Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 182

Thread: Bolles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,298

    Bolles

    Maybe I'll be the only Broncos fan that is happy with the Bolles pick. I agree that a OT is not a sexy pick, but it was a necessity for sure! I haven't seen him in games but what I've seen some of his highlight videos and I really like what I saw, especially in comparison to the other OTs! This guy blocks with power! I see many videos highlighting his blocking techniques. He seems to play big and very aggressive! He also seems like he takes his assignments very serious and takes pride in completing the blocking assignments all the way through the play. I read about his back story, nothing there to worry about. Many young men 18 - 23 are trying to find there way, he was no different. Yeah he is a few years older and married with a kid, but I guarantee you that he will take this job very serious, something about becoming a father makes you more dedicated. I see him starting next season and doing a good job. He knows he has to make this work and I bet he will have the right mindset in every game and he will take care of that left side, just give him a chance. Watch some of his videos and see how you feel after. As far as me, I want to welcome Bolles! I'm sure our QBs are going to be pretty happy with you protecting them!
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mobile,al.
    Posts
    123
    Take off the orange kool aid glasses and you will see that this guy needs more strength to handle Mack and Bosa plus he still needs to learn the tactics of football because of all the penalties he's made. He will be vital in the run game but his pass protection is scary. I really hope he's good enough to start day one but Elway has been terrible with OL picks and I think he just reached this year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,676
    We got a two month younger version of Ty Sambrailo. If Bolles was 21/22 I would understand it. Even if he works out, he will already be regressing when he finishes his rookie contract.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Maybe I'll be the only Broncos fan that is happy with the Bolles pick. I agree that a OT is not a sexy pick, but it was a necessity for sure! I haven't seen him in games but what I've seen some of his highlight videos and I really like what I saw, especially in comparison to the other OTs! This guy blocks with power! I see many videos highlighting his blocking techniques. He seems to play big and very aggressive! He also seems like he takes his assignments very serious and takes pride in completing the blocking assignments all the way through the play. I read about his back story, nothing there to worry about. Many young men 18 - 23 are trying to find there way, he was no different. Yeah he is a few years older and married with a kid, but I guarantee you that he will take this job very serious, something about becoming a father makes you more dedicated. I see him starting next season and doing a good job. He knows he has to make this work and I bet he will have the right mindset in every game and he will take care of that left side, just give him a chance. Watch some of his videos and see how you feel after. As far as me, I want to welcome Bolles! I'm sure our QBs are going to be pretty happy with you protecting them!
    I like the selection as well. He is opening day starter potential. Fills a void, and now has the maturity to be vital out of the box. Fingers crossed. Elway knows the game better than I do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    504
    Well Elway blew it, sort of. Jarrad Davis was still on the board and so was Cam Robinson. Bolles was the worst of the three/foyur 1st rd OTs on the board and we took him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SoCal - The OC....
    Posts
    2,512
    I am not in love with the pick, but here are some really good tidbits from some people who know a bit about O line play:

    mark schlereth‏Verified account @markschlereth 1h1 hour ago

    Hey @Broncos fans I studied all the OT's in this draft and Bolles was my favorite one of the bunch.



    PFF said the following:



    The Denver Broncos selected tackle Garett Bolles with its first-round pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.
    Bolles is a highly athletic tackle with experience in an outside zone-heavy run-blocking scheme, making him an excellent fit in the Broncos’ similar system.
    His 84.0 run-blocking grade in 2016 was second-best among the tackle draft class.
    He has room to improve in pass protection as he allowed 20 total pressures last year for a 96.4 pass-blocking efficiency that ranked 42nd in the draft class.
    Bolles did not allow a single pressure against bull-rush moves in 2016.
    Denver’s two tackles penciled in as starter entering the draft, Menelik Watson and Donald Stephenson, ranked 56th and 77th, respectively, in overall grade out of 78 qualifying tackles last season.


    https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...garett-bolles/
    Last edited by Gsam; 04-27-2017 at 09:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,943
    Sorry, this pick would have been fine if it were in the mid or late second round; but by drafting him at 20 in the first we left waaaaaaaaaaaay too much talent on the field that we desperately need. We easily could have gotten Bolles/Cam tomorrow or another with the ability to do as well as Bolles at a later pick.

    Elway is terrible at drafting offense, and honestly I think he's only good at drafting defense because he defers to the DC for that.

    This is the absolute worst case scenario for this draft. No disrespect for Bolles. I hope he comes in and does his best and has a great career, but he doesn't have the strength or size to compete with pros yet and he likely won't for several years and by then he'll be nearly 30 years old.

    Really hope I'm wrong though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    9,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakshow View Post
    Sorry, this pick would have been fine if it were in the mid or late second round; but by drafting him at 20 in the first we left waaaaaaaaaaaay too much talent on the field that we desperately need. We easily could have gotten Bolles/Cam tomorrow or another with the ability to do as well as Bolles at a later pick.

    Elway is terrible at drafting offense, and honestly I think he's only good at drafting defense because he defers to the DC for that.

    This is the absolute worst case scenario for this draft. No disrespect for Bolles. I hope he comes in and does his best and has a great career, but he doesn't have the strength or size to compete with pros yet and he likely won't for several years and by then he'll be nearly 30 years old.

    Really hope I'm wrong though.
    Elway hasn't drafted well on offense in so many years sometimes I really wonder what he's doing. This was horrible pick they were so much better talent on the board at 20.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    63
    Drafting Oz aka reaching Drafting Pax aka reaching Drafting Lattamore a reach Drafting M.Ball a reach all busts I see a trend here oh well it is what it is! How old is this kid 25 yep another reach when everyone else knows Bolles would of been available in 2nd or even later rounds. Oh well 😔

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    9,069
    The pick bothered me bc I prefer to play it safely.... Missing on a first round pick (a top 20 selection) is a killer....
    There's just too many red flags to justify the pick, for me....

    But.... I don't get paid to make these decisions and I'm not privy to the info they have.... so what did i know.

    Truth is Bolles was supposedly the second name on their big board, behind only McCaffrey.

    We tried to trade for McCaffrey, and even Joe Thomas.

    Then, at 20, we settled for BPA (and that also fills a major need).

    We took the first OL in the draft, and how often do you have that opportunity? So, this has to be a good thing.

    You can't coach athleticism or footwork.... he can run block and protect the edge.... we hope he works ok everything else.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    Elway hasn't drafted well on offense in so many years sometimes I really wonder what he's doing. This was horrible pick they were so much better talent on the board at 20.
    I said that earlier lol that I truly think John Elway has no clue how to draft. I even think Paxton Lynch will even be a bust just like Ozwiller was and I knew it from day one the only reason JE drafted Oz was because his son and him were best friends and roommates in college not very good drafting if you ask me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    9,069
    The pick bothered me bc I prefer to play it safely.... Missing on a first round pick (a top 20 selection) is a killer....
    There's just too many red flags to justify the pick, for me....

    But.... I don't get paid to make these decisions and I'm not privy to the info they have.... so what did i know.

    Truth is Bolles was supposedly the second name on their big board, behind only McCaffrey.

    We tried to trade for McCaffrey, and even Joe Thomas.

    Then, at 20, we settled for BPA (and that also fills a major need).

    We took the first OL in the draft, and how often do you have that opportunity? So, this has to be a good thing.

    You can't coach athleticism or footwork.... he can run block and protect the edge.... we hope he works on everything else.

    He genuinely appears to be humble and wants to work.... a grinder with toughness.... at the end of the day, other than Foster, Watt, or the DT from UCLA.... there wasn't a prospect I would've wanted more anyway.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,416
    I don't mind getting Bolles as much as I mind where we got him.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    The pick bothered me bc I prefer to play it safely.... Missing on a first round pick (a top 20 selection) is a killer....
    There's just too many red flags to justify the pick, for me....

    But.... I don't get paid to make these decisions and I'm not privy to the info they have.... so what did i know.

    Truth is Bolles was supposedly the second name on their big board, behind only McCaffrey.

    We tried to trade for McCaffrey, and even Joe Thomas.

    Then, at 20, we settled for BPA (and that also fills a major need).

    We took the first OL in the draft, and how often do you have that opportunity? So, this has to be a good thing.

    You can't coach athleticism or footwork.... he can run block and protect the edge.... we hope he works on everything else.

    He genuinely appears to be humble and wants to work.... a grinder with toughness.... at the end of the day, other than Foster, Watt, or the DT from UCLA.... there wasn't a prospect I would've wanted more anyway.
    except why try again, on draft day no less? The Browns were never going to give a good price for Thomas. Them having multiple picks in the first gives them all the cards for that trade.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I don't mind getting Bolles as much as I mind where we got him.
    A lot of cry babies here. Bolles is a starter from day 1 and is mean and nasty. Ty is a soft buttecup; they're entirely two different players. Bolles would NOT have been available tomorrow. The giants and Seahawks were both looking at him as a late first rounder. You want Cam from alabama? The dude just got arrested on gun and weed charges. No thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •