Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do we still go BPA

In this years draft? We obviously have needs at RT and LT do we go BPA? Say at the end of round two and we haven't drafted OL this board will go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    In this years draft? We obviously have needs at RT and LT do we go BPA? Say at the end of round two and we haven't drafted OL this board will go nuts.
    Humble opinion is we are 2 off-seasons from SB aspirations, so yes go BPA and hope we hit big.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I think the "BPA" magically changes on the draft board depending on team needs. The front office starts re-watching tape of the OTs and those players begin to look better and better.

My guess right now is Bolles in round 1.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Jabrill Peppers would be nice

Christian McCaffrey. Lets just pass to our RBs out of the backfield all year since our OL is going to suck. No reason to take a mediocre T at 20 when there are better players on the board......wait a second....

In my view BPA is not usually just one player, usually more like 2-3 players. Sometimes it is clear to a team who the BPA is, but not usually. If there is 2-3 that would be considered the BPA then I take the one that does fit need the most.
    I see the 1st round pick - and often the 2nd rounder; as a BPA type pick and then later in the draft (3rd round and beyond) are used for addressing needs.

So, yes I use the 1st round on the BPA, I use later rounds to address need.

On another note... I don't think Bolles is a player that offers anything more than we already have on the team. He is a little under 300lbs and is already 25 and only one season at Utah. At 25 years old he is probably not going to get much bigger, if at all. Strength could be an issue (I didn't see a bench press on him) "devoid of drive power in his lowers, power can toss him off balance." Maybe he can develop more; but how much time does he have?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    In my view BPA is not usually just one player, usually more like 2-3 players. Sometimes it is clear to a team who the BPA is, but not usually. If there is 2-3 that would be considered the BPA then I take the one that does fit need the most.
    I see the 1st round pick - and often the 2nd rounder; as a BPA type pick and then later in the draft (3rd round and beyond) are used for addressing needs.

So, yes I use the 1st round on the BPA, I use later rounds to address need.

On another note... I don't think Bolles is a player that offers anything more than we already have on the team. He is a little under 300lbs and is already 25 and only one season at Utah. At 25 years old he is probably not going to get much bigger, if at all. Strength could be an issue (I didn't see a bench press on him) "devoid of drive power in his lowers, power can toss him off balance." Maybe he can develop more; but how much time does he have?
    Those are good points from scouting reports on Garrett Bolles. If he is being considered at Left Tackle, it's important to keep in mind what that position needs. The main job of a Left Tackle is pass protection.

Even if Denver uses more angle blocking, the Left Tackle isn't usually called on to do a ton of down blocking. Maybe on a Fold Combo with the Guard, release to the second level or an outside pull would be more common than a steady diet of down blocking.

Reach against an odd front or down against a split front would probably the most common run blocks to the TE hole or wider on the left. Angle blocked run plays usually go to the right, where the down blockers are, behind the pulling LG.

NFL Draft Scout's report on Bolles sounds like a Left Tackle prospect to me. If Denver picked him and started him there, he'd still be a rookie facing the best pass rushers, so realistic expectations would be in order. McCoy and Davidson know how to mitigate some of those situations with 21 and 12 personnel formations.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Looking at our current situation, I'll say this:

1. If we get Cam Robinson, he becomes the LT from day one.
    2. If we get Garrett Bolles, he becomes the LT from day one.
    3. If we get Ryan Ramczyk, he becomes the LT from day one.

This is very similar to the 2008 offseason when Matt Lepsis retired, leaving a void at LT. Ryan Clady was athletic, had great feet but was a raw OT with technique issues and got beat a lot in college. Mike Shanahan plugged him at LT from day one and it worked out just fine.

Any of the top-3 OTs from this class can be plugged at LT for the Broncos. Look at the others options we have. Sambrailo survived at LT as a rookie, but it was a small sample size with only 3 games and we don't know his current health status or if he's been able to lift weights to improve upper-body strength.

Initially, I thought Elway would stay away from Bolles because of his advanced age for a rookie. Sylvester Williams was in a similar situation, was a disappointment and Elway might fear a repeat with Bolles. But now the situation at LT is desperate. Among the top OTs, Bolles has the best footwork, he's the most agile to thrive at LT. Also, he is the most aggressive blocker and plays nasty. Look at the free agents Elway just signed: Leary, Watson. He wants a mean streak from the o-line. Bolles fits the description.

Cam Robinson is the most experienced with 3 seasons as the starting LT for Alabama. He's seen a lot of quality edge rushers. Robinson is built like the prototype LT with long arms and might have the highest upside. He's a big guy, but does not play like a mauler. I did not see him burying people and getting after defenders like Bolles, for example. I do think Robinson has movement skills to stay at OT in the NFL.

Ramczyk is probably the most pro-ready after playing in the Wisconsin system with his hand on the ground. He is the most technically sound. Probably not a high ceiling, but he comes with the highest floor. It's plug-and-play with him and he has played against quality competition. His hip surgery is an issue, especially when the Broncos have already dealt with too many injuries across the o-line.

Elway needs to make a decision on Donald Stephenson before his $4 million salary becomes guaranteed Monday. If Stephenson is gone, the hole at LT will only get bigger.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Are we talking actual BPA or everyone's obsession with wasting the #20 on converting a running back into a receiver?

BPA will probably still be our biggest need which is LT. The draft is deep at D-line and TE and we could probably find the same level of talent at ILB in the 2nd unless foster is there at #20.

The only way we don't take one is if the eagles or ravens pick one before us and another team leap frogs us to take another. A few other teams might reach for a QB instead of waiting. That could push a top 10 prospect or two into our laps that would be BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by nas1 View Post
    Jabrill Peppers would be nice
    And play him where?
    Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #40

Theres so many different ways we can go.

CB- Talib getting older and Roby due a new deal soon. In todays game, can never have enough corners.

RB- Cook or McCaffrey would add some much needed jolt Denver's offense.

TE- If OJ Howard falls, he'd be highly intriguing but such a deep TE class.

ILB- Reddick, Foster, Cunnigham, Jarrod Davis would all fit. Foster most likely long gone.

DL- Currently with no one added, could add here, not sure any of them worth a pick where we're at.

OL- Unless Robinson is there, how much does Denver like Ramcyck or Bolles?

EDGE- Pretty good edge rusher class, can never have enough.
    Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #40

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Looking at our current situation, I'll say this:

1. If we get Cam Robinson, he becomes the LT from day one.
    2. If we get Garrett Bolles, he becomes the LT from day one.
    3. If we get Ryan Ramczyk, he becomes the LT from day one.

This is very similar to the 2008 offseason when Matt Lepsis retired, leaving a void at LT. Ryan Clady was athletic, had great feet but was a raw OT with technique issues and got beat a lot in college. Mike Shanahan plugged him at LT from day one and it worked out just fine.

Any of the top-3 OTs from this class can be plugged at LT for the Broncos. Look at the others options we have. Sambrailo survived at LT as a rookie, but it was a small sample size with only 3 games and we don't know his current health status or if he's been able to lift weights to improve upper-body strength.

Initially, I thought Elway would stay away from Bolles because of his advanced age for a rookie. Sylvester Williams was in a similar situation, was a disappointment and Elway might fear a repeat with Bolles. But now the situation at LT is desperate. Among the top OTs, Bolles has the best footwork, he's the most agile to thrive at LT. Also, he is the most aggressive blocker and plays nasty. Look at the free agents Elway just signed: Leary, Watson. He wants a mean streak from the o-line. Bolles fits the description.

Cam Robinson is the most experienced with 3 seasons as the starting LT for Alabama. He's seen a lot of quality edge rushers. Robinson is built like the prototype LT with long arms and might have the highest upside. He's a big guy, but does not play like a mauler. I did not see him burying people and getting after defenders like Bolles, for example. I do think Robinson has movement skills to stay at OT in the NFL.

Ramczyk is probably the most pro-ready after playing in the Wisconsin system with his hand on the ground. He is the most technically sound. Probably not a high ceiling, but he comes with the highest floor. It's plug-and-play with him and he has played against quality competition. His hip surgery is an issue, especially when the Broncos have already dealt with too many injuries across the o-line.

Elway needs to make a decision on Donald Stephenson before his $4 million salary becomes guaranteed Monday. If Stephenson is gone, the hole at LT will only get bigger.
    Right. 1, 2, 3

My take, too.

Good post.

Don't get why I must spread. I'm an I Formation guy.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

And now Daniel Jeremiah is reporting that CB Sidney Jones suffered a significant lower leg injury during his Pro Day. Horrible for Jones and bad for the Broncos. Jones is a top-15 pick. If his stock falls (probable), there's a better chance one of the teams ahead of the Broncos take a player Elway is targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Those are good points from scouting reports on Garrett Bolles. If he is being considered at Left Tackle, it's important to keep in mind what that position needs. The main job of a Left Tackle is pass protection.

Even if Denver uses more angle blocking, the Left Tackle isn't usually called on to do a ton of down blocking. Maybe on a Fold Combo with the Guard, release to the second level or an outside pull would be more common than a steady diet of down blocking.

Reach against an odd front or down against a split front would probably the most common run blocks to the TE hole or wider on the left. Angle blocked run plays usually go to the right, where the down blockers are, behind the pulling LG.

NFL Draft Scout's report on Bolles sounds like a Left Tackle prospect to me. If Denver picked him and started him there, he'd still be a rookie facing the best pass rushers, so realistic expectations would be in order. McCoy and Davidson know how to mitigate some of those situations with 21 and 12 personnel formations.
    Good points. I guess I kind of see him as the same type of OL that Sambrailo is and Ty is even bigger by almost 15lbs. Going by their draft profiles they have similar weaknesses ... core strength. Bolles looks like the more athletic player though.
    Ty could still have the potential to be a solid pass blocking LT. I know, many people have given up on Ty but with a healthy off-season he just might surprise ... I hope.
    Oh yeah, and there is still Justin Murray.
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 03-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    And play him where?
    I would play him at linebacker. Use him like the redskins use crave and the cardinals use buchannon. His speed and cover skills can eliminate the mid match that some running backs out the back field and tight ends create. If you seen him st the combine he looks solid and probably could add some more lean mass to his frame without sacrificing any speed or quickness.

With all that said I still wouldn't draft him at #20 and its very doubtful he makes it to our #2.