgot about
    Jarvis Moss
    Marcus Thomas
    Carlton Powell
    Jamie Kirlew
    Beal
    Wolfe
    Jackson
    Sly
    Q Smith
    Kilgo

11 picks and only 1 of those is still on the team and only 3 were any good

Oline
    Harris
    Clady
    Lichtensteiger
    Seth olsen
    Blake Schlueter
    Beadles
    Walton
    Phillip Blake
    Franklin
    Eric Olsen
    Vinston Painter
    Schofield
    Paradis
    Sambrailo
    Garcia

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

My only problem with this statement is the use of the word "any". I think "The broncos haven't had 'much' success" in that regard, would have been fair. But, saying they haven't had "any" success is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    My only problem with this statement is the use of the word "any". I think "The broncos haven't had 'much' success" in that regard, would have been fair. But, saying they haven't had "any" success is not true.
    agreed

Paradis--ok so far and has lots of potential but coming off pretty serious surgeries
    Clady--Played well his first couple of years then lived off his early rep
    Franklin, Walton, Beadles, ---all not very good
    Lichtensteiger -- only a bronco for 1 year and never started
    Harris--pretty mediocre

Dline evens out????

here is the draft history:

Dline
    DOOM--who I forgot about
    Jarvis Moss
    Marcus Thomas
    Carlton Powell
    Jamie Kirlew
    Beal
    Wolfe
    Jackson
    Sly
    Q Smith
    Kilgo
    Gotsis

11 picks and only 1 of those is still on the team and only 3 were any good

Oline
    Harris
    Clady
    Lichtensteiger
    Seth olsen
    Blake Schlueter
    Beadles
    Walton
    Phillip Blake
    Franklin
    Eric Olsen
    Vinston Painter
    Schofield
    Paradis
    Sambrailo
    Garcia
    Dline
    1st Round:
    Robert Ayers (You forgot to mention him. Didn't pan out much as a first rounder but is still productive, played in Super Bowl 48 and left because he got paid more than what he was worth ie. Malik)
    Jarvis Moss (Obvious bust and the worst on this list. One of Shanahan's last drafts, in a messed up draft where we only had 4 picks.)
    Sylvester Williams (Multiple year starter on a top 5 defense, Super Bowl starter, enough said).
    2nd Round:
    Derek Wolfe (Starter on a consistently good defense, super bowl champion. Probably should be a pro bowler and had an all-pro caliber season in 2015. He's also had some major injuries.)
    Adam Gotsis (Rookie year and coming off major surgery). Still early.
    Tim Crowder (Another bust from the bad '08 class)
    3rd Round:
    4th Round:
    Marcus Thomas (Played out his rookie contract and another year for 5 total in Denver. N\Never stood out. Had 149 tackles, 2 picks and a forced fumble. Nothing special, but not terrible production from a guy on his rookie contract who played with 4 DCs i
    5th Round:
    Malik Jackson (Starter on the SB 50 team, great defender, played his whole rookie contract and had a great season in 2015 that helped us win a superbowl.) You can't really blame Elway for not paying him like Jacksonville did.
    Quanterrus Smith (Major ACL injury in training camp after he was drafted.)
    6th Round:
    Darius Kilgo (2nd year w/logjam in front of him. Not much opportunity and DT/NTs always take 3 or 4 years to develop in the NFL).
    7th Round:
    Jeremy Beal (Did you really expect him to become a 10 year starter with the 247th overall pick?)
    Jammie Kirlew (See Jeremy Beal, only picked a few spots higher).

All the changes in our coaching staff haven't helped, do you really expect a new staff to keep all the old players around even if they don't fit their schemes? We've had 6 DCs in the past 10 seasons, 4 head coaches and 4 different OCs.

Ryan Clady was a 3x pro bowler, 2x all pro and started every game his first few seasons and played pretty damn good until he started missing time from his injuries.

Harris was very reliable and always showed up when we needed him. Also a super bowl champion, and was good enough to have a long career as a starter in the nfl.

Franklin, Walton and Beadles all not very good? Franklin and Beadles were starters on a super bowl team, and starters on multiple teams. Both were pretty good. Both had some injuries too.

Walton was a pretty good player in Denver for a few seasons until he dislocated his ankle against the Raiders. His career kinda went downhill after that severe injury. He started 52 of 56 games.

Kory Lichtensteiger was a Shanahan zone guy, and didn't play in Denver his rookie season because Casey Wiegmann went to the pro bowl that year. He was cut after that season when Mike was fired and McDumbass took over. He ended up going to Washington and starting 75 games there, and he was pretty solid.

If you want to include Quanterrus Smith you should probably include Shane Ray, they were both drafted as DEs. Quanterrus was drafted purely rush the passer and tore his ACL.

Your assessments are lazy. I challenge you to find and show me another team that has done better over the past 10 seasons with what they were given.
    Last edited by Houshmazode; 03-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.