Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bronx mock draft 2017

1 - TJ Watt, OLB - Wisconsin

I don't think this is our most pressing need with Miller, Ray, and Barrett.. even with the Ware retirement. I do think this kid is incredibly impressive. He can play ILB at times if needed and is a very good tackler. Has good burst and closing speed. I absolutely love his work ethic and hustle on every play. I believe in taking the BPA and this kid will be special.

2 - Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE - Villanova

The perfect 5 technique in a 3-4. A little raw but brings size, power, and speed to the edge. Had a really good combine and senior bowl. With a little work his ceiling is really high.

3 - Joe Mixon, RB - Oklahoma

He made a mistake a few years ago but deserves another chance. A great addition to the backfield and adds speed, has promise on ST's. Along with CJ and Booker we could have a really productive backfield.

3 - Isaac Asiata, OG - Utah

I like Garcia at RG but we clearly need to inject talent all over the OL. Asiata is nasty, powerful, and a mauler. He can drive holes open on the ground and hold his own in pass protection.

4 - Will Holden, OT - Vanderbilt

A good athlete who has potential at LT although is a little raw. Has played OG as well.

5 - Chad Williams, WR - Grambling

Had some off the field issues but nothing terrible. I like Fowler and Taylor but we can't just rely on those 2 to break through. Williams has strong hands and wins 50-50 balls, is very good in the RZ, and has good speed to make plays down the field.

6 - Brad Seaton, OT - Villanova

Small school prospect with good size and movement.

7 - Sojourn Shelton, CB - Wisconsin

Size is an issue but has very good ball skills and was impressive the last 2 seasons. Is a ball player.

7 - Josh Augusta, NT - Missouri

Can be disruptive at the LOS but needs to control his weight

7 - JJ Dielman, C - Utah

Good size and has played OG and C. Opened up holes for Booker in 2015.

I don't love it, neither of the first 2 picks are needs. Denver has depth at OLB and they have Wolfe and Gotsis at the 5 tech, the need for youth is at 1 tech and 3 tech. I know it's called a "3-4" but Denver's defensive front has their linemen lined up and playing like a 40 defense.

Going BPA is good, but it also has to somewhat match a position of need. Several players will be around the same grade, so take the one who fills the biggest hole.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I don't love it, neither of the first 2 picks are needs. Denver has depth at OLB and they have Wolfe and Gotsis at the 5 tech, the need for youth is at 1 tech and 3 tech. I know it's called a "3-4" but Denver's defensive front has their linemen lined up and playing like a 40 defense.

Going BPA is good, but it also has to somewhat match a position of need. Several players will be around the same grade, so take the one who fills the biggest hole.
    I would say that a DE is a big need. Hopefully Gotsis pans out but we can't rely on that. We brought Kerr in but he is an OK rotational guy.

Watt is not a big need but another pass rusher doesn't hurt and he provides depth at ILB in case of injuries.

The big need is OT, I don't like them and don't see much there. I see Watt as a pro bowler who will make our D even more dangerous

I like everything except the first pick. I dont think he could be BPA at #20 and I just don't see how we work him in. Even at ILB I'm not really seeing it. I guess he could work out as kind of like a read and run type of linebacker that kills whoever has the ball like look for where the play is going if the QB has then go for it on a delayed blitz not sure if I'm explaining jt properly. That might be seen as a simplistic way of using him but it could definitely work. He looks like a slightly smaller version of his brother out there. I think someone like hasan reddick who has shown a bit more versatility in terms of coverage skills and is overall more athletic would be available at 20 and be taken first in a BPA situation.
    Last edited by shawinkerpoppin; 03-16-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I like everything except the first pick. I dont think he could be BPA at #20 and I just don't see how we work him in. Even at ILB I'm not really seeing it. I guess he could work out as kind of like a read and run type of linebacker that kills whoever has the ball like look for where the play is going if the QB has then go for it on a delayed blitz not sure if I'm explaining jt properly. That might be seen as a simplistic way of using him but it could definitely work. He looks like a slightly smaller version of his brother out there.
    Is that a bad thing ?

TBH it doesn't even bother me who his brother is, I'm just looking at him as a prospect. I like to load up on D and a good DC will find ways to work his guys in. Look at it this way - It worked great last year and we are just swapping Ware for Watt.

I'm just a big Watt fan. He has great closing speed, great leadership and hustle on every play, is a good tackler, and players like Miller and Wolfe are 'dogs' who bring it and gives the D aggressiveness and toughness.... Watt perfectly fits that mold

Some boards give T.J. Watt a high second round grade. Denver might be able to do better at #20. He's a good player, but I don't know if I like him in the first round.

Some boards give Tanoh Kpassagnon a low third, high fourth round grade. Denver might be able to do better at #51. He might fit Denver's D well, but He seems more like #101 or #126.

Joe Mixon might be there at #82 which is a common grade for him, mid-late third. He would warrant close examination before being drafted.

Isaac Asiata is a good O-Line prospect who might project best at RG. He might be gone before Mixon. He might be there at #82, but I doubt if he'd be available at #101. He's a good Guard.

Will Holden has a late third round grade. He might be there at #101, but maybe not at #126.

Some boards have Chad Williams not being drafted. Maybe Denver will target him as an UDFA prospect. Denver may be able to do better at #177.

Some boards have Brad Seaton not being drafted. Maybe Denver tries to sign him as an UDFA. Denver might be able to do better at #203.

Sojourn Shelton may or may not be drafted. Some boards have him right at the end of seventh/UDFA range. He's a smaller DB, so that may be a reason he's graded there. Even at #238, Denver might be able to find a better prospect.

The boards also don't have John Augusta being drafted. He's a big guy, though. Even at #252, Denver might find a better prospect.

Even with his season ending injury last year, some boards give J.J. Dielman a fourth round grade. I don't think he'll be "Mr. Irrelevant". He used to play Tackle, but at 6'5" he may have the long legs which are helpful at the Center spot.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Is that a bad thing ?

TBH it doesn't even bother me who his brother is, I'm just looking at him as a prospect. I like to load up on D and a good DC will find ways to work his guys in. Look at it this way - It worked great last year and we are just swapping Ware for Watt.

I'm just a big Watt fan. He has great closing speed, great leadership and hustle on every play, is a good tackler, and players like Miller and Wolfe are 'dogs' who bring it and gives the D aggressiveness and toughness.... Watt perfectly fits that mold
    That's a good thing that's why I said it. If we were able to pull that off we would be looking at potentially 3 players with double digit sacks.

I would not mind any of this minus the 1st pick. I would prefer Taco to him if we are talking pass rusher. I also would go OL, TE, or DL before him. Everything else I really like.

I would say that a DE is a big need. Hopefully Gotsis pans out but we can't rely on that. We brought Kerr in but he is an OK rotational guy.

Watt is not a big need but another pass rusher doesn't hurt and he provides depth at ILB in case of injuries.

The big need is OT, I don't like them and don't see much there. I see Watt as a pro bowler who will make our D even more dangerous
    Kerr will play either 1 or 3 tech, that's where he fits. Gotsis was a second round pick last year hand picked by the D-Line coach, and Wolfe is going into year 2 of his contract. At this point I don't see room at 5 tech. How big is Tanoh, can he play 3 tech or even 1 tech? Because that would make him interesting. I'd also be curious to know if by ideal 3-4 DE it's meant that he's best as a 2 gap player? Because if that's the case then he doesn't fit Denver's defense.

I'm not saying Watt won't be good, but it's a matter of whether he's a fit here in a position that has a need? This pick seems like more of a luxury pick.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Some boards give Tanoh Kpassagnon a low third, high fourth round grade. Denver might be able to do better at #51. He might fit Denver's D well, but He seems more like #101 or #126.
    I guess we won't know where players will go until the draft.

Tanoh for example goes #60 on the nfl.com 4 round mock.

Kerr will play either 1 or 3 tech, that's where he fits. Gotsis was a second round pick last year hand picked by the D-Line coach, and Wolfe is going into year 2 of his contract. At this point I don't see room at 5 tech. How big is Tanoh, can he play 3 tech or even 1 tech? Because that would make him interesting. I'd also be curious to know if by ideal 3-4 DE it's meant that he's best as a 2 gap player? Because if that's the case then he doesn't fit Denver's defense.

I'm not saying Watt won't be good, but it's a matter of whether he's a fit here in a position that has a need? This pick seems like more of a luxury pick.
    I know where your coming from, and I knew Watt would be questioned.

What positions do you see a big need on our roster ? I would argue its only at OT and I personally do not like any of the round one tackles apart from Robinson who I believe will be gone by 20.

I would take Robinson if he is still there.

I know where your coming from, and I knew Watt would be questioned.

What positions do you see a big need on our roster ? I would argue its only at OT and I personally do not like any of the round one tackles apart from Robinson who I believe will be gone by 20.

I would take Robinson if he is still there.
    Robinson would be my pick as well, he's been my favourite since I started looking at available players when the season ended. To me positions of need are T, ILB, Interior d-line (1 and 3 tech) although no one really fits where Denver will pick, and then RB if Cook falls and Robinson isn't there I would take him. And then if Howard is there, and there's no BPA at T, ILB or interior line, I'd think about taking him.

If the Broncos like Watt enough where they want to take him early, it might be best to trade back a little bit and take him a little later.

I believe Tanoh Kpassaghon measured in at 6'7" 289lbs. I don't know the lingo of "techniques" but he seems of similar size of Campbell.

I guess we won't know where players will go until the draft.

Tanoh for example goes #60 on the nfl.com 4 round mock.
    Right. There are a bunch of big boards on the internet and each team has their own; they are all different.

I liked the way Tanoh Kpassagnon played in the Senior Bowl. He's listed as a DE, but he is more like a 4/5 tech in an odd front than he is like a 9 tech in a split.

He seems very suitable for a D like Denver's. We'll see where he goes and when.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    I believe Tanoh Kpassaghon measured in at 6'7" 289lbs. I don't know the lingo of "techniques" but he seems of similar size of Campbell.
    That would lend more towards a 5 technique on base downs and 3 tech on passing downs. If he can add size and get to about 300 then he'd be a good 3 tech candidate.

Since a lot of people probably don't know either, I'll hopefully be able to explain. An even numbered technique means they're head up on an offensive lineman. 0 tech would be head up on the centre, 2 tech head up on the guard and 4 tech head up on the tackle. And odd number means they line up on a shoulder, so a 1 tech would be lined up on the shoulder of the centre (essentially in the A gap) a 3 technique would line up on the outside shoulder of the guard (essentially in the B gap) and a 5 technique would line up on the outside of the tackle.

Most regular 3-4 defenses play 2 gaps (meaning the defensive linemen try to take on blocks and read where the play is going and then react to that gap accordingly) so a regular 3-4 normally would play with a 0 technique (nose tackle) who is head up on the centre, and two ends who will either be 4 or 5 techs. Then you could have outside backers who be known as 9 techs who would play outside where a TE is or would be.

A regular 4-3 defense has each player in the front 7 responsible for a gap, and they linemen are asked to penetrate and control their gap. It would have a 1 technique Nose Tackle who would control an A gap, a 3 technique defensive tackle who would likely control a B gap (unless there a twist or stunt), and then the ends could line up anywhere from 5 tech to 6 tech to 9 tech (outside the tackle to head up on a TE to outside a TE).

The Broncos play a hybrid defense, it is called a 3-4 because there are 3 down linemen, but it more closely resembles a 4-3 defense called an Under front. They have a linemen playing 3 tech (outside shoulder of the guard) which they call an end, a 1 tech (on the shoulder on the centre) which is the nose tackle, and then a 5 tech (outside shoulder of the end on the strong side) which is their other end. Then they have a player they call a linebacker on the same side as the 3 tech who's lined up as a 6 tech (head up on an imaginary TE) and a strong side (TE side) linebacker (Von Miller) who plays a 9 tech (outside of the TE). It's a 1 gap defense.

Hopefully this helps anyone who doesn't know techniques or always wondered the difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense. And now that I'm done typing I'm sure Sam will be able to correct errors that I probably made. Haha