Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking risks

Taking risks

I say in the 3rd round we take two risks.

1. Sidney Jones - first round talent, unlike most teams we have a stacked secondary. Which would allow Jones to take the time he needs to heal correctly while learning behind Talib/Harris. This is sort of a need also.. we get a 1st round talent in the 3rd and if we can't resign Roby next year or end up releasing Talib our secondary would be reloaded with this kid.

Mixon- the risk is the backlash and troubled past that follows him. I think this kid is the most talent RB in this draft.

If we hit a home run in the first and second round in this very deep draft along with taking these risks we could end up with 4 future pro bowl players in one draft.

Quote Originally Posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    I say in the 3rd round we take two risks.

1. Sidney Jones - first round talent, unlike most teams we have a stacked secondary. Which would allow Jones to take the time he needs to heal correctly while learning behind Talib/Harris. This is sort of a need also.. we get a 1st round talent in the 3rd and if we can't resign Roby next year or end up releasing Talib our secondary would be reloaded with this kid.

Mixon- the risk is the backlash and troubled past that follows him. I think this kid is the most talent RB in this draft.

If we hit a home run in the first and second round in this very deep draft along with taking these risks we could end up with 4 future pro bowl players in one draft.
    I fully support both of these. I dont think Mixon will be available in the 3rd. I think he goes late 2nd.

Jones will fall lower than the 3rd. You take a risk on him in the 4th or 5th, because that's when teams will start looking at him. But outside of New England, it's hard to picture a team willing to use a second day pick on a player who will provide them no benefit until 2018 at the earliest.

After the Maurice Clarett, I'm shocked that anyone would want Denver to take a risk on a character running back in the 3rd. Denver should never be allowed to use a 3rd round pick on an RB with character concerns because of that pick.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Maurice and Mixon are on totally different levels of "troubled pasts" that's like comparing a convicted murdered to a thief. Mixon hasn't had any issues in 3 full years.

Ok let's wait until the 4th and lose out on Sidney Jones because every other team is waiting until the 4th? This kid is a top 10 talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    I fully support both of these. I dont think Mixon will be available in the 3rd. I think he goes late 2nd.
    I wouldn't be shocked to see a team draft him late in the second at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Jones will fall lower than the 3rd. You take a risk on him in the 4th or 5th, because that's when teams will start looking at him. But outside of New England, it's hard to picture a team willing to use a second day pick on a player who will provide them no benefit until 2018 at the earliest.

After the Maurice Clarett, I'm shocked that anyone would want Denver to take a risk on a character running back in the 3rd. Denver should never be allowed to use a 3rd round pick on an RB with character concerns because of that pick.
    I think part of the risk of taking him in the third is the idea that he would probably go in round 4 or 5. Sometimes you need to take a guy a round earlier than you'd like to make sure you get him. Thus is the life of picking at the end of a round. Every year, teams that pick at the end of each round takes a player or two that was projected a round later and fans get mad at the pick. They don't realize that the team probably believed that they wouldn't get him the next time they picked.

Cowboys did the same thing last year but it was a esrly 2.. I'd love to invest a 3rd in Jones.

I hated the years of searching for quality corners. I feel like with Jones there would be very little fall off once Talib leaves.

..and to be in a position to not need immediate production out of him.good spot to be in.. get healthy, see ya next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    ..and to be in a position to not need immediate production out of him.good spot to be in.. get healthy, see ya next year.
    Agreed. And next year we will lose Roby and or Talib. Which will be perfect if we have this kid on the shelf for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I think part of the risk of taking him in the third is the idea that he would probably go in round 4 or 5. Sometimes you need to take a guy a round earlier than you'd like to make sure you get him. Thus is the life of picking at the end of a round. Every year, teams that pick at the end of each round takes a player or two that was projected a round later and fans get mad at the pick. They don't realize that the team probably believed that they wouldn't get him the next time they picked.
    My question is if Denver currently has the luxury of spending a pick on player who will go on IR for 2017? I wouldn't go into the draft planning to take him, but if he fell enough and the value was there I would. Maybe the 3rd round comp pick.

Agreed. And next year we will lose Roby and or Talib. Which will be perfect if we have this kid on the shelf for a year.
    Roby's option will either get picked up or he will get tagged. I don't see how Roby leaves Denver unless he gets traded.

Maurice and Mixon are on totally different levels of "troubled pasts" that's like comparing a convicted murdered to a thief. Mixon hasn't had any issues in 3 full years.

Ok let's wait until the 4th and lose out on Sidney Jones because every other team is waiting until the 4th? This kid is a top 10 talent.
    It could be argued that Clarett's past was less checkered than Mixon's is. As I've said previously, he's not the only talented player in the draft, and not the only talented RB. A position that isn't valued high anymore and starters come from literally all parts of the draft along with UDFAs. I see no reason to waste a pick on a player who will create a PR headache, when you can get similar value elsewhere without the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Roby's option will either get picked up or he will get tagged. I don't see how Roby leaves Denver unless he gets traded.

They'll pick up the option, no reason not to. It's not guaranteed at this point, and won't be until the next league year. I'll never understand why teams don't exercise every 5th year option at the deadline, because all that does is buy you an extra season to make the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    They'll pick up the option, no reason not to. It's not guaranteed at this point, and won't be until the next league year. I'll never understand why teams don't exercise every 5th year option at the deadline, because all that does is buy you an extra season to make the decision.
    Further, I don't understand the preconceived notion of Talib not being with the team next offseason.