Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,067
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    I like Moton, Garcia, and Davenport as development guys past the 1st.
    The scouting report on Taylor Moton is that he is a waist bending RT. Antonio Garcia sounds like the best LT prospect after Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, Robinson and Dawkins. Davenport would be a project who might not be active his rookie year. In the Senior Bowl, he looked like he needs a lot of coaching.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,555
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The scouting report on Taylor Moton is that he is a waist bending RT. Antonio Garcia sounds like the best LT prospect after Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, Robinson and Dawkins. Davenport would be a project who might not be active his rookie year. In the Senior Bowl, he looked like he needs a lot of coaching.
    That's exactly why I was saying trade for Veldeer and draft a developmental guy. As far as I have heard, this draft class is weak along the OL. Of Veldeer is better than these guys and can be had for a 4th, why not? 30 isn't old for an OL. People are screaming for JT and he is 32. But Veldeer is "old"? I don't get it.

    I think if we take anyone other than Lamp at 20 (as far as OL) we are reaching for need. That's why I want to trade for Veldeer if he is good enough. I don't know much about him. I would rather take a offensive playmaker or defensive difference maker than an OL at 20.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    You're correct, I didn't read what he quoted, was skimming the thread and missed it. But in exploring it further, if the organization believes that there's 1 or 2 guys they could start at LT immediately and they'd be there for 10+ years, that's probably a better option than trading a pick for a 30 year old and then drafting a developmental guy. If those players get drafted then it's time to reconsider, but until they see how it plays out, it's better to aim for plan A and then have the contingency if needed. That's why I think Veldheer will be traded during the draft (if at all) because teams will reevaluate if the guy they wanted to draft is gone.
    I agree. I'd also be inclined to bring back in Clady at a low per year salary and draft one of the top guys (if we think they can be starters at or near day one). Having a veteran like Clady or perhaps even Veldheer should in theory allow for the younger guys to either develop behind them for a year or two or at the very least have a vet to help them along. All at the same time giving the Broncos a backup who is capable

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    That's exactly why I was saying trade for Veldeer and draft a developmental guy. As far as I have heard, this draft class is weak along the OL. Of Veldeer is better than these guys and can be had for a 4th, why not? 30 isn't old for an OL. People are screaming for JT and he is 32. But Veldeer is "old"? I don't get it.

    I think if we take anyone other than Lamp at 20 (as far as OL) we are reaching for need. That's why I want to trade for Veldeer if he is good enough. I don't know much about him. I would rather take a offensive playmaker or defensive difference maker than an OL at 20.
    Different players get impacted by their age in different ways. Some get impacted more than others. Some players see their age force a VERY steep decline in play and others seem to not be impacted by it. JT despite a slight decline in play last season was still in the top group of tackles in the league. All while being 32 years old. So, yes I understand why you're asking the question, but I think it is fairly clear that JT moire so than Veldeer has been able to play and at a high level despite his age.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Different players get impacted by their age in different ways. Some get impacted more than others. Some players see their age force a VERY steep decline in play and others seem to not be impacted by it. JT despite a slight decline in play last season was still in the top group of tackles in the league. All while being 32 years old. So, yes I understand why you're asking the question, but I think it is fairly clear that JT moire so than Veldeer has been able to play and at a high level despite his age.
    I know what your saying, but to say a player is old at the OT position at just 30 is crazy. Peters is 35. Thomas is 32. It isn't crazy to think Veldeer can play for at least another 3 years at a good level.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    68
    I honestly think our line will be night and day with a few weak links gone and a new system

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I agree. I'd also be inclined to bring back in Clady at a low per year salary and draft one of the top guys (if we think they can be starters at or near day one). Having a veteran like Clady or perhaps even Veldheer should in theory allow for the younger guys to either develop behind them for a year or two or at the very least have a vet to help them along. All at the same time giving the Broncos a backup who is capable
    Ryan should play for free.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    I know what your saying, but to say a player is old at the OT position at just 30 is crazy. Peters is 35. Thomas is 32. It isn't crazy to think Veldeer can play for at least another 3 years at a good level.
    I think he probably could play at a decent level but I do think it is fair to say that given his injury last year that he may, not definitely, be nearing the end of his career faster then what he or a would be trade suitor, like us, would hope. I suppose the issue I'd have is that the pick it would take to acquire him would likely be one which could or would allow us to move up in the draft a round or more and nab a younger and potentially better player all be it at a different position.

    So would it be better to target a street vet like Clady and then draft an OT in the 1st? or would it be better to go after a better OT and then either target his replacement in the 1st or perhaps even look to a project-type player to MAYBE replace the vet....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Ryan should play for free.
    well that is up for debate but he should at least be playing for a vet min. Cost control for a backup option and then perhaps target his replacement in the draft?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    That's exactly why I was saying trade for Veldeer and draft a developmental guy. As far as I have heard, this draft class is weak along the OL. Of Veldeer is better than these guys and can be had for a 4th, why not? 30 isn't old for an OL. People are screaming for JT and he is 32. But Veldeer is "old"? I don't get it.

    I think if we take anyone other than Lamp at 20 (as far as OL) we are reaching for need. That's why I want to trade for Veldeer if he is good enough. I don't know much about him. I would rather take a offensive playmaker or defensive difference maker than an OL at 20.
    One has been consistently one of the best at his position for his entire career and has missed very few games during that career. The other is a guy who's been at best average through his career and has twice been placed on IR to end the season.

    30 and average is considered old because he's unlikely to get any better. 32 and terrific won't get any better, but he probably won't drop that fast either.

    But the obvious question in this would be if there have been any legitimate rumors about the Browns moving Thomas recently? Cause as far as I can tell it's only people on here who want him in Denver who think he's available.

    As for anyone other than Lamp being a reach at 20, the front office may feel differently.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    One has been consistently one of the best at his position for his entire career and has missed very few games during that career. The other is a guy who's been at best average through his career and has twice been placed on IR to end the season.

    30 and average is considered old because he's unlikely to get any better. 32 and terrific won't get any better, but he probably won't drop that fast either.

    But the obvious question in this would be if there have been any legitimate rumors about the Browns moving Thomas recently? Cause as far as I can tell it's only people on here who want him in Denver who think he's available.

    As for anyone other than Lamp being a reach at 20, the front office may feel differently.
    The front office may also think the same. No one knows what they think.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    The front office may also think the same. No one knows what they think.
    Agreed. We won't know until during the draft, cause that's the time when teams will miss on prospects they really want and trade for veterans whom are available.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Ryan should play for free.
    darn right. Sat for pretty much two years on IR getting paid. Owes us a season now
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The worst case of this was in 2015 when they just left Schofield on his own against Mack, and it kept going the same way over and over again.
    Yeah I remember that game. Schofield literally made Mack a pro-bowl HOFer in one game
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •