Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 182

Thread: Bolles

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,844
    I believe Elway felt he had more freedom to go best player available when Peyton Manning was around. With Manning, you already have a contender even if there's a piece missing here and there. Elway felt comfortable drafting a backup edge rusher and a backup cornerback, improving the depth of areas of strength. We never had a great right tackle with Manning for example, but Manning was so good in the pocket that the team could overcome that deficiency.

    Now that Manning is gone and the Broncos are not a playoff team anymore, Elway must feel he has to take care of the key holes to have a chance. Look at the two 1st-round picks since Manning retired: Elway went after a QB because Brock left in free agency and now he took a left tackle because he could not replace Okung properly during free agency.

    These recent 1st-round picks (Lynch, Bolles) look much more like needs, picks to fill obvious holes, compared to other picks that looked like best player available even if the team had bigger needs elsewhere.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I keep seeing this would be available in round 2. Do you have anything to back this up because everything I've been seeing is the Seahawks attempted to trade up to grab him.

    So if we didn't draft him he was gone by 26 which is still in the first.



    As far as the passing on linebackers I believe they probably like who we have and have never drafted them high always getting them in the later rounds. Plus foster had that shoulder and none of us know what everyone else saw that made them pass on him.
    Meh, there were a few articles that said the seahawks 'might' move pre-draft but then there were equally as many articles that had us moving up to number 5 overall to take McCaffrey. Regardless, we could have taken a LB or DE which are both positions of need and a higher impact player at 20 and still got a tackle in the second that would have the same impact Bolles would. maybe Elway likes who we have at ILB but i sure dont. Teams took advantage of us down the middle all season long last year and unless we address that issue we are going to have the same problem this year.

    With regards to Foster, SF got a steal. Teams passed on Foster because of the urine sample and issues with him not being invited to the draft.
    Lets see who has more impact on their respective teams next season out of Foster and Bolles.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Yes, Bolles was rated as one of the best OTs this year, in one of the weakest classes for OLs ever. Using how high he was ranked in a weak class for OTs is like saying Grumpy is a good draft pick for the Nuggets because he's the tallest dwarf.

    I agree that we need to spend high picks on the OL. It's just that this wasn't the year to do it.
    No doubt this was one of the weakest offensive line classes in recent history, maybe ever. There was no elite tackle option in this draft and the defensive talent at the top end was unreal this year. However even in a year with elite tackle prospects, Garett Bolles is still worthy of a low first round grade, as is Ramczyk, Robinson and Lamp. This myth that in any other year they would be late 2nd and 3rd rounders was regurgitated non stop leading up to the draft and it continues now we have actually drafted a tackle, and it makes no sense.

    Lets look at NFL.com Draft Tracker Grading System to see where Garett Bolles would have probably fit in over the last 2 years, both of which were considered strong offensive line classes.

    Garett Bolles came in rated tied for the second best tackle prospect with a 6.0 grade, a grade based on the players talent and not where they stack up in the draft compared to other prospects.

    In the 2016 NFL Draft there were 7 offensive lineman picked in the first round. Of these players 4 were graded lower than Garett Bolles was. Taylor Decker (5.9) 16th overall pick, Joshua Garnett (5.8) 28th overall pick, Ryan Kelly (5.8) 18th overall pick, and German Ifedi (5.8) 31st overall pick.

    In the 2015 NFL Draft there were 7 offensive lineman picked in the first round. Of these players 3 were graded lower than Garrett Bolles was. Cedric Ogbuehi (5.9) 21st overall pick, Cameron Erving (5.8) 19th overall pick, and Laken Tomlinson (5.6) 28th overall pick.

    Garett Bolles would of fit into any other draft in the same area he was projected in this one. Anywhere from 16-32 and the grade comparison and where guys have been drafted in previous years shows this. I think a lot of people have not actually watched anything of Bolles and are going off the intelligence, age and the fact tackle is a boring pick. Bolles has talent, Bolles fits a need, and Bolles is a Bronco, I like the pick.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Yes, Bolles was rated as one of the best OTs this year, in one of the weakest classes for OLs ever. Using how high he was ranked in a weak class for OTs is like saying Grumpy is a good draft pick for the Nuggets because he's the tallest dwarf.

    I agree that we need to spend high picks on the OL. It's just that this wasn't the year to do it.
    And last year was considered a weak qb class and one picked in the 4th round had the best rookie season for a qb in nfl history. I get what you're saying and feel this pick might be a reach but I don't take too much stock into what pundits say. There is a lot to like about Bolles game and from the sounds of it, he can really develop.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Not overly please with this pick. This isn't even me being mean to him, this is the honest truth of it all...We drafted an o-lineman with a mental disability (he said so himself) who scored a 9 on the wonderlic and was the most penalized collegiate o-linemen last year.

    I still have faith Ty will win the job, if he does, maybe we can move this guy around or be depth. For him to not be a waste of a pick, at ripe old age of 25 he needs to make an immediate impact...

    Not thrilled with this one at all, but we'll see what training camp brings and hope I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time)
    We are not asking him to design the next B2 Bomber. QBs have got scores that low on the Wonderlic. Fighters are not known for their test scoring skills ability but they win because of their determination and hard work. Like some have already said, this guy has a nasty disposition and his athleticism allows the Broncos use him in the run game by opening up lanes down field. He has an attitude that if you take away his starting position you are taking food out of his baby's mouth.

    As far as a mental disability, that is a pretty broad phrase. If it is Dyslexia is considered a learning disability, symptoms are are going to be low test scores but there are a lot of famous dyslexics that are geniuses! I am not saying he is a genius but mental disability doesn't automatically mean "stupid". Not sure if ADD and ADHD falls into that category.

    Oh, BTW Dyslexia has nothing to do with seeing numbers/letters backwards. I know because I have it and my son has it. I didn't know what it really was until I learned about it because of my son. In short, it is about the path to speak the word of a pattern of characters (words), for dyslexics that path is blocked and we have to find a new path which is why it takes us longer to read books (and tests). We may learn slower but once we learn something we learn it well, probably because we've had to work so hard to get where others it is much easier. See the link I added above and you'd be surprised who is dyslexic. Sorry for this off-topic tangent.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,851
    We was unfortunate enough to need a LT in a draft year when there was a poor selection. As a run blocker he will do fine but as a pass blocker, he will need lots of work. Oh well, he is a Bronco now and I will root for him to do great! Now move on! What time does day two start? Who do you want John do draft?

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    11 Western+Texas on 18 wheels
    Posts
    6,958
    Quote Originally Posted by olgrouch View Post
    [/B]
    Just curious, what makes you think they didn't try to trade back. Trades take two participants, you know.
    I think her point was that Cleveland was a possible trade partner, given that they moved back into the first round.

    I like the pick, based on what is being said about the guy. However, it seems like there may have been better choices available.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlands View Post
    I like the selection as well. He is opening day starter potential. Fills a void, and now has the maturity to be vital out of the box. Fingers crossed. Elway knows the game better than I do.
    I disagree. HE may have many of the needed skills to be a starter but like most of these OT's in this years draft they all need time to progress and learn the NFL style offenses. There will also be a huge need for him to bulk up. Strength and conditioning will likely also be an issue for him. He will need to go up against Houston, Bosa & Mack - twice a year I might add. I hope he can progress at a very quick pace and that he does start and soon but if you're looking at BPA when we picked at 20 - R.Foster was by far that player. I think for me this pick wouldn't have been so bad if we had moved back into the 1st at 30-32 to nab Foster. The value of a player like him at that spot in the 1st round is just insane.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeGees View Post
    Well Elway blew it, sort of. Jarrad Davis was still on the board and so was Cam Robinson. Bolles was the worst of the three/foyur 1st rd OTs on the board and we took him.
    I disagree that Bolles was the worst. I just question if Bolles is truly a fit for the blocking scheme McCoy generally uses. If memory serves he is/was the best run blocker of the three OT's. Now we can argue all day if we feel that will translate to the same stats at the NFL level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    Elway hasn't drafted well on offense in so many years sometimes I really wonder what he's doing. This was horrible pick they were so much better talent on the board at 20.
    The one word which I keep remembering from Elway is value. When we traded up for Lynch & Ray that was a word he used. I like the Bolles pick but not relative to the value which was on the board.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    5,782
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    When you consider Jonathan Allen was still there at 17, Foster and Davis still on the board this pick is questionable at best. Sure we need OLine help but we also need help in the middle and stopping the run. Defense wins championships and there was waaaaaay too much talent left on the board for elway to pick Sambrailo 2.0. who wouldve been there in Round 2. His drafting ability is really not great IMO and this draft now has me scared. Maybe im the only one who thinks we need more defense because after all, thats what won us SB 50.
    If your talking about the ilbs you realize our starting lbs during the super bowl was trevathan a 6th round pick and a young free agent Brandon Marshall. Neither where high round picks. Yet we have to invest high in a ilb when we keep hitting on late round picks why?

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,679
    Interestingly the Bolles pick graded out at a C on NFL.com. Not saying that is anything to go by but it is graded as the second worst pick in the draft at this point. The only other teams that graded a C were teams without a 1st round pick haha

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If your talking about the ilbs you realize our starting lbs during the super bowl was trevathan a 6th round pick and a young free agent Brandon Marshall. Neither where high round picks. Yet we have to invest high in a ilb when we keep hitting on late round picks why?
    Sure occassionally you hit in the later rounds. Does that mean that we should continue to spend a 6th round or lower on the ILB position??
    If every team followed that blueprint then Patriots would only take QB's in Round 6.

    You 'should' draft as the board falls. There was a TON of talent left on the board at positions of need. Hell, i wouldnt have minded trading up 2-3 spots and grabbing Allen or Howard. Both players who you'd guarantee will still be on the team in 5 years. Bolles is a project nothing more.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If your talking about the ilbs you realize our starting lbs during the super bowl was trevathan a 6th round pick and a young free agent Brandon Marshall. Neither where high round picks. Yet we have to invest high in a ilb when we keep hitting on late round picks why?
    lets trade all our 1-4 for 5th to 7th right? our current QB os a 7th. who needs 1-4th rounders, not us.

    Anyways, Well sometime you gotta Need pick even if hes no where near the best left. At least it answer the question, "Does Elway pick the beat play or does he pick need?" hope he works out

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    5,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronoless View Post
    lets trade all our 1-4 for 5th to 7th right? our current QB os a 7th. who needs 1-4th rounders, not us.

    Anyways, Well sometime you gotta Need pick even if hes no where near the best left. At least it answer the question, "Does Elway pick the beat play or does he pick need?" hope he works out
    He was a need in the range he was suppose to go. May have not been Reuben foster but our ilb situation is not in a bad spot with improved line play we have no issues there I trust Marshall and Davis starting next season

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    He was a need in the range he was suppose to go. May have not been Reuben foster but our ilb situation is not in a bad spot with improved line play we have no issues there I trust Marshall and Davis starting next season
    Marshall is slightly above average but his play is inflated due to the talent around him. Davis is average.
    Jarrad Davis or Reuben Foster on our defense would have solidified the middle for years to come and kept our defense top 5 which is afterall, what won us SB 50 in the first place.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,844
    It will be funny if the Broncos get good play at the LT position and then we can read these posts again.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •