Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Not happy about this

The Chiefs seemed to be able to beat him one on one with bull rush no matter who they used.

This was a bad signing last year and imo we should cut ties asap.

Not an OL expert but does anyone else think any level of coaching can fix a guy who can not handle a one on one bull rush by anyone the Chiefs have?

Starting to wonder if Elway has lost his mojo? Maybe it was PM bringing all those good free agents here and not Elway....just a thought for people to dissect.
    "You need the highs and the lows," he says. "Because if it gets this way" -- he draws a flat line in the air -- "it kind of feels like you're not really doing anything." - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Not happy about this

The Chiefs seemed to be able to beat him one on one with bull rush no matter who they used.

Not an OL expert but does anyone else think any level of coaching can fix a guy who can not handle a one on one bull rush by anyone the Chiefs have?

Starting to wonder if Elway has lost his mojo? Maybe it was PM bringing all those good free agents here and not Elway....just a thought for people to dissect.
    SecondsAway131 just pointed out the financials. We lose nothing by doing this. His guaranteed pay was a sunk cost and there was nothing we were going to be able to do about it. Leaving his contract as it was was worse than the way it is now. The team has to get through the off season and needs guys at multiple positions in order to function so he is, at worst, a camp body. There is no down side to this. No use crying about a mistake made last year. Make the best of it and move on.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Put him at nose tackle

Not happy about this

For what it's worth he was much better when he was on the Chiefs, where he was average/slightly below average. Certainly better than the worst tackle in the league in 2016, as some analysts have suggested.

Also, this isn't an extension, as I said earlier. It saves us money if we cut him.

This gives us leeway to take him into camp and compete at a position that we are thin at. If he struggles in camp, we cut him and save 2 million dollars. That wouldn't have been possible before this restructure.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Exactly.

It will be a new season with a new coaching staff giving our offensive linemen a new start. I think we may be surprised at players like Stephenson, Schofield (with another year in the fire), and a guy like Sambrailo who is finally healthy enough to get into the weight room.
    I sure hope you're right, and I believe you are regarding Schofield. Ty and Stephenson I have kinda lost hope on, so anything good will be a pleasant surprise lol.
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    Put him at nose tackle
    Well then he would definitely contribute to a great run game

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    For what it's worth he was much better when he was on the Chiefs, where he was average/slightly below average. Certainly better than the worst tackle in the league in 2016, as some analysts have suggested.

Also, this isn't an extension, as I said earlier. It saves us money if we cut him.

This gives us leeway to take him into camp and compete at a position that we are thin at. If he struggles in camp, we cut him and save 2 million dollars. That wouldn't have been possible before this restructure.
    hopefully this move makes him realize how far behind the curve he is, and improve his game. Hope that happens, but doubt it.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    I sure hope you're right, and I believe you are regarding Schofield. Ty and Stephenson I have kinda lost hope on, so anything good will be a pleasant surprise lol.
    I agree on Stephenson. But, keep in mind our Front Office thought enough of Sambrailo to spend a 2nd Round Draft choice on the guy, and he started at LT, as a rookie protecting Manning, in the first 3 games of 2015 before tearing his Labrum. .And then he tried to "re-hab" the shoulder when he would have been better off just having the surgery which didn't happen until the middle of November. He wasn't able to do anything until just before the next season started, and then he hurt his elbow. The criticism of Sambrailo coming out of college was that he wasn't strong enough, and needed some uninterrupted work in the weight room. He is finally getting that now. If it doesn't work out, then Drafting him was a pretty big mistake.
    Last edited by gtown53; 03-12-2017 at 10:15 PM.

I'm a huge fan of bringing Chris Stausser on board to help our line. I think he will make a big difference with the young guys, as well as the vets. He worked miracles in Boise and Washington.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

this is one of the better moves I have seen. A guy who is willing to do this is a guy I'd like to give a shot at coming back to the team IF he improves and shows he can be a better it in the new offensive system.

He gave up a million dollars to get the chance to make our team, I like people that bet on themselves, even he is cut, this still shows heart. I think he is a better fit at his old college position LT.

All that was said about Brock, that was the thing that disappointed me, I wanted him to stay with us and earn a big day, instead he was handed a team and check, and the expectations were so high he got all the blame, free agents who break the bank rarely live up to their contract.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    SecondsAway131 just pointed out the financials. We lose nothing by doing this. His guaranteed pay was a sunk cost and there was nothing we were going to be able to do about it. Leaving his contract as it was was worse than the way it is now. The team has to get through the off season and needs guys at multiple positions in order to function so he is, at worst, a camp body. There is no down side to this. No use crying about a mistake made last year. Make the best of it and move on.
    So I think you two completly miss the better opportunity imo

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/12...tract-broncos/
    Broncos offensive tackle Donald Stephenson agreed to restructure his contract for the 2017 season, according to two NFL sources. Stephenson’s $4 million salary for 2017 was to be fully guaranteed Monday. Instead, $2 million will be guaranteed and the other $2 million can be earned if he makes the 53-man roster.
    The reason he gave up 2 of the 4 million is because if we cut him before that deadline we would not have had to pay any of the 4 million on the next year salary. I personally would have rather have played a UDFA rookie than give that man another 2 million dollars.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/03/1...nson-contract/

Chiefs seem to be as happy about the deal as you two

Maybe they will send some money to the Broncos if we keep him

I do not need an analyst to tell me how this guy played. The team the knows him the best used a simple bull rush by multiple players to expose him. You can bet other teams will do more of the same in 2017.

Not oblivious to the concept of maybe a different coaching staff can help him...I just think there is a better chance I will win the lottery.
    "You need the highs and the lows," he says. "Because if it gets this way" -- he draws a flat line in the air -- "it kind of feels like you're not really doing anything." - John Elway

Meant to quote this post instead of JJBroncoFan post but the wonderful new "features" of the forums are wrecking havoc on my posting and ability to edit posts

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post

So I think you two completly miss the better opportunity imo

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/12...tract-broncos/

The reason he gave up 2 of the 4 million is because if we cut him before that deadline we would not have had to pay any of the 4 million on the next year salary. I personally would have rather have played a UDFA rookie than give that man another 2 million dollars.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/03/1...nson-contract/

Chiefs seem to be as happy about the deal as you two

Maybe they will send some money to the Broncos if we keep him

I do not need an analyst to tell me how this guy played. The team the knows him the best used a simple bull rush by multiple players to expose him. You can bet other teams will do more of the same in 2017.

Not oblivious to the concept of maybe a different coaching staff can help him...I just think there is a better chance I will win the lottery.
    I'll be the first to agree he was terrible for us. I won't argue that. However, when you have as much lack at the position as we do, the last thing we need to do is take options away. Options at the position and more competition lead to increased performance. Maybe we decide to stick with an UDFA instead of Stephenson when camp rolls around, but that UDFA isn't around right now.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Wow, frustrating. I guess it's just my annoyance from last season that wants to see him cut. We gave ourselves a pretty good out if we decide to cut him later.
    As much as I'm annoyed and would like to see him go. Players can grow and improve. Our new guard Leary is a good example of that. He started out as the weakest link on the Cowboys line before growing into a great player.

While I would rather see someone else signed to replace him, if he remains on the team, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves he doesn't deserve it with a new coaching staff.