Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 91 to 97 of 97

Thread: NFL Draft Notes

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,064
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I doubt Polumbus has studied the draft through the years and knows draft history.

    The Lions got their starting LT (Taylor Decker) at #16 in last year's draft... That's pretty close to #20.

    The Bengals and Cardinals got their current OTs at #21 (Cedric Ogbuehi) and #24 (D.J. Humphries) in 2015.

    The Dolphins starting RT, Ja'Wuan James, was taken at #19 in 2014.

    Riley Reiff was a 5-year starter for the Lions, drafted at #23 in 2012. Cordy Glenn, the Bills' franchise LT, was drafted at #41 in the same year.

    The Patriots drafted Nate Solder at #17 and the Colts drafted Anthony Castonzo at #22 in 2011.

    The Packers drafted Bryan Bulaga at #23 in 2010.

    This notion that all OTs must go in the top 10 and they can't be any good if they are available around #20 just does not reflect the truth of the NFL draft through the years.

    It is entirely possible that an OT is the BPA at #20 and not a reach at all.
    Don't think that is the point he and multiple draft analysts are making.

    All your examples are of quality players being found deep in the 1st round because of the quality and depth of the position those years. You are supporting the point he is making IMO.

    The point with this years draft is they are not graded as high. Hence no top 10 OTs. Even the most discussed going in the teens and 20's are not as highly graded or regarded as past OTs . The question of whether they are truly worthy of a 1st round pick or just getting drafted out of need and potential.

    Similar philosophy as some years having runs on QBs that are not projected in the first but teams flock to trade for them in desperation. OT has become a desperate move by multiple teams. Or look at the RB position. In past years no RBs taken in the 1st. This year there could be three.

    Scouting is not an exact science. Its projection and playing the odds. A couple of these OTs may be starters and have wonderful careers. They may also linger on depth charts but never quite live up to the 1st round expectations. Only time will tell.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I doubt Polumbus has studied the draft through the years and knows draft history.

    The Lions got their starting LT (Taylor Decker) at #16 in last year's draft... That's pretty close to #20.

    The Bengals and Cardinals got their current OTs at #21 (Cedric Ogbuehi) and #24 (D.J. Humphries) in 2015.

    The Dolphins starting RT, Ja'Wuan James, was taken at #19 in 2014.

    Riley Reiff was a 5-year starter for the Lions, drafted at #23 in 2012. Cordy Glenn, the Bills' franchise LT, was drafted at #41 in the same year.

    The Patriots drafted Nate Solder at #17 and the Colts drafted Anthony Castonzo at #22 in 2011.

    The Packers drafted Bryan Bulaga at #23 in 2010.

    This notion that all OTs must go in the top 10 and they can't be any good if they are available around #20 just does not reflect the truth of the NFL draft through the years.

    It is entirely possible that an OT is the BPA at #20 and not a reach at all.
    Agreed but if thrown into the same draft, i dont think any of the thiz years oline would be drafted in the 1st if these others listed were available. And honestly from a big board perspective i dont see any of them as top 50 of bpa

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,647
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    best overall....
    That's pretty lofty. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but IMO he will be special. This time of year baffles me. The guys only negative is arm length, yet you put on the tape and he dominates. Coaches, GMs, and scouts get way too caught up in the little things this time of year.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,760
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    All your examples are of quality players being found deep in the 1st round because of the quality and depth of the position those years.
    Not really. There was no depth in 2012. After Matt Kalil at #4, Riley Reiff was the second OT to go (#23).

    There was no depth in 2011 either. After Tyron Smith at #9, Nate Solder was the next to go at #17 and went earlier than expected. Then the third OT was Castonzo at #22.

    So, the only difference this year is there is not a consensus top-5, top-10 OT like Matt Kalil and Tyron Smith.

    However, we also can't ignore the fact that the need for OTs makes NFL teams grade and draft OTs higher than media ranks. Last year, no one in the media had Jack Conklin as a top-10 OT. He was considered a mid 1st-round pick and the Titans traded up to get him in at #8 just to have a RT.

    2015 draft: Ereck Flowers and Andrus Peat were very mediocre OTs in college, nothing special about them. Flowers was considered a late 1st-round pick, yet the Giants drafted him at #9. Peat, a raw and heavy-footed OT, was drafted at #13.

    So, don't be surprised if NFL teams' draft boards have these OTs graded higher than what the media is suggesting. Cam Robinson was a 3-year starter at LT for Alabama, 1st Team All-American, ideal frame and arm length to be an OT in the league. Garrett Bolles is the most athletic OT in this draft, also more athletic than any OT in last year's draft, and plays with a mean streak to finish blocks. Ramczyk has a medical issue but was a 1st Team All-American playing LT for Wisconsin,one of the best college programs to develop OTs.

    The top OTs from this year's draft are arguably better prospects than Ereck Flowers and Andrus Peat and not much different than Jack Conklin and Taylor Decker. This draft does not have depth at OT in rounds 2 or 3, but these top OTs will probably go in the 1st round with NFL teams having them between 15-25 overall on their boards.

    Forrest Lamp is another prospect that would be graded high in any draft as a G/T, especially when he is compared to Z. Martin from the Cowboys.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    That's pretty lofty. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but IMO he will be special. This time of year baffles me. The guys only negative is arm length, yet you put on the tape and he dominates. Coaches, GMs, and scouts get way too caught up in the little things this time of year.
    I like Lamp, however I dont think he will be as good as Martin was coming out.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,089
    Good news for Sidney Jones, he's on pace to possibly be back on the field by September.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urn-to-action/

    And bad news for another (unnamed) first round prospect, who is facing sexual assault allegations.


    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cleveland/

  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Good news for Sidney Jones, he's on pace to possibly be back on the field by September.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urn-to-action/

    And bad news for another (unnamed) first round prospect, who is facing sexual assault allegations.


    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cleveland/
    Well it only is unfortunate if the allegations are false.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •