Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this a trade out of the first round year?

When I say trade out of the first I don't mean trading back into the very top of the 2nd round to pick up some more mid-round picks, I mean maybe getting a 3rd or 4th this year and picking up a 1st rounder next year.

This draft seems to be better on defense, and on defense the only immediate holes we could potentially fill would be another ILB next to Marshall and maybe a guy who could play 5 tech.

On offense it's clear we could use a stud LT, but this draft doesn't seem to have a slam dunk prospect at the position. At TE we still have some interesting young guys, although it wouldn't shock me if we looked at a TE in rd 1.

I could see a team falling in love with a defensive player like Jabril Peppers and wanting to snag him at 20. There could be a team wanting to get a QB at that spot as well.

I get the feeling given the makeup of our team and where the strength of this draft lies that it could be possible that we leverage our first rounder this year into a later pick in this draft and a first rounder the following year.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I think the more realistic move would be what you were talking about NOT doing. Maybe someone in the top of the 2nd round wants to trade back in.

Take their 2nd and whatever else makes sense.

If we really like LAMP, I think he'll be there at the top of the 2nd. And if he isn't there, someone comparable will be and we'd gain another pick somewhere else.

It seems that every draft class is getting weaker and weaker, especially at the OL and Qb positions because of the spread system. I wouldn't want to base my first round pick based on need, but if the guy that we wanted isn't there, I would definitely consider trading out, stockpile on picks, and maybe trade one of those for a player on someone else's roster, like Sheldon Richardson or a Joe Staley.
    Last edited by Bterres105; 04-09-2017 at 04:15 PM.

I think you make that determination when it's your turn on the clock. If there's a player who fills a need and is your BPA or close to them, you make the pick. If the player you really want will be there in a few picks and you can get good value, trade back.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

I would love to be in that war room during the draft . Just to see and hear all the commotion. I think it would be very interesting .

I am not sure a drafted OLinemen would be ready to start immediately, I wouldn't mind a very good/great defensive person dropping to #20. I've seen some Mock Drafts showing Rueben Foster going as late as #24. If that were to happen, I think we pivot on plan A and go with a plan B, kinda like we did with Shane Ray. I think the LT can be picked up by trading a next year pick for a veteran LT that can make an immediately impact.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

The year we drafted Wolfe and traded down there was still a ton of talent in positions we could have used on the board. I guess we really wanted Wolfe above everyone else and felt we could get him the early 2nd but not the late 2nd. So unless there is a guy that could go early 2nd that we really like above all the guys in the mid to first round I cant see us passing up on all the talent that is potentially on the board. Question is who could that player be?

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    When I say trade out of the first I don't mean trading back into the very top of the 2nd round to pick up some more mid-round picks, I mean maybe getting a 3rd or 4th this year and picking up a 1st rounder next year.

This draft seems to be better on defense, and on defense the only immediate holes we could potentially fill would be another ILB next to Marshall and maybe a guy who could play 5 tech.

On offense it's clear we could use a stud LT, but this draft doesn't seem to have a slam dunk prospect at the position. At TE we still have some interesting young guys, although it wouldn't shock me if we looked at a TE in rd 1.

I could see a team falling in love with a defensive player like Jabril Peppers and wanting to snag him at 20. There could be a team wanting to get a QB at that spot as well.

I get the feeling given the makeup of our team and where the strength of this draft lies that it could be possible that we leverage our first rounder this year into a later pick in this draft and a first rounder the following year.

I would not be opposed because this draft is loaded with tight ends and some pretty excellent defenders so why wouldn't John Elway consider trading out of the first round picking up a extra first round or for next year and stockpile with more defenders now.

Based on what John Elway has said "this team is not going to ignore their defense" and with this draft be in as deep as it is with the defenders I would not be oppose to the idea of trading out of the first round now if it meant to get a first next year.

Next year there Will be some pretty hot prospects at quarterback and if Trevor Simeon or Paxton lynch don't work out and we are still searching for a quarterback,two first round picks might be good enough to land somebody such as
    Josh Allen or Josh Rosen if we needed to go that route.

I think all 3 options are very possible this year. Staying put at 20, trading back, and even trading up.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by kingelway7 View Post
    I think all 3 options are very possible this year. Staying put at 20, trading back, and even trading up.
    If I had to guess. I would say we do one of four things. Trade up. Stay put. Trade back. Or trade our first straight up for a top player.

I've been thinking about this the last couple days and I've come to the conclusion that if the Broncos are truly aiming for a left tackle in the draft (which I don't believe they are) but if they are it would make more sense to trade that number 20 pick in the first round for somebody like Joe Staley or maybe even a second round pick for somebody like Jason peters.

The reason I say this is because they're not going to find a left tackle in this draft as good as any one of the guys that I've just mentioned.

Not only that but the offensive line talent in this draft, I feel is very limited and what I mean by that is l, if Ty Sambrailo was in this draft right now with these guys, Ty Sambrailo will most likely be considered one of the top offensive lineman in the bunch. Not very appealing!

Now do I believe that Joe Staley is worth our number 20 pic? No I do not, not by any means however the Broncos could make this trade if they were able to stockpile draft picks in the second and third rounds which means they could stockpile on a whole lot more defensive talent or even a high draft pick next season if not a first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I've been thinking about this the last couple days and I've come to the conclusion that if the Broncos are truly aiming for a left tackle in the draft (which I don't believe they are) but if they are it would make more sense to trade that number 20 pick in the first round for somebody like Joe Staley or maybe even a second round pick for somebody like Jason peters.

The reason I say this is because they're not going to find a left tackle in this draft as good as any one of the guys that I've just mentioned.

Not only that but the offensive line talent in this draft, I feel is very limited and what I mean by that is l, if Ty Sambrailo was in this draft right now with these guys, Ty Sambrailo will most likely be considered one of the top offensive lineman in the bunch. Not very appealing!

Now do I believe that Joe Staley is worth our number 20 pic? No I do not, not by any means however the Broncos could make this trade if they were able to stockpile draft picks in the second and third rounds which means they could stockpile on a whole lot more defensive talent or even a high draft pick next season if not a first.
    Never understood the desire for Joe staley is 32 and hasn't made an AP team since 2013. 2016 was his worst season. Some call that an off year but at 32 you can consider it the beginning of the end. He has less trade value than Peters at 35. Both of those are "now" moves and neither of them improve our offense to a SB caliber. The only way this team should trade high draft picks for older vets is if its a player that will put the defense over top to where it can shut out teams so we can grind out a SB run im talking a player that puts the defense on the 00 ravens level and there is nobody on the market that good I aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Next year there Will be some pretty hot prospects at quarterback and if Trevor Simeon or Paxton lynch don't work out and we are still searching for a quarterback ,two first round picks might be good enough to land somebody such as
    Josh Allen or Josh Rosen if we needed to go that route.
    Been thinking this way for a couple of months Sam. There is one other way we could get the ammo to have that high 1st round pick next year, trade an existing player this year or next. I don't know much about Rosen, but I've seen Allen play a couple of times, he Reminds me a little of Elway in his Stanford days. He'll sell out and do or try anything to win a game. Barring injury I'd love to see him in a Bronco uniform next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    If I had to guess. I would say we do one of four things. Trade up. Stay put. Trade back. Or trade our first straight up for a top player.
    You forgot the 5th option (which has been done a few times) don't get our pick in in time, allow the clock to expire, several teams jump in and make their picks and then when you do finally get your pick, argue with them over whether they were the 20th pick or the 22nd pick.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    You forgot the 5th option (which has been done a few times) don't get our pick in in time, allow the clock to expire, several teams jump in and make their picks and then when you do finally get your pick, argue with them over whether they were the 20th pick or the 22nd pick.
    You got me there. Didn't think through all of my options.