Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Tyler Polumbus was on the radio today saying that there is conversations going on at UC health center speculating that there will be a trade for Philadelphia left tackle Jason peters. I'm not sure what the Broncos would be giving up but they would automatically be committed to paying peters at least 10 million a year for his current salary.

I believe at that point the Broncos would have a little over 10 million to spend on Tony Romo and their draft picks.
    I remember hearing that too, but I dismissed it as an impossibility. If this is real, this would be a big deal. If we get Peters then that pretty much means we are out of the Romo sweepstakes. Fine by me, let's get Peters and ride this season out with Lynch and Siemian.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I remember hearing that too, but I dismissed it as an impossibility. If this is real, this would be a big deal. If we get Peters then that pretty much means we are out of the Romo sweepstakes. Fine by me, let's get Peters and ride this season out with Lynch and Siemian.
    No it could still happen, all they would have to do is handle the Demarius Thomas restructure. Taking care of all that upfront, giving the Broncos a little bit more spending money to work out a deal for both players.

No it could still happen, all they would have to do is handle the Demarius Thomas restructure. Taking care of all that upfront, giving the Broncos a little bit more spending money to work out a deal for both players.
    wouldn't that have to be something like 5 million taken out of his base contract to fit in Romo, incoming draft picks, and Peters? I'm not up to date with DT's contract
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

wouldn't that have to be something like 5 million taken out of his base contract to fit in Romo, incoming draft picks, and Peters? I'm not up to date with DT's contract
    If I'm correct I think the Broncos have a little over 20 million to spend right now.

So it obviously seems as if something is in the works however I'm hoping the Broncos are not dedicating the majority of that money to Tony Romo. Anyway if they were to move forward by restructuring DT's his contract today I believe it would give them an extra 9million to work with and overall close to 30 million in cap room.

This thing is not over and if they could save 9 million by restructuring DTs contract I do not see why they wouldnt jump at the opportunity and that way they could add some more much needed pieces to this team but that all remains to be seen.

Wouldn't cutting green save 3 million? Cutting Latimer save another 1 million and cutting Donald Stephenson would save anyone 2 million. 6 million in saving

DT restructure 3-4 million.

Total 5.7-9.7 million which should be enough to sign Romo

If I'm correct I think the Broncos have a little over 20 million to spend right now.

So it obviously seems as if something is in the works however I'm hoping the Broncos are not dedicating the majority of that money to Tony Romo. Anyway if they were to move forward by restructuring DT's his contract today I believe it would give them an extra 9million to work with and overall close to 30 million in cap room.

This thing is not over and if they could save 9 million by restructuring DTs contract I do not see why they wouldnt jump at the opportunity and that way they could add some more much needed pieces to this team but that all remains to be seen.
    Hey, Sam, in your opinion who do you think would the more formidable option between Peters and Dunlap? School has me busy as heck, so I haven't kept up with either player and I see that you listen to Tyler Polimbus a lot. Has Polumbus talked about the pros and cons of each player?

Broncos currently have $21,308,416.00 remaining on their salary cap. That does not count the draft pick signings though and that will knock us down to around $14,830,572 I think. So, we don't currently have enough for a legit tackle and Romo. Restructuring DT is a nuclear option. That will create a ton of dead money down the road and that is what Elway has done fantastic making sure does not happen. Don't sacrifice the future to win today. He has to keep balancing that. I know fans are split, but I'm hoping Romo works out and we can use Siemian in a trade. I'm sure Elway has something up his sleeve! #InElwayWeTrust

Bronco fan for 31 years!!!!

I am not hating on Elway. I think he has done a fine job, but if he makes a move for Romo, then he might end up on my crap list for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Oline I would agree only Franklin, and Paradis are starters in the league from Elways drafts, but Wolfe, Malik, and Sly have all got nice pay days due to their development., Sly I think benefitted from who was around him but Wolfe and Malik would start on most teams, Ray is a 3-4 olb but would be a DE in a 4-3.

In Elways defense he has tried to address the oline, he has brought in FA guards Vasquez,& Mathis, and Tackle's Okung, Harris, and Stephenson.

In the Draft Elway has used picks on Orlando Franklin, Garcia, Sambrailo, Schofield, McGovern, and Paradis.
    People saying Elway hasn't attempted to address the line confuses me. He just brought in two oline man in the first week of free agency and last year spent $14 million on two tackles. His strategy with the oline has resulted in 5 division titles, 2 AFC Championships, and 1 Superbowl in 6 years. Our starting tackles in our best season were Ryan Harris ( off the couch), & Micheal Schofield.
    The Oline players he brings in are average to low end players. The 3 OT he has brought in the past 2 years are all injury history and low performing players and one of them is already gone after 1 season. How does that help solidify the position?

In the draft, it is usually mid to late round picks plus a wasted pick on Sambrailo when he should have known better. You say his Oline strategy resulted ...fill it in....it wasn't the Oline...it was Peyton Manning and the defense. Now the best Dlineman we had, Malik Jackson, is now gone with no replacement and same with the DT position...unless any of you really think Peko is the answer. The first year without Manning...we finished 3rd in the division and no playoffs.

The history I spoke of stands. There was a 10+ year stretch from around 2000-2010 where the Broncos had a different duo of DT every year. There was only 1 year, in that span, where they had the same set in back to back years. The only long term Dline player we have had in maybe 20 years is Wolfe...and is just an average player...solid but nothing special.

The Oline has been an issue since 2006, or so. Since 2006 they have drafted 18 Olinemen. How many of them turned into long term starters for us? 1? maybe 2? In that time how many FA Olinemen have turned into long term starters? 0?

I have felt for a long time that the Dline coaching has been horrible. How can they go so long with so little development out of so many players. In 2007 they only had 4 picks and spent 3 of them on Dline. Moss, Crowder, and Marcus Thomas...they all failed to develop into quality players. Since 2007 they have drafted Dline in the first 3 rounds only 3 times. Gotsis, Wolfe, and Sly.

I fail to see how the lines have been addressed.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-16-2017 at 05:55 AM.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Why is Romo even a topic? Dallas has not released him and Elway will not pony up a draft pick. Jones probably will not release him until he is forced to and that is by June 1st.

Being a passionate fan, no matter how articulate or not, does not strike me as panic.

Though the devil is always in the details, all I see are a great number of posters who want their team to succeed next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Oline I would agree only Franklin, and Paradis are starters in the league from Elways drafts, but Wolfe, Malik, and Sly have all got nice pay days due to their development., Sly I think benefitted from who was around him but Wolfe and Malik would start on most teams, Ray is a 3-4 olb but would be a DE in a 4-3.

In Elways defense he has tried to address the oline, he has brought in FA guards Vasquez,& Mathis, and Tackle's Okung, Harris, and Stephenson.

In the Draft Elway has used picks on Orlando Franklin, Garcia, Sambrailo, Schofield, McGovern, and Paradis.
    People saying Elway hasn't attempted to address the line confuses me. He just brought in two oline man in the first week of free agency and last year spent $14 million on two tackles. His strategy with the oline has resulted in 5 division titles, 2 AFC Championships, and 1 Superbowl in 6 years. Our starting tackles in our best season were Ryan Harris ( off the couch), & Micheal Schofield.
    You touting our starting Tackles in the SB IMO is not a great thing. It is no secret that our defense won that SB. When you just engulf an offense which has been firing on all cylinders and scoring major points and stop them dead in their tracks it is a real confidence killer. Our early leads, much like the Sea superbowl loss, allowed us to play a more aggressive game and do things we otherwise would not have been able to do.

Now to the other posts here. I cannot understand why people are not concerned about how we have drafted on our offensive line. The tackle position to be more specific. Our offense statistically has ranked near the bottom of the league for a couple of years now. I also think that some of our issues have not necessarily been who we HAVE taken but who we didn't take. For example who did we have on our roster coming into this season who could start at LT? - no one. Who did we bring in so far? - a lower tier wave 1-2 guy. I hope he works out I really do but he is not a proven talent in the NFL yet. When Elway saw Tebow play and struggle in the play-offs against NE he pushed and pushed hard to bring PM here to replace him. When our CB's were struggling in coverage against physical receivers Elway went out and targeted Talib. I think ultimately many fans are wondering why our OT's in particular are not being treated with the same value and urgency.

One other tie in to the paragraph I have above. Elway has also shown a great blue-print to back-fill talent with his drafting and approach with the Db's. I also think that we have nailed our general approach to the RB's and not going crazy drafting them until we have protection. Now with a general culture and blueprint of churning talent and back-filling position groups I think as fans we see the two groups that were missed - nearly completely were OT and our Interior D-Lineman. Yet despite not taking the same approach in bringing guys in at these spots we continued to let some guys on our team walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    You touting our starting Tackles in the SB IMO is not a great thing. It is no secret that our defense won that SB. When you just engulf an offense which has been firing on all cylinders and scoring major points and stop them dead in their tracks it is a real confidence killer. Our early leads, much like the Sea superbowl loss, allowed us to play a more aggressive game and do things we otherwise would not have been able to do.

Now to the other posts here. I cannot understand why people are not concerned about how we have drafted on our offensive line. The tackle position to be more specific. Our offense statistically has ranked near the bottom of the league for a couple of years now. I also think that some of our issues have not necessarily been who we HAVE taken but who we didn't take. For example who did we have on our roster coming into this season who could start at LT? - no one. Who did we bring in so far? - a lower tier wave 1-2 guy. I hope he works out I really do but he is not a proven talent in the NFL yet. When Elway saw Tebow play and struggle in the play-offs against NE he pushed and pushed hard to bring PM here to replace him. When our CB's were struggling in coverage against physical receivers Elway went out and targeted Talib. I think ultimately many fans are wondering why our OT's in particular are not being treated with the same value and urgency.

One other tie in to the paragraph I have above. Elway has also shown a great blue-print to back-fill talent with his drafting and approach with the Db's. I also think that we have nailed our general approach to the RB's and not going crazy drafting them until we have protection. Now with a general culture and blueprint of churning talent and back-filling position groups I think as fans we see the two groups that were missed - nearly completely were OT and our Interior D-Lineman. Yet despite not taking the same approach in bringing guys in at these spots we continued to let some guys on our team walk.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

I think its reasonable. We have all seen this team have success and then fall off quickly after. I'm not that old so I only witnessed the late 90's team and then the drop off. Then we had the 05 team that went to the AFC championship game and then we dropped off again and now we have this team miss the playoffs right after winning a superbowl. New coaching staff and the glaring holes and deficiencies we had the previous season are still unfixed. So for alot of folks to have doubts or "panic" I think its reasonable.

This all depends on what we are giving up in return...