Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Denver meets with mixon

http://www.9news.com/mb/amp/sports/n...ixon/423060956

"KUSA—The Denver Broncos will become the latest team to visit with talented but controversial Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon at the team’s headquarters.
    Mixon met with several teams during his Pro Day last week, met privately last weekend with the Cincinnati Bengals and is scheduled to meet with the Broncos on Thursday at team headquarters.
    Ordinarily, the Broncos don’t consider bringing in a player that carries the type of character red flag that is part of Mixon’s scouting report. Mixon, however, is considered a first- or second-round talent and after the NFL did not permit him to attend the Scouting Combine two weeks ago, the Broncos and at least a dozen other teams have been scheduling personal visits with the prospect at their headquarters.
    “I think he’s an outstanding individual,’’ said Peter Schaffer, the Denver-based agent who represents Mixon. “He’s been nothing but fantastic every step along the way with me. Everybody who’s come in contact with him has come away very impressed with his character and his demeanor and his positive attitude, as well as his love of football as well as his acknowledgement he’s made a mistake. I expect the people he meets with will come away with the same feeling.’’

More in article

Honestly, I wouldnt be thrilled.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

due diligence
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I wouldn't be thrilled either, but this would make me feel slightly better that they brought him in for a visit first. Gives the front office a better idea of where Mixon is mentally and how he conducts himself going forward.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

I am happy we are meeting with him. If you have any reservations about him as an organization this is your chance to have your questions answered. If Denver has any inkling of drafting this kid it would be stupid not to meet with him. This doesn't mean you will draft him. After this meeting our front office may decide he is too hot to handle. Of course they may also see a different person than a few years ago that they can trust.

Interesting.

A meeting mean interest. Doesnt mean we will draft Mixon if he were to be available to us at a time where we would like to draft him, but we obviously have some kind of interest.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    due diligence
    100%. Why wouldn't you want to meet with a young man who is clearly talented. Also of note he has not had any major incidents since the one several years ago. I'd imagine initial background has either revealed a small blip (which we may want cleared up) or nothing at all at which point we wish to see how he responds to questions.

At this point I think it is clear enough to most that he appears ot have the physical tools required to play in the NFL.

Seems like they are doing their homework. If they find him remorseful and credible then I would be happy to draft him anywhere in the 2nd or beyond. I would hope that after they do their homework they would draft him in the 2nd, if not trade up in the 2nd for him. His talent level is top 20 worthy.

Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is visiting the Broncos on Thursday, according to Dan Graziano of ESPN.

Mixon previously visited the Bengals. The Broncos could be looking to upgrade their running back position with C.J. Anderson completing the guarantees on his contract and Devontae Booker failing to show much as a rookie. Mixon is arguably the most talented ball carrier in the class, but missed an entire season after punching a female in 2014. It is impossible to place his draft status. The decision will totally be up to the head coach, general manager and, most importantly, team owner.
    Source: ESPN Mar 16 - 12:56 PM

---------

A young man who makes a mistake is allowed a second chance. Meeting with him to gauge the person's level of remorse and to get a feel for his maturity and attitude, is simply doing your homework.

If DEN looks into his eyes and buys what they see, they leave him on their draft board and act accordingly.

This is a deep TE &!RB class, which makes you believe DEN could go with Foster, Ross, a DL prospect, the LT from Wisconsin and then hope to get a Butt & Mixon in the third round.

I was starting to get worried. The guy is probably the most complete back in the draft. Some give you the size power and bellcow running ability (fornette) others give you versatility (mcafery) but mix on gives you all of that. Has everything you want from a running back. Wouldn't be mad if we took him in the second but would be over the moon if we got him in the third.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I was starting to get worried. The guy is probably the most complete back in the draft. Some give you the size power and bellcow running ability (fornette) others give you versatility (mcafery) but mix on gives you all of that. Has everything you want from a running back. Wouldn't be mad if we took him in the second but would be over the moon if we got him in the third.
    We are not getting him in the 3rd. There are some teams that may not go RB in the first that will definitely be looking his way RD 2. That is unless he has a setback before draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    We are not getting him in the 3rd. There are some teams that may not go RB in the first that will definitely be looking his way RD 2. That is unless he has a setback before draft day.
    Its crazy that several months ago he was slated to be undrafted and now his value is almost near what it would have been without the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Its crazy that several months ago he was slated to be undrafted and now his value is almost near what it would have been without the issue.
    I agree. Now just watch someone will still get him in the 3rd or later and I will be wrong.

Based on what I know, which may be insufficient info at this time, I do not want the guy. But I do not blame Denver for meeting with him, see where he is from a character perspective, and make informed decisions accordingly.

If the incident happened 6-12 months ago I could see how he goes undrafted. But the time span gives teams a better idea of his character.

Some mistakes are bigger than others, but if we condemned everyone who made mistakes we'd all be condemned! I think he deserves a second chance. Time will tell with Mixon, we shall see.