• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

The "Breaking News" Epidemic

Like most other "exaggerated" terms, Breaking News has lost much of its glow. At one time, it was an exciting, "can't miss" tactic that made us stop in our tracks. And sometimes I still find my heart pumping when I see it on screen, although it depends on what station and in what context.

True enough, it is breaking news if it is "new" news. It just happened.....so without over-analyzing, it is sort of an accurate label. BUT we all know that it is usually meant to catch our attention, and make us stop to watch.

Some shows are a bit pathetic in the way they overuse the phrase. It becomes a bit like crying wolf, as some of us no longer believe it will be anything more than a small event. And even in sports, like NFL Network, sometimes the blurb on the bottom of the screen is not quite as new as they try to lead us to believe. I see "Breaking News", but I know the story.

But yes, once upon a time it was a big deal whenever I saw it show up. Just like all the huge stories in our lives, when we first get a glance at it, it has the propensity to charge us up. We are shocked or surprised or even stunned. But nowadays, with the sometimes "over dramatic/ratings based" injections of news, we can't help but get a little immune to the process.

Then again, I am as guilty as them.....as I can't resist a little drama now and again. Plus it is unfortunate but mostly true, that we humans can't seem to look away at the sign of an accident or something abnormal. It's in our DNA I believe.
  • Lumiere
    All-Time Great
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Like most other "exaggerated" terms, Breaking News has lost much of its glow. At one time, it was an exciting, "can't miss" tactic that made us stop in our tracks. And sometimes I still find my heart pumping when I see it on screen, although it depends on what station and in what context.

True enough, it is breaking news if it is "new" news. It just happened.....so without over-analyzing, it is sort of an accurate label. BUT we all know that it is usually meant to catch our attention, and make us stop to watch.

Some shows are a bit pathetic in the way they overuse the phrase. It becomes a bit like crying wolf, as some of us no longer believe it will be anything more than a small event. And even in sports, like NFL Network, sometimes the blurb on the bottom of the screen is not quite as new as they try to lead us to believe. I see "Breaking News", but I know the story.

But yes, once upon a time it was a big deal whenever I saw it show up. Just like all the huge stories in our lives, when we first get a glance at it, it has the propensity to charge us up. We are shocked or surprised or even stunned. But nowadays, with the sometimes "over dramatic/ratings based" injections of news, we can't help but get a little immune to the process.

Then again, I am as guilty as them.....as I can't resist a little drama now and again. Plus it is unfortunate but mostly true, that we humans can't seem to look away at the sign of an accident or something abnormal. It's in our DNA I believe.
    It's in our DNA for sure. But, it's the manufactured drama that irritates me; the completely bogus headlines or scripted nonsense on TV. Take "reality TV" - let's pick a show at random......um...Naked and Afraid. So, they'll have a girl who talks of hating authority, then pair her with a type-A personality cop.

Hey, wow - they don't get along during difficult circumstances...I didn't see that coming. :brick:
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      It's in our DNA for sure. But, it's the manufactured drama that irritates me; the completely bogus headlines or scripted nonsense on TV. Take "reality TV" - let's pick a show at random......um...Naked and Afraid. So, they'll have a girl who talks of hating authority, then pair her with a type-A personality cop.

Hey, wow - they don't get along during difficult circumstances...I didn't see that coming. :brick:
      So being naked wasn't "enough in common"?

But yes, like those stories we hear that certain "animal" shows staged events so that the poor, sweet animal has no chance to get away from a hungry, ferocious tiger. Sad stuff.

Comment

• Lumiere
        All-Time Great
        • Jan 2011

So being naked wasn't "enough in common"?

But yes, like those stories we hear that certain "animal" shows staged events so that the poor, sweet animal has no chance to get away from a hungry, ferocious tiger. Sad stuff.
        Now you're just stripping the show down bare.
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Now you're just stripping the show down bare.
          There is something very raw in what you say!

I could never go on that show....I'd be constantly walking into trees and stepping on sharp objects. Lets just say I might be focussed on the wrong thing.:nono:

Comment

• Spice 1
            Football Immortal
            • Sep 2004

There is something very raw in what you say!

I could never go on that show....I'd be constantly walking into trees and stepping on sharp objects. Lets just say I might be focussed on the wrong thing.:nono:
            Your survival item would be duct tape.

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
              Your survival item would be duct tape.
              I may be misinterpreting your suggestion.....because I am in pain just thinking about what I might use it for!

Comment

• Spice 1
                Football Immortal
                • Sep 2004

I may be misinterpreting your suggestion.....because I am in pain just thinking about what I might use it for!
                No, you got it. lol.

If I were on that show, I would just bring a prophylactic as my survival tool. Probably be worth it just to see the reaction. Then when she starts complaining about it, I'd just demonstrate how you can use it to carry water.

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

No, you got it. lol.

If I were on that show, I would just bring a prophylactic as my survival tool. Probably be worth it just to see the reaction. Then when she starts complaining about it, I'd just demonstrate how you can use it to carry water.
                  You are so smart!!! Might be a little tough explaining to the wife, but has multiple purposes, including "a balloon" if celebrations are in order, or a container for small fish if you have too much food at the moment, or when you need something "stretchy".

The concept of married individuals sleeping naked with a stranger does make things a little unusual.

Comment

• EddieMac
                    Canuck Mod, eh!
                    • Feb 2004

Isn't all news " breaking news"
                    News is defined as:

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

So really the word breaking is that it is breaking up something we are already watching to report something new.... which is news.

I hate catch phrases.

Anything involving "gate"
                    we’re getting word
                    could not be reached for comment
                    police are investigating
                    sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
                      Football Immortal
                      • Sep 2004

You are so smart!!! Might be a little tough explaining to the wife, but has multiple purposes, including "a balloon" if celebrations are in order, or a container for small fish if you have too much food at the moment, or when you need something "stretchy".

The concept of married individuals sleeping naked with a stranger does make things a little unusual.
                      Yep. Floatation device, because you know they're going to make you cross an alligator infested river during the extraction.

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                      News is defined as:

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

So really the word breaking is that it is breaking up something we are already watching to report something new.... which is news.

I hate catch phrases.

we’re getting word
                      police are investigating
                      "police are investigating" lol. Always liked that one.

I also like when there's a blizzard going on, and they advise people to stay off the roads.

Comment

• EddieMac
                        Canuck Mod, eh!
                        • Feb 2004

Yep. Floatation device, because you know they're going to make you cross an alligator infested river during the extraction.

"police are investigating" lol. Always liked that one.

I also like when there's a blizzard going on, and they advise people to stay off the roads.
                        HahA. I know. What else are they doing? Watching the news?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Jaws
                          The Immortal Madam Chomp
                          • Oct 2004

I don't much like the breaking news from London right now

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                            I don't much like the breaking news from London right now
                            Sorry Jawsie, that is tragic news. That is the kind of breaking news we do not want to hear about.

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              News is defined as:

I hate catch phrases.

we’re getting word
                              police are investigating
                              True enough, but I would argue that "sensationalized" breaking news is an aspect of today's media that is over used and purposely aimed to increase viewership.....which of course, is pretty much the way of the land these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X