Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Broncos have been awful in the Draft

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery...present-030117

Elway and Company rank 29th in Drafting the past 5 years. They have been particularly bad in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Derek Wolfe has been the only player they've hit on in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in Elway's tenure. His track record with late round picks and undrafted players has been much better. Much of the Broncos success has been because of Free Agents, but now without the Peyton Manning Factor big name Free Agents are less likely to come here on team friendly deals and the Draft has become even more important. Hopefully this new coaching staff can coach these young guys up. John Fox was fired in part because he failed to develop the young guys and never wanted to play them. Kubiac was to loyal to his staff and decided to retire instead of firing his offensive guys. Too bad, I thought with a couple new hires he could had our young guys ready to rock next year.
    "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

One report's ranking does not actually mean they rank 29th. Lol. I'm not arguing that they've been great. Just saying that this article does not actually mean anything.

Yawn

10 characters

Roster is slowly losing talent the longer Elway has been overlord of the draft. TE, QB, OL, DL, LB, RB, WR.... Elway has made multiple picks and have whiffed.

Elway's has to own the fact he decided to draft Osweiler over R.Wilson and Paxton over Prescott.

Hillman, Ball, Booker have been early round whiffs. Of course, Booker still has time and CJ Anderson has been decent enough not to make this a complete disaster.

Brock and Paxton appear to be major swing and misses. Of course, Pax still has time to prove us wrong, TS might be decent enough and Brock at least got DEN home field -- which led to a SB.... So, again, not a complete failure, but also not inspiring.

TE and WR choices have been downright pitiful.

Fox found us a few LBs, since then.... again.... we've found only bodies. Nothing particularly special.

Give credit to Elway for choosing Miller and for taking advantage when Rey fell. He found Shaq.... So, we get a solid "A" drafting pass rushers.

The OL has been pretty bad. Elway found a gem in Paradis but otherwise he's gambled on a bunch of practice squad type players early in the draft.

We know DBs. This seems to be Elway's strength.

The DL is interesting. We found malik and hit with Wolfe. Sly wasn't really worth a first and Gotsis might not be worth a 2nd. We let baker walk.... I would give Elway a "C" here.

Bottom line is that Elway has failed to draft a franchise QB in 5 years, but most teams struggle with this. He's passed on too much sure-thing talent in rounds 2-3 for gambles and risks and this has really cost DEN. It's been balanced by some free agent finds and undrafted gems. But, this draft is really going to decide DEN's fate.

With not a lot of free agent help and with plenty of picks and holes, DEN can't afford to walk away from this draft and have 1 productive asset. Elway needs to find 3 eventual starters and 2 impactful players along with a few quality depth guys.

But, such is life with the draft. NE has been terrible and they seem to have twice as many early round picks. This sort of things happen. But, to me, Elway somehow passed on 2 quality leaders in wilson and dak for 2 immature tools in Brock and Lynch. How did this happen with all the vetting and interviewing?
    Last edited by fraguela09; 03-11-2017 at 11:21 PM.

One of the reasons Vance Joseph was brought in to Coach the Denver Broncos is because he is believed to have an eye for talent and will soon find that out.

As far as Gary Kubiak putting his coaches before the team I'm not so sure about that because we all remember the 2015 season Gary Kubiak benched one Peyton Manning in favor of the team so why would he not dismiss a couple offensive coaches in favor of the team?

People on here are gonna try and defend it but we have been pretty terrible drafting especially on offense. Defense we do pretty good.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../den/draft.htm

I know you can't win with every pick but when it comes to rounds 1-3 there are alot of bust and underwhelming picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    One of the reasons Vance Joseph was brought in to Coach the Denver Broncos is because he is believed to have an eye for talent and will soon find that out.

As far as Gary Kubiak putting his coaches before the team I'm not so sure about that because we all remember the 2015 season Gary Kubiak benched one Peyton Manning in favor of the team so why would he not dismiss a couple offensive coaches in favor of the team?
    You cat compare Peyton to guys he has worked years with and known for decades.

Can't argue the bad drafting, but the last couple have been better in my opinion. I just hope it keeps up.

I feel like every year there is one early "what the hell" reach pick that never works out

It's like we get too creative for our own good

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Fox found us a few LBs, since then.... again.... we've found only bodies. Nothing particularly special.
    I don't like fox as a game coach, but maybe he should be getting more credit for our 2011 and 2012 drafts (best classes).

He had a very good 1st year draft with the Bears (guys can't stay healthy) that produced a good C, NT, FS, backup RB, and we will see what White can do. He pretty much hit on all picks in the rounds 1-5 (Him/Bears not sure). 2016 is looking darn good too.

Maybe Joseph has a better eye for talent and we can start hitting with more frequency. As a Bronco fan I of course respect and admire the hell out of Elway...but pretty obvious from my posts I am getting pretty frustrated with his personnel decisions.

Time to promote him and hire a GM?
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Some of you are ridiculous with "Lynch is a big swing and miss".

Before last years draft, Paxton Lynch was projected as a 2nd round and possible late 1st round pick by many draft pundits. We picked him 25th overall. That's late first round which is where pundits projected. Lynch was also projected as possibly the 3rd best prospect QB in the draft behind Goff and Wentz. Those 2 QBs were the first 2 QBs off the board and Lynch was the 3rd QB off the board when we chose him. Again, Lynch being the 3rd QB off the board is right where pundits projected him. Lastly, Lynch was said to be raw and a likely 2 year project for who ever took him. Lynch has played 1 season, a total of 2 1/2 games during the season, and is just entering his 2nd season; still within the 2 year project projection.

Nothing with Lynch is out of the ordinary from what draft analysts/pundits were saying before the 2016 draft.

I am almost sure of it that if Prescott didn't play as well as he did, the majority of the "Lynch is a swing and miss" wouldn't be being said.

Quote Originally Posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Some of you are ridiculous with "Lynch is a big swing and miss".

Before last years draft, Paxton Lynch was projected as a 2nd round and possible late 1st round pick by many draft pundits. We picked him 25th overall. That's late first round which is where pundits projected. Lynch was also projected as possibly the 3rd best prospect QB in the draft behind Goff and Wentz. Those 2 QBs were the first 2 QBs off the board and Lynch was the 3rd QB off the board when we chose him. Again, Lynch being the 3rd QB off the board is right where pundits projected him. Lastly, Lynch was said to be raw and a likely 2 year project for who ever took him. Lynch has played 1 season, a total of 2 1/2 games during the season, and is just entering his 2nd season; still within the 2 year project projection.

Nothing with Lynch is out of the ordinary from what draft analysts/pundits were saying before the 2016 draft.

I am almost sure of it that if Prescott didn't play as well as he did, the majority of the "Lynch is a swing and miss" wouldn't be being said.
    It also didn't help that we had one of the leages worst offensive lines and as a result of that could not run the ball.

Should Dallas fire their GM for not taking Prescott in round 1? No? - he found the right value in a later round? Maybe the rest of the league should fire their GMs?

Time will tell this tale....

I agree with the premise that we have not done well on offense drafting - especially on RBs - and O Line - although Paradis is proving to be a great pick.

I'm still a Big Fan of Lynch. He's a project, we all knew that when we drafted him, but he has a high ceiling. The system change will undoubtedly stunt his growth but will benefit him more in the long run. I have no problem with Elway's 1st round picks but his day 2 picks (2nd & 3rd round) have hurt this team.

This is probably true.

Our 13-15 drafts minus Ray, Roby, Paradis, and CJ as a UDFA are underwhelming to say the least.

16 on the surface looks better with Booker, Simmons, Parks, and Gotsis shows up better late in the year, Lynch TBD.McGovern has potential. Dixon was good as a punter.

17 hopefully we do better, this draft is loaded in areas we need (DB depth, TE, WR, DL has some guys, ILB too)

Hopefully a new coaching staff has better eye for talent than the last ones.
    Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #40