Thread: Adam Shaheen

Adam Shaheen

OK so word around the mile high is that Shaheen is the next Gronkowski. Very exciting comparison but cant Shaheen be recognized for his own capabilities instead, doesn't he have enough talent of his own to recognize?

Now everybody's high on OJ Howard, Evan Ingram, Njokuo etc. but what if Elway was to pass on all of them and draft Shaheen in the third or fourth round? You know the pick that everybody is so quick to wanting to trade?

Does Shaheen have Gronk like capabilities? Would everyone be satisfied with Elway passing the rest and taking Shaheen over them or are we taking a chance and drafting another Jeff Heuerman like prospect?

Grade: 5.83
    Photo of Adam Shaheen
    Adam Shaheen (TE)
    HT: 6'6" WT: 278LBS.
    POSITION: TE
    SCHOOL: Ashland
    ARM LENGTH: 33 1/2"
    HANDS: 9 5/8"
    Overview
    Talk about a Cinderella story. Shaheen was an all-conference pick in basketball and football in Galena, Ohio, and signed with Division II Pittsburgh-Johnstown to play hoops (5.5 pts, 3.1 reb per game in 2013-2014). He then transferred to Ashland to play football, which turned out to be the right move. Shaheen caught two passes for 85 yards as the team's No. 3 tight end in 2014. He then took over the starting job the next year, catching 70 passes (for 803 yards and 10 TDs), a Division II record for tight ends. The two-time AFCA All-American and first-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference pick had another great year in 2016, setting a school record with 16 touchdowns among his 57 receptions for 867 yards.
    COMBINE STATS
    40 YARD DASH: 4.79 SEC
    BENCH PRESS: 24 REPS
    VERTICAL JUMP: 32.5 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH
    3 CONE DRILL: 7.09 SEC
    20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.38 SEC
    60 YARD SHUTTLE: 12.38 SEC
    ANALYSIS
    Strengths
    Enormous frame for a tight end. Powerfully built, well-proportioned frame. Accomplished high school hooper who brings the same footwork to the field. Has good sink into breaks and can make sharp cuts coming out. Has foot quickness for clever stutter-and-go double moves to uncover against linebackers. Above average speed and acceleration for his size. Creates leverage points against man coverage before breaking his routes off and pulling away. Moved all over the field. Was isolated for fade routes near endzone. Plus hand-eye coordination and shows ability to alter body positioning to improve catch-odds while ball-tracking.Trusted in pass protection. Sees twists and blitzes and responds to them. Needs work as run blocker but has desired frame of a Y-tight end.
    Weaknesses
    Physically overwhelmed a lower level of competition. Upper body is stiff and mechanical in his routes. Hasn't learned how to utilize hands to free himself against press. Gets jammed up in his release and can be knocked off the timing of his patterns. Will need to learn to adjust in space in order to maneuver past traffic. In need of his fair share of technique work as a run blocker. Ducks head into initial contact. Finds himself lunging and chasing when asked to climb to second level.
    Sources Tell Us
    "I watched him for two games and turned the tape off because I want to see him live in Indy before I develop any more of an opinion of him. I saw some things that has me very excited." - AFC pro personnel director
    NFL Comparison
    Vance McDonald
    Bottom Line
    Big, fast and athletic, Shaheen will immediately interest teams who are looking for size and traits. He's a poorer blocker than what might be expected for a player with his frame, but he's also a much more dangerous pass catching target. The jump in competition will be substantial and teams will expect him to become a more consistent blocker, but he's a pass catching tight end in a Y-tight end's body. Shaheen has starting potential with an ability to impact a passing game early in his career.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-20-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Everybody is hyping this guy to go in the 2nd round. I just don't see it. Watch his tape and it seems more like him doing what he is supposed to do against lesser competition vs him dominating against guys on an equal talent level like some of the other later round TE prospects. Based on measurables alone I would take him in the 4th but the 2nd is too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Everybody is hyping this guy to go in the 2nd round. I just don't see it. Watch his tape and it seems more like him doing what he is supposed to do against lesser competition vs him dominating against guys on an equal talent level like some of the other later round TE prospects. Based on measurables alone I would take him in the 4th but the 2nd is too risky.
    I think if we are picking with either a late 1st or high second and Ingram is there, Elway should be all over it.
    Not to take anything away from Shaheen but Ingram is the premier TE in this class. IMO!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-20-2017 at 10:45 AM.

One of the questions that came to mind with him is whether he ends up at TE or adds 20-30 pounds and is developed as a big, athletic LT in a couple of years. A lot to like about him, but I'm not sure if he'll get enough separation in the NFL. He might turn into a great tackle too...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I think if we are picking with either a Kate 1st or high second and Ingram is there, Elway should be all over it. Not to worry ale anything away from Shaheen but Ingram is the premier TE in this class. IMO!
    Not sure I see that. He's extremely thin. Even DT has 20 lbs on him. Unless he can put on 40lbs, I don't see him being a successful "all-around" TE in this league. If you're going to use him as a pass-catching TE, why not just move Jordan Taylor to TE and ask him to gain 10-15lbs.

*Edit- I see now that he put on 15 lbs for the combine. Still ran a 4.42. Really impressive, but I'm still curious why he isn't a WR? He's the same size as DT now.
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-20-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Not sure I see that. He's extremely thin. Even DT has 20 lbs on him. Unless he can put on 40lbs, I don't see him being a successful "all-around" TE in this league. If you're going to use him as a pass-catching TE, why not just move Jordan Taylor to TE and ask him to gain 10-15lbs.

*Edit- I see now that he put on 15 lbs for the combine. Still ran a 4.42. Really impressive, but I'm still curious why he isn't a WR? He's the same size as DT now.
    Because if that is what you're looking for you already have a TE like that...Krieger Coble....

He cant get separation. He is not like Gronk.

I like OJ, Engram, Njoku, Bucky and Leggett better. By quite a bit. He is a 4th rd guy. He will probably go earlier on his measurables, but like that big TE that was with buffalo, and then the pats, Scott something....If you are big and fast that is great but if you cannot get separation you arent that good.
    For now....
    1. Cam Robinson LT; 2. Evan Engram TE; 3. Joe Mixon/Al Kamara RB; 3B Jarron Jones DE; 4. Jake Butt TE

I still think everyone is overlooking Everett. He is my favorite TE in this draft not named Howard. I don't want a 1st round TE so I like either Everett or Sprinkle.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...en-throws-down

Crazy... doesn't even look like the same person. Apparently this was him playing BBALL before he put on 70-80 lbs to play TE eating Chipotle Burritos!!!
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-20-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16