Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    Actually the last thing we need is a rookie (from this draft class) starting at LT against Mack, Houston, and Bosa.
    In theory a rookie can improve and get better a 30 year coming off IR who has peaked at average has nowhere to go but down. We have a better chance at finding the answer at LT through rookies than we do with other teams backups that we know will disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Bronco View Post
    Apparently the Cardinals are moving Veldheer to right tackle so they can play D.J. Humphries on the left side. I've read that Veldheer isn't exactly happy about the move. I really like the idea of trading a third round pick (101) for this guy and possibly drafting Julie'n Davenport at 82 to develop as his future replacement. That fixes our offensive line with two third round picks and allows us to take a tight end and an offensive weapon in the first two rounds
    I like most of this, but just because our Defense is phenomenal doesn't mean we don't still have some needs on that side of the ball. Ward is probably gone after this year, Webster is gone, and let's not forget we were terrible stopping the run last year. We need a nose tackle, another defensive end, and a middle linebacker. The draft is rich with corners and D-line players. I agree we need a play maker on offense, so if a guy like Ross or McCaffery or Cook somehow falls to 20, but the second round I would think, would have us giving a long look at whatever defensive talent was still on the board.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Last thing we need is another journeyman tackle. Especially one coming off IR.
    If the Broncos way to make this move I think they should also sign king Dunlap as an emergency swing tackle

He has an injury history, is getting up there in age, has a fairly high salary and it would require draft compensation to make the move. John Elway loves over-paying mediocre offensive tackles so maybe he will try and get Jared Veldeer, or maybe he could just draft a talented young tackle in the first round who could hold it down for the next 6-8 years, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    He has an injury history, is getting up there in age, has a fairly high salary and it would require draft compensation to make the move. John Elway loves over-paying mediocre offensive tackles so maybe he will try and get Jared Veldeer, or maybe he could just draft a talented young tackle in the first round who could hold it down for the next 6-8 years, we will see.
    Why not do both? Trade for Veldeer for immediate starter (has an option out in 2018) and draft his replacement in 2nd or 3rd round.

Why not do both? Trade for Veldeer for immediate starter (has an option out in 2018) and draft his replacement in 2nd or 3rd round.
    Who though ? There is no depth at all in this tackle class and once them top 4 guys are gone, I don't think their is a prospect worthy of a pick inside the top 100. You could make the argument that someone could fall however I strongly doubt it cause once that top guy goes at tackle, the run will begin and the top 4 could be gone by 25. I have confidence that if John Elway drafts any of the top 4 tackles they will be able to start day 1 and be solid. And also John Elway can't draft to save himself in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    Who though ? There is no depth at all in this tackle class and once them top 4 guys are gone, I don't think their is a prospect worthy of a pick inside the top 100. You could make the argument that someone could fall however I strongly doubt it cause once that top guy goes at tackle, the run will begin and the top 4 could be gone by 25. I have confidence that if John Elway drafts any of the top 4 tackles they will be able to start day 1 and be solid. And also John Elway can't draft to save himself in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
    I like Moton, Garcia, and Davenport as development guys past the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    They can switch sides they rush pretty easily to exploit weak sides of a line
    This coaching staff might be more inclined to give help to tackles against top pass rushers?
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

I like Moton, Garcia, and Davenport as development guys past the 1st.
    The coaching staff and scouts might feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The coaching staff and scouts might feel differently.
    He was asked for an example and gave one. I think it goes without saying that that the coaching staff most likely has differing opinions on who is and isnt good. The good thing i see is that they have plenty of options. Id rather have that then be locked into someone you dont care to take at that point in time
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    This coaching staff might be more inclined to give help to tackles against top pass rushers?
    lets hope so, I feel more often than not Ty or Stephenson were left on an island to fend off Houston and Mack which almost always ended horribly.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    This is very true indeed. I just hope when the dust is settles that one day we can have an O Line very similar to Dallas. Of course I think we are long long long way away from this pipe dream.
    I think the addition of Leary is a step in the right direction, and we may not be as far away from a good line as we think. Maybe just a tackle and a guard away.

I just don't think this is the season where our line significantly improves, maybe by the 2018 season
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    lets hope so, I feel more often than not Ty or Stephenson were left on an island to fend off Houston and Mack which almost always ended horribly.
    The worst case of this was in 2015 when they just left Schofield on his own against Mack, and it kept going the same way over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    He was asked for an example and gave one. I think it goes without saying that that the coaching staff most likely has differing opinions on who is and isnt good. The good thing i see is that they have plenty of options. Id rather have that then be locked into someone you dont care to take at that point in time
    You're correct, I didn't read what he quoted, was skimming the thread and missed it. But in exploring it further, if the organization believes that there's 1 or 2 guys they could start at LT immediately and they'd be there for 10+ years, that's probably a better option than trading a pick for a 30 year old and then drafting a developmental guy. If those players get drafted then it's time to reconsider, but until they see how it plays out, it's better to aim for plan A and then have the contingency if needed. That's why I think Veldheer will be traded during the draft (if at all) because teams will reevaluate if the guy they wanted to draft is gone.

This is usually the time where something crazy happens or comes out that can change the draft. Last year for example with tunsil (sp?). No trades yet where as last year 1 and 2 had been traded already.

If the draft werent enough, we have a different coaching staff. How much that influences the outcome, im not sure but im whipping out the popcorn to see what comes next
    Glen Haven Fire