Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why are there so many idiots online ?

Are there just more stupid people in the world then I imagine or do you just get stupid kids finding their way online.

Firstly, this forum is great and there are many interesting discussions.

I'm talking about the comments you get on youtube, or on nfl.com, or articles (sport or news) when there is a 'have your say' section for people to post comments in.

90% of these comments are just moronic. Either insults or people saying childish things or just making stupid statements. Sometimes you find an intelligent comment but they are few and far between.

It would be fantastic if these comment sections were used to have proper interesting discussions, instead of the rubbish you get on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Are there just more stupid people in the world then I imagine or do you just get stupid kids finding their way online.

I'm talking about the comments you get on youtube, or on nfl.com, or articles (sport or news) when there is a 'have your say' section for people to post comments in.

90% of these comments are just moronic. Either insults or people saying childish things or just making stupid statements. Sometimes you find an intelligent comment but they are few and far between.

It would be fantastic if these comment sections were used to have proper interesting discussions, instead of the rubbish you get on them.
    I usually don't go into the comments sections. They frustrate me and since I refuse to get drawn into it, I avoid them. I have seen some decent conversations, though.

I don't think the people are stupid. Maybe showing frustration because their lives aren't what they want? It's their way to be "important" for a few seconds? Do things online that they can't do in RL?

You're right that this is a great forum. Really. We have great members and even in heated discussions, respect is shown.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I usually don't go into the comments sections. They frustrate me and since I refuse to get drawn into it, I avoid them. I have seen some decent conversations, though.

I don't think the people are stupid. Maybe showing frustration because their lives aren't what they want? It's their way to be "important" for a few seconds? Do things online that they can't do in RL?

You're right that this is a great forum. Really. We have great members and even in heated discussions, respect is shown.
    Yea this board is really cool.

I should have added twitter comments to my list. I don't use twitter much but sometimes I click on a comment a sportsman has made that sounds interesting and all the replies are just moronic people trolling and being abusive.

Do some people really have nothing better to do....................

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Yea this board is really cool.

I should have added twitter comments to my list. I don't use twitter much but sometimes I click on a comment a sportsman has made that sounds interesting and all the replies are just moronic people trolling and being abusive.

Do some people really have nothing better to do....................
    yes, i think a lot of people have nothing better to do as far as the stupid comments go. I think a lot of time it's just to bait people for no reason, so don't think twice about and enjoy forums like this one that are kept clean of crap.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

Facebook is terrible too, maybe the worst imo. I think it's largely due to people being misinformed, or just disrespectful punks. The spelling and grammar get on my nerves as well. I understand typos and such but not being able to spell very basic words while in debate just doesn't look right. How am I suppose to take a person serious when they can't spell or form sentences, etc?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

The internet, and particularly social media has given a voice to everyone. That includes people that the only voice they should have is at a drive though window.

It's the day and age where anyone can say anything and get it out to so many people. And sadly, so many people are like them....

I hate Facebook, twitter, etc...

I hate hearing celebrities speak and people fawning over them because somehow be able to play pretend for money lends credibity or makes them smart....

Ok now I rant like the people I rant about, haha

So to answer the OP. I don't think there are anymore idiots than there always have been, they now have a way to draw more attention to themselves...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

I think the main issue is that there is a greater supply of those that are stubborn and aim to prove themselves right. This leads to arguments rather than discussion.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

I believe it comes down to one word...anonymity. People will post things online that they'd never say to someone's face in a million years...it's just the nature of the beast
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    I believe it comes down to one word...anonymity. People will post things online that they'd never say to someone's face in a million years...it's just the nature of the beast
    Yup, I think that's mostly it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Road rage is similar.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Road rage is similar.
    Ya, people seem to get unusually brave when insulated by 2 tons of metal
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Didn't read through the entire thread, so not sure if anyone else has said it.

But I think the problem is anonymity. Since it's all online, people are more aggressive, more stubborn, more ignorant, more racist, etc etc etc. Because nobody knows who they really are and nobody is gonna be able to do a thing about it.

So I don't think there are more stupid people. It's the same every day people, but in an environment that allows them to hide behind a screen but be very vocal about things.... Usually in an ignorant way.

I agree with those of you who say "anonymity". And I also believe that it seems socially acceptable for many to jump on board, even when mean spirited or cruel, just because it appears to be normal behaviour (which many times it is NOT). There are seemingly few adherents/repercussions, so they continue, and others pile on, which I find to be gutless at times.

I am a big fan of face to face communication, which makes us more accountable, and provides us with the best interaction tools (ie. expression, posture, back and forth reasoning, and so on). Written/posted dialogue can be very useful, but only if the parties involved are responsible enough to accept consequences.

I guess what bothers me is that the go to position of many is not positive, when no one is looking. Reminds me of certain employees who were well paid and treated fairly, but chose to mess around when bosses were away, instead of being responsible members of a winning team. In fact, it's the ones who work just as hard or harder in these situations that are to be watched out for....they are the winners.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-14-2017 at 06:57 PM.

*than I imagine
    I really like Cheese.