Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    6,970

    So what do we do with all this salary-cap space now?

    Since Tony Romo has decided to retire and Isll talks of him coming to Denver can be put to rest, what do we do with all this salary-cap space now?

    Do the Broncos make a trade for Jason peters or Joe Thomas finally? Even though we have Domata Peko do we still pursue a trade for Sheldon Richardson?

    I keep hearing about John Elway having a big move up his sleeve well does anybody have any idea at this point with this big move can be?

    There's got to be something in the works with all this free space they have under the cap.

    Could it really be that they are waiting to see the post June 1 cuts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,433
    If I had to guess, we will sign King Dunlap and re-Sign Vance Walker to short term deals. I'd like to make a run at Hankins, but he likely end up back in NY.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    If I had to guess, we will sign King Dunlap and re-Sign Vance Walker to short term deals. I'd like to make a run at Hankins, but he likely end up back in NY.
    This is what I was thinking

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    203
    I feel like if Denver really wanted King Dunlap he would already be here. Mike McCoy knows him well as a player.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Since Tony Romo has decided to retire and Isll talks of him coming to Denver can be put to rest, what do we do with all this salary-cap space now?

    Do the Broncos make a trade for Jason peters or Joe Thomas finally? Even though we have Domata Peko do we still pursue a trade for Sheldon Richardson?

    I keep hearing about John Elway having a big move up his sleeve well does anybody have any idea at this point with this big move can be?

    There's got to be something in the works with all this free space they have under the cap.

    Could it really be that they are waiting to see the post June 1 cuts?
    I don't think they have much cap space left.....


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    6,970
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    If I had to guess, we will sign King Dunlap and re-Sign Vance Walker to short term deals. I'd like to make a run at Hankins, but he likely end up back in NY.
    I could see that happening as well but are the Cleveland Browns still willing to take Shaq Barrett In return if they were to consider trading Joe Thomas?

    If the reports are true and Thomas wants to be traded, then why not trade him to the Denver Broncos in return for Shaq Barrett. I'd say that it is necessary and a win win for both sides.

    The reason I believe this to be the case is because this draft is loaded with young hybrid defense event/outside linebackers/edge rushers that the Broncos could uncover in an attempt to find a replacement for Barrett.

    Sure the Browns could go the sam route (draft) but they'd have to take the time to develop young rookie when with they really are looking for somebody that can come in and start. It just makes more sense to trade Joe Thomas for Shaq Barrett and we now have the funds to do so.

    Not only that but the Browns are also shopping around the number 12 pic in this aprils draft. I'd say that's the perfect position if we wanted to draft Christian McCafferrey.

    The Broncos could actually sweeten the deal by offerring Barrett, a swap of the first round picks this year, perhaps a first next year and a third this year.

    Would that be enough to move up eight spots and acquire Joe Thomas at the same time?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,062
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I don't think they have much cap space left.....
    Isn't it about $9 million?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    6,970
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Isn't it about $9 million?
    But the DT clause still remains as well if they can do it without mortgaging the future.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I could see that happening as well but are the Cleveland Browns still willing to take Shaq Barrett In return if they were to consider trading Joe Thomas?

    If the reports are true and Thomas wants to be traded, then why not trade him to the Denver Broncos in return for Shaq Barrett. I'd say that it is necessary and a win win for both sides.

    The reason I believe this to be the case is because this draft is loaded with young hybrid defense event/outside linebackers/edge rushers that the Broncos could uncover in an attempt to find a replacement for Barrett.

    Sure the Browns could go the sam route (draft) but they'd have to take the time to develop young rookie when with they really are looking for somebody that can come in and start. It just makes more sense to trade Joe Thomas for Shaq Barrett and we now have the funds to do so.

    Not only that but the Browns are also shopping around the number 12 pic in this aprils draft. I'd say that's the perfect position if we wanted to draft Christian McCafferrey.

    The Broncos could actually sweeten the deal by offerring Barrett, a swap of the first round picks this year, perhaps a first next year and a third this year.

    Would that be enough to move up eight spots and acquire Joe Thomas at the same time?
    Would Denver want to move Shaq? That would leave only Von and Ray as guys with big experience. Let's say one gets hurt, and our rotation would suffer. They'd both be worn down. I think the ship has sailed on Thomas.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    6,970
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Would Denver want to move Shaq? That would leave only Von and Ray as guys with big experience. Let's say one gets hurt, and our rotation would suffer. They'd both be worn down. I think the ship has sailed on Thomas.


    Haha I covered that in the post you quoted.

    The reason I believe this to be the case is because this draft is loaded with young hybrid defense ends/outside linebackers/edge rushers that the Broncos could uncover in an attempt to find a replacement for Barrett.

    Sure the Browns could go the same route and draft their own but they'd have to take the time to develop a young rookie when with they really are looking for somebody that can come in and start. It just makes more sense to trade Joe Thomas for Shaq Barrett and we now have the funds to do so.
    We need to get over this Shaq Barrett fixation because you know inevitable is that Shaq is going to eventually want to start somewhere and he will leave via free agency.

    So if he can help land Joe Thomas this year than that's the route we need to go.

    Plus there also plenty of talented edge rushers in this years draft. The browns don't want to develop a project, they want somebody that they can insert and start right now.

    Unlike the Broncos have time to develop a young guy behind Von Miller Shane Ray and Kasim Edibali just as they did with Ray behind Ware, Miller and Barrett.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,713
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Isn't it about $9 million?
    don't they need about $5m of that for the rookies?


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,582
    According to Mike Klis, this is the current cap situation:

    http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...romo/428462570

    The Broncos have roughly $16.5 million available in cap space and roughly $7 million of that is set aside to sign their draft picks.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,062
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    don't they need about $5m of that for the rookies?
    See post #12.

    $16,338,757 (top 51 cap space) - $7,305,235 (Draft Pool Cap) = $9,033,522 (Cap Space Top 51 + Pool)

    So, the ballpark figure would appear to be c. $9 million if spotrac.com is to be trusted.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Haha I covered that in the post you quoted.



    We need to get over this Shaq Barrett fixation because you know inevitable is that Shaq is going to eventually want to start somewhere and he will leave via free agency.

    So if he can help land Joe Thomas this year than that's the route we need to go.

    Plus there also plenty of talented edge rushers in this years draft. The browns don't want to develop a project, they want somebody that they can insert and start right now.

    Unlike the Broncos have time to develop a young guy behind Von Miller Shane Ray and Kasim Edibali just as they did with Ray behind Ware, Miller and Barrett.
    Shaq Barrett is an RFA next year.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Posts
    733
    I like the Spotrac site for the cap information - usually pretty good (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/). It does shoe the estimated rookie (draft costs and pulls that in with the top 51 projection and the all players). It does show us with 9M in cap space as discussed. Unfortunately that won't get us a Thomas/Peters type (just gets one year of Richardson). But, we could shift some contracts around still as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •