Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

McFaffrey & Mixon?

Would Elway be insane to grab McCaffrey and Mixon in the 1st & 2nd?

That's what I would calling adding some "juice" to the offense. Imagine a 3 headed monster of Mixon/McCaffrey/Booker at running back...with a motivated DT and Emmanuel at WR...wow...& yes I am implying we get rid of CJ...the dude is severely over-rated and constantly injured as well as always out of shape...I'd say use him and a 4th to acquire Sheldon Richardson from NYJ.

But seriously imagine giving Mixon about 15-20 touches a game and McCaffrey 12-15 touches per game between RB/Slot...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MileHighCrusher; 04-20-2017 at 12:54 AM.

The pure awesomeness of making these moves is evident, but unless a trade is made to secure a LT, namely Thomas, Peters or Veldheer, adding all the backfield power in the world won't create a run game when we can't block anyone. If the front office can convince itself there is generational talent to be had at running back, or WR, or any position not on the O-line, then making that pick would be pretty easy.

The second problem your Utopic picks have is availability. Painfully, I have a feeling neither player will be available when we get to our respective spot in those rounds.

My guess is we go LT if Bolles or that Wisconsin kid is available, and middle linebacker or DT in the second. We shall see.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

I went college with Bolles while he was at Snow haha he was even in my human biology study group so that would be a trip if he became a Bronco. He's a super goofy dude and the character issues are overblown he's a very good guy.

One thing I realized the other day that might be worth noting with our o-line. Remember how Oakland would use extra lineman? Wasn't Musgrave the offensive coordinator for them last year...I wonder if we see the same concepts use in our offense as well...

Yes, that would be insanity lol. If we didn't have CJ some other pressing needs that wouldn't be bad. Not a horrible strategy if a team did that, but just not us.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrusher View Post
    Would Elway be insane to grab McCaffrey and Mixon in the 1st & 2nd?

That's what I would calling adding some "juice" to the offense. Imagine a 3 headed monster of Mixon/McCaffrey/Booker at running back...with a motivated DT and Emmanuel at WR...wow...& yes I am implying we get rid of CJ...the dude is severely over-rated and constantly injured as well as always out of shape...I'd say use him and a 4th to acquire Sheldon Richardson from NYJ.

But seriously imagine giving Mixon about 15-20 touches a game and McCaffrey 12-15 touches per game between RB/Slot...

Thoughts?
    Wishbone?

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Wishbone?

If we can average more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust I am all for it

CJ...the dude is severely over-rated and constantly injured as well as always out of shape...I'd say use him and a 4th to acquire Sheldon Richardson from NYJ.
    With all you just pointed out about CJ being injured and out of shape, why would the jets trade for him?

I'm wondering why Richardson is still a jet, why haven't they traded him? Are they asking way too much? Is Richardson a problematic person that nobody wants on their team? My point is that there are many stops that would go into this trade.

But anyway both mixon and C-mac would be too much appetite to feed for one Offense.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Wishbone?

It'd definitely split that defense down the middle.

I went college with Bolles while he was at Snow haha he was even in my human biology study group so that would be a trip if he became a Bronco. He's a super goofy dude and the character issues are overblown he's a very good guy.

One thing I realized the other day that might be worth noting with our o-line. Remember how Oakland would use extra lineman? Wasn't Musgrave the offensive coordinator for them last year...I wonder if we see the same concepts use in our offense as well...
    When Mike McCoy began his NFL coaching career in 2000, he was on the Panthers' staff as an offensive assistant with Bill Musgrave who was OC and QB coach.

McCoy was still with the Panthers in 2007-08 as Passing Coordinator and QB coach working under Jeff Davidson who was Carolina's OC at the time. Geep Chryst was Carolina's TE coach then.

From 2011 through 2013 Jeff Davidson coached O-Line at Minnesota under Bill Musgrave who was Vikings' OC at the time.

Jeff Davidson was Chargers' O-Line coach last year under Mike McCoy.

All four of these coaches have been OCs in the NFL: McCoy (Denver 2010-12); Musgrave (Philly '98, Carolina '00, Jax '03-'04, Minnesota '11-'13 and Oakland '15-'16); Davidson (Cleveland '06 and Carolina '07-'10); and Chryst (San Diego '99-'00 and San Francisco '15)

They know how to design an offense, compile a playbook and install an offense as well as coach positions. Between them, Eric Studesville and Tyke Tolbert (with whom they have worked) they know a lot of different kinds of offensive football.

As you say, Musgrave employed six O-Linemen in Oakland last year. In 2011, McCoy used unbalanced over/tandem tackle O-Line in the Tebow offense. Davidson has coordinated and coached plenty of different blocking schemes including lots of angle blocked run plays. Denver's offensive coaching staff for 2017 is a tight group who have worked together before and know how to show a lot of different looks and plays.

I'd rather keep CJ and trade Booker. He is easily the betier back and their film shows it

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    If we can average more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust I am all for it
    After seeing what McCoy did with the rushing attack in 2011, I wonder if he has a triple option chapter in his playbook. That year he ran Single Wing, Double Wing, Option and Power I, Pistol and Spread Option including some unbalanced over/tandem tackle O-Lines. He is unusual among OCs because of the variety he has installed in the past. I'm looking forward to the new O.

I could see us getting McCaffrey in the 1st or he might already be gone, we'll see. If that happened I would not take Mixon in the 2nd - if he was still there - but if he happened to be there in the 3rd it would be very difficult, IMO to pass on him. I have "drooled" over getting McCaffrey, Engram and then Mixon in the draft; that certainly would be an infusion of skilled position talent that would be hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    I'd rather keep CJ and trade Booker. He is easily the betier back and their film shows it
    What the film doesn't show is Anderson constantly either dinged up or injured. Being good doesn't matter if you can't stay on the field.

Also comparing contracts and where they are in their careers, Booker is more valuable at this point, although no one would trade for either.

I can't fathom any front office using both their first and second round picks on players that will only combine to play 67% of the snaps.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    I can't fathom any front office using both their first and second round picks on players that will only combine to play 67% of the snaps.
    What's wrong with you?

You don't want to take RBs with the first two picks?

Jeez! Party pooper.