Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time to use Von Miller like Mecklenberg?

With the new defensive staff in position, is it time to employ Miller much like Joe Collier did with Karl Mecklenberg?

I remember Mecklenberg playing up to 7 positions along the line and backer positions. Even played a little nose tackle at one point.

I believe by moving Miller around, offenses would struggle to game plan against him and would increase his effectiveness. Opponents would have to completely change up protection schemes, possibly freeing up other players to make plays.

It worked with Meck', why not with Miller?

I'm just grateful Von Miller has stayed as healthy as he has. Don't fix what's not broken.
    I believe.

One of Miller's big advantages are his speed around the corner, I'm not sure he'd have the same effectiveness lining up inside and relying more on power. Stunts and twists are different, but lining him up inside I think takes away from what he does best. I could be 100% wrong on that, but that's just my initial thought.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Miller at NT isn't likely to work.

Moving him around might be a good idea along the linebacker positions. Inside with the DL covering up both guards and the center might be a good idea.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    With the new defensive staff in position, is it time to employ Miller much like Joe Collier did with Karl Mecklenberg?

I remember Mecklenberg playing up to 7 positions along the line and backer positions. Even played a little nose tackle at one point.

I believe by moving Miller around, offenses would struggle to game plan against him and would increase his effectiveness. Opponents would have to completely change up protection schemes, possibly freeing up other players to make plays.

The language I've been hearing from Joseph in interviews seems that this may be a possibility. I personally feel Von would break the sack record if we were more creative with him. It would allow Von to turn loose more and assault various O linemen without them getting into any kind of rhythm, while keeping Von excited and hungry for each play. Von was doubled up so much last year and that can be very draining and I'm sure deflating. You play a little different when you go up against the same 1 or 2 guys all the time, it's more of a chess match where your a little more patient to set up your opponent. But I think trying to overcome the double teams has even made him better, which if now used in a more creative way we could finally see Von win a Defensive MVP (even with a healthy JJ Watt)!
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

This is a recipe for disaster. Every year his production falls later in the season. You could argue as to the cause of that, but I think the wear and tear adds up on him. So why would you put him at ILB where he will face more run blockers and take big RBs head on?

Von's limited success as a run stopper is when RBs break outside and he can run them down. He needs space to either rush the pass or run down RBs. Moving him anywhere other than the edge only ensures he will encounter more injuries and make double teams easier to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    This is a recipe for disaster. Every year his production falls later in the season. You could argue as to the cause of that, but I think the wear and tear adds up on him. So why would you put him at ILB where he will face more run blockers and take big RBs head on?

Von's limited success as a run stopper is when RBs break outside and he can run them down. He needs space to either rush the pass or run down RBs. Moving him anywhere other than the edge only ensures he will encounter more injuries and make double teams easier to execute.
    You must've not have been watching the season for winning Super Bowl 50.

Von was at his best at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    You must've not have been watching the season for winning Super Bowl 50.

Von was at his best at the end of the season.
    Look a thing his regular season stats. He always is more productive in September and October than he is in November and December.

And honestly, other than his '15 playoff games against NE and Carolina, he has been pretty lackluster in his playoff career.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post

It would be worth a try. But is Miller REALLY as versatile as Meck was? Karl was one of the most Multitalented Defensive players in NFL history. Not to sure how Miller would do in that kind of role. Worth a shot in Preseason I guess.
    oh YEAH?

I say, experiment during the preseason. If it produces results go with it. If not, Miller stays where he is. No harm, no foul.

On passing downs, Von Miller attracts extra blockers. Even then he has more space in which to operate outside than if he were lined up inside. There are Stunts and Twists where he lines up outside and goes inside. I guess you could line him up inside and always send him outside, but that's pretty easy to scout.

On 3rd & long when Denver uses that split look with two down linemen and two or three standup rushers, they will have complimentary personnel (including a defender with Draw responsibility) to take advantage of the extra attention Von receives. They'll have their best pass rushers, but should always designate a defender or two with Draw responsibility.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

One thing to consider is when Dan Reeves drafted Meck in the 12th (last round) I remember Reeves saying that it was because Meck had the highest Wonderlic score of anyone in the draft that year. It takes a pretty smart person to be able to learn and recall everything needed to play all 7 defensive front positions.

IMO, Von is a reaction player more than a cerebral player and I'd generally would prefer him to use his instincts rather than have to think about playing a variety of positions. Also consider that when Meck played all 7 positions it required every other player in the front 7 to learn at least one other position.

Meck was also bigger than Von and it takes a really special player to be able to go from NT one play to covering RBs downfield on the next. Not sure Von can handle playing NT.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    One thing to consider is when Dan Reeves drafted Meck in the 12th (last round) I remember Reeves saying that it was because Meck had the highest Wonderlic score of anyone in the draft that year. It takes a pretty smart person to be able to learn and recall everything needed to play all 7 defensive front positions.

IMO, Von is a reaction player more than a cerebral player and I'd generally would prefer him to use his instincts rather than have to think about playing a variety of positions. Also consider that when Meck played all 7 positions it required every other player in the front 7 to learn at least one other position.

Meck was also bigger than Von and it takes a really special player to be able to go from NT one play to covering RBs downfield on the next. Not sure Von can handle playing NT.
    Not to mention that when Mecklenburg played players were smaller, an offensive lineman was closer to the 270-280 range rather than the 310-320 range they are now.

Not too mention how much of a bigger role nickel and dime defenses play in today's games, the front 7 is really a front 5 in passing situations. And over the years Miller has been lined up in all 5 of those positions. Jack Del Rio moved him to the MLB position in some looks during 2012. And then in 2015 Wade Phillips had a defensive alignment where he lined Ware and Miller up both as stand up 3 techniques, it was effective early but they only ran a double twist out of it (the players lined up outside would shoot inside and rush the inside gaps and Miller and Ware would twist outside and rush C gaps. Surprised they never ran an inside twist with Miller and Ware out of that, but they never showed it.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

As long as he is healthy. That is all that matters! Von is where he is at!
    MAY DAY MAY DAY!

Von and Meck were two different people. Von is shiftier and can get underneath a player to get to the QB. Meck was a "Bull" and could just knock you over. I could see Von moving inside on 1st or 2nd and short to play the run or drop into coverage, but I can not see him moving into the middle. Meck's size made him able to play at NT. If they want to move him around during preseason to experiment with it, could be interesting.