• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    The tackle class is the weakest in years.
    I keep telling these guys with exception to Ramczyk, all I see are Sambralio type prospects. We already have one!

Comment

• BroncoooJohnson
      Playmaker
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
      I keep telling these guys with exception to Ramczyk, all I see are Sambralio type prospects. We already have one!
      I like Bolles more than Ramczyk for sure. Bolles has never been injured, and is athletic, strong and tough as nails. He just needs to add a good 10 pounds, but he's only been playing for two years, so I'm not worried about that.
      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

• champ&dreallday
        Playmaker
        • Sep 2007

Weakest in possibly decades from what the analysts are saying.

Comment

• samparnell
          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
          • Nov 2007

Ty Sambrailo was drafted in 2015 along with twenty-one other Tackles. There are a few successful Tackles from that group, but some of them are Guards including the first one picked, Brandon Scherff. Some haven't done so well (so far) like Ereck Flowers and Cedric Ogubehi. The jury is still out on a lot of these guys including Ty.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Orangecrush21
            Practice Squad
            • Apr 2016

What are the actual odds we pick Bolles? From what I understand, he isn't even a scheme fit

Comment

• samparnell
              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
              • Nov 2007

It may seem that way, but we won't know for sure for a few more years.

The 2016 Tackle group looks good especially at the top and we'll see how they progress. The 2015 Tackle class has a few guys doing well, but some are playing Guard and others are struggling. Not as many were drafted in 2014 as were in '15 and '16, but there are some bright spots like Taylor Lewan and Justin Britt. The 2013 Tackle class has four years experience now, and it doesn't look like that group has really lived up to its billing before their draft.

Expectations for the 2017 Tackle class are low, but maybe they will surprise.

Comment

• Rich_C
                Captain
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Ty Sambrailo was drafted in 2015 along with twenty-one other Tackles. There are a few successful Tackles from that group, but some of them are Guards including the first one picked, Brandon Scherff. Some haven't done so well (so far) like Ereck Flowers and Cedric Ogubehi. The jury is still out on a lot of these guys including Ty.
                While I will concede that we are not quite there yet where we can clearly define Ty and who he truly is as a player....we are pretty close. At some point the narrative needs to change from "he just needs time to develop because he's been hurt" to "he is hurt all the time and even if he could develop he cannot stay healthy long enough to develop"....now that he is one full season almost away from his major injury I am hoping that this off-season he setup a tent in his local gym's weight room. Ultimately his performance this season will determine if strength truly was the issue or if it was his technique....and at this point he has had enough exposure to NFL coaches that if he cannot progress technique-wise he likely wont...

Comment

• samparnell
                  Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                  While I will concede that we are not quite there yet where we can clearly define Ty and who he truly is as a player....we are pretty close. At some point the narrative needs to change from "he just needs time to develop because he's been hurt" to "he is hurt all the time and even if he could develop he cannot stay healthy long enough to develop"....now that he is one full season almost away from his major injury I am hoping that this off-season he setup a tent in his local gym's weight room. Ultimately his performance this season will determine if strength truly was the issue or if it was his technique....and at this point he has had enough exposure to NFL coaches that if he cannot progress technique-wise he likely wont...
                  Jury out, or jury in?

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                    Super Moderator
                    • Dec 2008

You keep saying it, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. Someone also said Sambrailo would be the top tackle in this class, and several people who know more about o-line than me had some great replies to that.

Sambrailo is/was a zone system tackle, guys like Robinson are true angle blocking power tackles, they compare nothing alike. If anything Robinson compares more to Orlando Franklin than Sambrailo.

And just because you feel it's a weak tackle class, doesn't mean the Broncos shouldn't draft one, possibly early so they get the best Sambrailo...

Comment

• samparnell
                      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      You keep saying it, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. Someone also said Sambrailo would be the top tackle in this class, and several people who know more about o-line than me had some great replies to that.

Sambrailo is/was a zone system tackle, guys like Robinson are true angle blocking power tackles, they compare nothing alike. If anything Robinson compares more to Orlando Franklin than Sambrailo.

And just because you feel it's a weak tackle class, doesn't mean the Broncos shouldn't draft one, possibly early so they get the best Sambrailo...
                      That's right. More angle blocking in the rushing attack is expected. The big question about any of the current O-Linemen is can they down block?

You compare Cam Robinson to Orlando Franklin who was a crushing down blocker from the Right Tackle spot and, of course, he was moved to Left Guard.

I hope the Broncos draft an Offensive Tackle. There are about seven guys any one of which I wouldn't mind.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

That's right. More angle blocking in the rushing attack is expected. The big question about any of the current O-Linemen is can they down block?

You compare Cam Robinson to Orlando Franklin who was a crushing down blocker from the Right Tackle spot and, of course, he was moved to Left Guard.

I hope the Broncos draft an Offensive Tackle. There are about seven guys any one of which I wouldn't mind.
                        I only make that comparison because in watching Robinson play he has the same nastiness and brute force elements that Franklin does as well. I'm not sure where his best position in the NFL will be, but I'd be happy with Denver finding out.

Comment

• Rich_C
                          Captain
                          • Aug 2012

Jury out, or jury in?
                          obviously this is just my opinion but at this point the initial chatter from the jury on Ty is not great. Ultimately though based on the severity of his injury you need to see if a full season in the weight room can allow him to progress and make those massive steps he needs to take this season. I also think that most of this narrative of his strength issues etc. not only fits into what Kubiak was saying about Ty but also fits into his pre-draft scouting report. I'd likely guess that we will know where he falls by mid-season or so.....

Comment

• samparnell
                            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                            obviously this is just my opinion but at this point the initial chatter from the jury on Ty is not great. Ultimately though based on the severity of his injury you need to see if a full season in the weight room can allow him to progress and make those massive steps he needs to take this season. I also think that most of this narrative of his strength issues etc. not only fits into what Kubiak was saying about Ty but also fits into his pre-draft scouting report. I'd likely guess that we will know where he falls by mid-season or so.....
                            I'm sorry. All I have is out or in.

Comment

• Rich_C
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2012

I'm sorry. All I have is out or in.
                              IMO- he'll be out.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                                Football Immortal
                                • Dec 2012

Jury out, or jury in?
                                Jury is out, still.
                                There have been many OL/OT that have taken 2-3, sometimes even more years before they become what they ultimately are/were. Thinking of an example is Evan Mathis, now on his 5th team; it took him until 2013 to be selected to the pro bowl, in his first 6 years he only had 22 starts and played for 3 teams before finally having a solid career with the Eagles.

Eric Fisher was a 1st pick in the draft in 2013, he wasn't looking very good in his second season and then got replaced at LT by ... Donald Stephenson in his 3rd season; he did get that job back a few games later in the season. Now, with a new long term contract it looks like he will be fine?

Andre Smith, a first round pick by the Bengals in 2009 had a hard time staying healthy his first 2 seasons but started 14 games his 3rd season with a "solid" performance. He has not had any all-pro/pro-bowl awards but PFF did name him to their all-pro team in 2012 - his 4th year.

There is probably more examples of OL taking a couple years to be what they ultimately are?

I think they got to give Ty this season to prove, first that he can stay healthy and then that he can compete for a starting job somewhere on the line; I hope at LT where he played at the beginning of his rookie season and where we need someone to step up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X