Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Oddities in Elway's Presser as it Pertained to the Draft

So I re-watched the Elway presser and he made a few different comments at two different times which left me saying....ummmm that was interesting....

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...a-575f84e66959

The first odd response:

Question: John is there a day one starter at Left Tackle in the draft?

Occurred at 3:47 to 4:02

Now while his answer in and of itself is not "odd" it was this answer coupled with the next Q&A listed below which really got me thinking....

The second odd response:

The initial lead in to this was started at 5:32 - This was where Elway first started to mention Ty as a 'real option and starter at LT'

THIS is THE question and answer which really got me re-listening: When you first started the off season process did you hope to bring on a veteran tackle so you could enter into the draft with that guy on the roster?

Answer: Between 6:01 and 6:32

Of particular note was the pulling back (IMO) of a would be response at 6:23 to 6:27 there was then a quick flip to re-mentioning Ty.

To me this comment while it may seem small and insignificant on the surface appeared to be Elway catching himself before talking about a deal or would be deal and then pivoting to the pre-scripted pre-draft smoke screen of using Ty to divert attention.

Curious as to others thoughts?

I think as much as he mentioned Ty, any opposing NFL Scout or GM we come to the conclusion that he is putting up a serious smokescreen. Therefore maybe Elway is perhaps playing a serious game of chess by making them believe that he is placing a smokescreen out there when in reality he is targeting somebody else at a completely different position.

It's the game of chess and he is very good at it. Always mess with their heads.

This is definitely an interesting take. With some of the other comments he made about not "reaching" on a player, this may also be his way of trying to diminish any backlash if we don't happen to go OL early in the draft.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    This is definitely an interesting take. With some of the other comments he made about not "reaching" on a player, this may also be his way of trying to diminish any backlash if we don't happen to go OL early in the draft.
    As I said in another thread I wouldn't be opposed of John Elway trading the number 20 pick to move back in the draft and perhaps taking somebody like Forrest lamp in the late 20s (if he still available).

I know he's not a left tackle but he would solidify the interior of our offensive line. Anyway then in the second round hopefully pick up Cooper Kupp and perhaps Evan Ingram depending on what picks we were to receive in exchange for our number 20 pick.

And I already know it's not Madden lol and just to let the record show, I've never once even played Madden.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    As I said in another thread I wouldn't be opposed of John Elway trading the number 20 pick to move back in the draft and perhaps taking somebody like Forrest lamp in the late 20s (if he still available).

I know he's not a left tackle but he would solidify the interior of our offensive line. Anyway then in the second round hopefully pick up Cooper Kupp and perhaps Evan Ingram depending on what picks we were to receive in exchange for our number 20 pick.

And I already know it's not Madden lol and just to let the record show, I've never once even played Madden.
    I'm all for Forrest Lamp at 20. If Elway can move back and still get him, that's even better.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

I feel like Elways is playing mind games with us. He expressed how that he loved McCaffrey abilities and talents. Imo I feel like he just saying this to make is appear like we really want him but Elways is hoping someone takes him before us. That way he can say he wanted him but was unable to get him. Why would you express to everyone how much you like a certain player and then try to trade up to get him? Other teams know that you would want him badly and raise the price to trade for him, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I feel like Elways is playing mind games with us. He expressed how that he loved McCaffrey abilities and talents. Imo I feel like he just saying this to make is appear like we really want him but Elways is hoping someone takes him before us. That way he can say he wanted him but was unable to get him. Why would you express to everyone how much you like a certain player and then try to trade up to get him? Other teams know that you would want him badly and raise the price to trade for him, maybe?
    Seems pretty clear. Elway has the luxury to talk about McCaffrey because he is projected to be selected well before the Broncos pick. And they are not trading up to get him unless the situation changes dramatically.

Not any mind games. Just knows the local kid and family. Giving him some kind words. No matter how much he likes him he knows he is off the board for the Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Seems pretty clear. Elway has the luxury to talk about McCaffrey because he is projected to be selected well before the Broncos pick. And they are not trading up to get him unless the situation changes dramatically.

Not any mind games. Just knows the local kid and family. Giving him some kind words. No matter how much he likes him he knows he is off the board for the Broncos
    I could see Elway strongly consider McCaffrey if he falls out of the top 12. We would have to risk 2 years of draft chaos to move up that far.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    I could see Elway strongly consider McCaffrey if he falls out of the top 12. We would have to risk 2 years of draft chaos to move up that far.
    Anythings possible. It would be tricky though. Reportedly there are a few teams interested in the teens. Elway would need to be perfect in his timing and be willing to give up a significant asset.

I would be thrilled with selecting McCaffery. Just do not see it happening. I have conceded the possibility is slim to none.

Who knows though? Stranger things have happened and I'm pretty sure there was a recent mock that had him on the board at #20 and the Broncos left him there. Maybe they know something.

I'm hoping that because he didn't really talk highly or poorly about Mixon is a sign that we are strongly considering him

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    So I re-watched the Elway presser and he made a few different comments at two different times which left me saying....ummmm that was interesting....

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...a-575f84e66959

The first odd response:

Question: John is there a day one starter at Left Tackle in the draft?

Occurred at 3:47 to 4:02

Now while his answer in and of itself is not "odd" it was this answer coupled with the next Q&A listed below which really got me thinking....

The second odd response:

The initial lead in to this was started at 5:32 - This was where Elway first started to mention Ty as a 'real option and starter at LT'

THIS is THE question and answer which really got me re-listening: When you first started the off season process did you hope to bring on a veteran tackle so you could enter into the draft with that guy on the roster?

Answer: Between 6:01 and 6:32

Of particular note was the pulling back (IMO) of a would be response at 6:23 to 6:27 there was then a quick flip to re-mentioning Ty.

To me this comment while it may seem small and insignificant on the surface appeared to be Elway catching himself before talking about a deal or would be deal and then pivoting to the pre-scripted pre-draft smoke screen of using Ty to divert attention.

Curious as to others thoughts?
    Or, they really do think Ty could be the LT this year? He showed up to camp looking fantastic. He's clearly put on some upper body strength according to reports, maybe Elway is just confident that Ty is the man?

He had terrible coaching last year...but the team was really high on him when he came into the league. Maybe with better coaching and some more strength he can live up to the teams original expectations.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 04-25-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Or, they really do think Ty could be the LT this year? He showed up to camp looking fantastic. He's clearly put on some upper body strength according to reports, maybe Elway is just confident that Ty is the man?

He had terrible coaching last year...but the team was really high on him when he came into the league. Maybe with better coaching and some more strength he can live up to the teams original expectations.
    I hope Ty does show up like he was rookie season before he was injured. He wasn't perfect but certainly looked to have potential.

That's exactly my thinking. I don't read anything into what Elway said as some sort of "smokescreen" or "mind game". I think he answered honestly. And I'm a "Conspiracy Buff"!

Sambrailo came in as a rookie with a history shoulder issues, dating back to high school. He won the LT job with his bum shoulder, and then he hurt it worse. The Labrum surgery requires a long, drawn-out rehab, and then Sambrailo hurt his elbow, last June. And they still thought enough of him to Start him in a few games last season. So, it's only been the last 6-8 months that has allowed Sambrailo to address his lack of strength, which was the main criticism in all the Draft Prospect analyses that came out before he was Drafted. I just don't read anything into what Elway said.

Additionally, Forrest Lamp is a Left Tackle. And he played that position at a high level for almost his entire college career. And where "Draft Guru's" get off on listing him as a Guard, because his arms are 2-inches too short, just reminds me of how little you can count on the thousands of "Prospect" and "Mock Draft" sites on the internet. Can Lamp play Guard? I think he's good enough to play any position on the OL.

That's good to hear about Ty. I hope he at least gets a chance to show what he's capable of when healthy.

Im rooting for his Ty! I meet his parents in Nashville at a hotel in Nashville the day before the game. Talked to them for a few minutes as we all were in Denver gear and they were very nice! Then on Sunday our seats were same row 3/4 seats from each other lol. My wife said I bet they think we are stalkers!!!