Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cam Robinson

Cam Robinson

I am here to make an argument for Cam Robinson as who we should take if he drops to our pick at 20. I know people have favorite players and it seems like most of the people on this board loves mccaffery or howard. I love those guys too and wouldnt be upset at all if they end up in blue and orange. However; If the broncos are going to take a lineman in the first I think out of the three that everyone is talking about Robinson needs to be the one selected.

Robinson's biggest knock is that he is not athletic enough to play LT. I agree that he is not a ballerina out there but I think he showed at the combine that he has similar athleticism to the other two tackles. I also think Robinson has the most versatility which is a huge plus because realistically our line still has some huge holes. Waton, Paradis, and Leary all have question marks with health so even if you consider those three as locks to start they could easily go down. The other two spots, assuming its LT and LG, are still up in the air. I hope guys step up that we have on the roster but until Sambrilo and Garcia show alittle more I consider those spots holes. Robinson can play 4 positions on the line both tackles and both guards he is a great run blocker and his pass blocking isnt to bad. Most people just see a hole at LT and want the more finesse guys but I want the better football player.

Best case scenario is we draft him and he reaches his full potential and is our LT for the next 10 years. There are scouts who believe he can be as good as Clady in his prime which is high praise. If he cant handle the left side we can shift him to the right and he can be a road grading right tackle like Franklin was for us. And worst case scenario if he cant handle the space on the outside we kick him inside and he would thrive at either guard position.

I am not sold on taking a lineman in the first because it is a weak oline class but if we do go that route I think it needs to be Robinson.

I understand the need for OTs. I agree with it.

Just keep wondering how many players either currently on the roster or potential draft picks can be "just moved inside to OG if they don't work as a OT"? Assuming Leary has one spot locked down. How many players are taking the other OG spot?

At some point we might have to have some confidence in the signings and more importantly the coaches. New systems and coaching will hopefully benefit the tackles the Broncos have on the roster. .

IMO Cam Robinson would be one of several good possibilities at #20. If Christian McCaffrey is available, I think that's who they take.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post

Just keep wondering how many players either currently on the roster or potential draft picks can be "just moved inside to OG if they don't work as a OT"? Assuming Leary has one spot locked down. How many players are taking the other OG spot?

At some point we might have to have some confidence in the signings and more importantly the coaches. New systems and coaching will hopefully benefit the tackles the Broncos have on the roster. .
    The only problem is I don't think they have a true left tackle on the roster. As for the other guard spot, I'm pretty sure Garcia will take that one. That's assuming they put Leary at right guard.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmack93 View Post
    The only problem is I don't think they have a true left tackle on the roster. As for the other guard spot, I'm pretty sure Garcia will take that one. That's assuming they put Leary at right guard.
    Leary has been at LG for Dallas the last four seasons. LG does a lot of pulling in an angle blocked rushing attack. He could get switched to RG, but we'll just wait and see.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I have watched Cam Robinson since he was at West Monroe High School. He my opinion he is very overrated. I will be shocked if he ever becomes a solid NFL tackle.

I don't think his athleticism is the problem, I think he is more than athletic enough to play LT. His technique is his biggest problem. He has the potential to be a top LT for a long time but he needs to embrace the coaching at the next level.

His scouting reports read very similarly to La'el Collins, but I think Robinson is more athletic. He just needs to stop leaning and he'll stop falling on his face.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 03-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouCatFan View Post
    I have watched Cam Robinson since he was at West Monroe High School. He my opinion he is very overrated. I will be shocked if he ever becomes a solid NFL tackle.
    He has to have some talent to be a starting tackle for Alabama. I think he will be solid.

SYRbronco, I couldn't agree with you more. On a rainy cold day, why not watch footage of potential draft worthy left tackles? After watching highlight reels of Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, and Robinson it seems clearly apparent to me who the best of the bunch is. Lamp holds his assignment and is consistent on the line with enough strength and serviceable feet, but isn't a controller. Bolles has fast feet, plays quick, plays with nasty- but rarely wins any matchup with power when engaged and is pretty raw in technique. Ramczyk has great feet, great radius with his arms, and plays a classic balance-power stance that slides well. Unfortunately, he also rarely seems to win with power or great hands against bull rushers and seems to get beat too often with speed rushers on the outside and tries to chase them from behind. But with Cam Robinson, a few things stand out; he more often than not controls the player across from him and takes him out out of the equation. He wins regularly with strength, great hands, and a seemingly dominant "base" underneath him against bull rushes that doesn't move in reverse. I was impressed with his ability to shut down spin moves and speed with fast hands that seem to land hard. He also slides quite well for a big guy on outside rushes. His power on run plays is obvious, and often he is blocking a second player at the next level after putting his first engagement on the ground. I personally think he appears substantially more "refined" and relaxed in his play than any of the others. He also looks like the only one that I would let play left tackle in year one. I believe he can improve his forward balance issues with coaching, especially the new line and offensive coaches we have. He may not be our round 1 answer in this years draft, but if we are truly shopping for a franchise left tackle Cam Robinson seems to me like a solid pick and would very likely fare better than anyone currently on our roster that is being considered an option. We took Ty Sambraillo at #2 figuring it was his job to lose, Cam Robinson looks pretty next level compared to Ty.... Alabama and Saban clearly saw the talent in Cam and trusted him, should Denver do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    IMO Cam Robinson would be one of several good possibilities at #20. If Christian McCaffrey is available, I think that's who they take.
    ^^^^^ This

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshmack93 View Post
    Schofield will be in the running for the other OG spot as well. Garcia may end up playing OC if Paradis can't go.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

A lot of former Alabama starters have disappointed in the NFL. I have watched almost every Alabama game over Robinson's career and the thing I noticed most is that he gets a lot of holding penalties. There is also his off the field issue that thw media seems to have forgotten. Just last year he was arrested for driving with weed and a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Isn't his biggest knock pass protection? Isn't our biggest need a pass protector? He seems flawed for what our needs are. He would be advantageous in the run game but that leaves Siemian/Lynch/Romo very one dimensional and minimize their quarterbacking skills would it not?

I see some draft analysts projecting Robinson as a RT or guard.

Just for comparison, here is Ryan Clady's draft profile on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ryan-clady?id=746

Negatives: Lacks lower-body strength to handle the bull rush effectively and, even though he plays at a good pad level, he will get up on his heels and is susceptible to getting walked back into the pocket when he does...Intelligent player with good vision, but he has had a few mental lapses on the field that have produced costly penalties...Must show better work habits in the weight room and needs to be monitored...His lack of ideal leg drive prevents him from getting great movement on drive blocks and he fails to show enough power to root out more physical defenders...Gets caught up in the battle in the trenches, trying to face up and stone the defender, rather than slide back and protect the pocket...Has quick feet, but when he loses on a counter move and the edge rusher gets free, he is slow to recover...Might be a better fit at right tackle, as he has problems handling fast movement when on an island; will sometimes aim high when coming out of his stance and the result is that an edge rusher can slip under his blocks...Could be a more effective drive blocker if he can add and maintain at least 20 pounds on his frame...Sometimes opens his hips a little too much when attempting to anchor.
    I really don't see why a player that started 3 seasons at LT for Alabama, built like an OT (6'6", 322, 35 1/2" arms), should not get a shot at playing LT in the NFL.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I see some draft analysts projecting Robinson as a RT or guard.

Just for comparison, here is Ryan Clady's draft profile on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ryan-clady?id=746

I really don't see why a player that started 3 seasons at LT for Alabama, built like an OT (6'6", 322, 35 1/2" arms), should not get a shot at playing LT in the NFL.
    I dont disagree, but I see it like Jack Conklin last year. Good LT in college, who kicked over to the right side and dominated. Cam has some technique issues to work out, and then he can get his shot at LT.