Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Day 3 Targets ?

Day 3 Targets ?

Yesterday was a very interesting day with some ups and downs with differing opinions on the picks John Elway made. I personally have been a fan of this draft up until we picked Brendan Langley. I am not a fan of picking players based solely off of potential inside the first 3 rounds of the draft. I feel like in the first 3 rounds you should be able to get starting quality players or difference makers, and I don't think Brendan Langley will be that anytime soon, if at all. It was a risky pick however we will see, apparently Vance Joseph is great with defensive backs so he obviously seen something in him.

Anyway, as bad as John Elway has been at drafting on day 2, day 3 is where he has really found some gems and real difference makers over the years. The list includes Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Matt Paradis, Max Garcia, Trevor Siemian, Devonte Booker and Riley Dixon. Hopefully this year he manages to strike on a few more and somehow turns them three 7th rounders into an earlier pick because I really don't see three 7th round players making the final roster. Who do you want to see picked ?

Defensive Line

We already added a solid prospect with DeMarcus Walker however there are some falling players along the defensive line who could really help us. Character concerns surround a couple of the guys however I think coming into a defensive locker room like Denver has, they will know there place and if they get out of line, I would imagine Ward and Talib would be letting them know.

Caleb Brantley

Compact frame with lean muscle mass and thickness in his arms and legs. Has tremendous play strength and can dislodge guards with hip torque. Plays hungry and with passion. Able to plant his flag and stand his ground against double teams. When he gets the snap timed up, it's over. Has the initial quickness and play strength to get into the gap and plow through any and all redirect block attempts. Wants blocker to feel the power in his initial punch. Works off blocks and towards the play. Better pass rusher talent than sack total would indicate. Quick punch and pry opens blockers' edge allowing him to wedge into the pocket. Efficient mover with no wasted motion. Considers one-on-one blocks a sign of disrespect.
    D.J. Jones

Has a big bubble and plays with a wide base. Outrageous weight room strength with monster numbers in clean, bench, and squat. Plays low and fires upward strikes to elevate the blocker's center of gravity. Has the play strength to rip through an edge once he gets to it. Has quick hands and is nice with the swim move. Has necessary play traits to be an effective rusher in the twist game. Rare reactive athleticism and short-area lateral quickness for an interior player. Extended tackle radius allows him to close out running lanes away from his gap. Keeps hounding runners down the field for the tackle. Instinctive and quickly sniffs out screen passes. Very rarely on ground.
    Jarron Jones

Former high school basketball player with exciting athletic traits. Able to pursue with quickness in space. Has foot quickness to change direction and extend his tackle radius. Arms are like tentacles that go on and on. Length advantage can be a nightmare for centers who line up against him. Lateral quickness opens doors into backfield as a penetrator. Can be a disruptive force on the other side of the line. Has explosiveness out of stance and up the field as a pass rusher. Combines early explosiveness with rare length to generate pocket push. Frequently a nose, but has the tool box and traits to play three- or five-technique as a pro. Has dominant potential if hand usage and pad level can be coached out of him. Has blocked four kicks during his injury-shortened career at Notre Dame.

Offensive Line

There are some real quality players left along the offensive line, more so at guard but I see a couple of guys who could genuinely compete with Garcia, Stephenson and Schofield for the other starting guard spot on whichever side that Ronald Leary is not playing on.

Dorian Johnson

Five-star prospect coming out of high school, Johnson was a full-time starter for three years at Pitt and was known for his consistency and well-rounded game. He has functional power to turn defenders out of the hole and enough athleticism to match any run-game scheme. Johnson doesn't carry bad weight and should be able to add more bulk with no problem. While he has some weaknesses, nothing appears to be glaring and he should set into a starter's role right away and become a solid NFL guard.
    Julie'n Davenport

Possesses elite arm length and hand size for the position. Can unravel his arms and stick them into the chest of a frustrated edge rusher. Able to gain necessary ground to race to the edge over first two kick slides. Keeps head back and out of pass sets when he punches. Team leader and two-year captain. Good strength in hands to snatch and secure the frame of defenders. Has adequate athleticism to reach and hook the edge. Able to get out in space as pulling tackle or on screens. Has moldable physical traits to work with.
    Issac Asiata

Big body for the interior. Adds roster flexibility. Has played both guard spots and can play center if needed. Plays with outstanding aggression on the field. Doesn't just look for extra work, he demands it. Hard worker. Gives maximum effort to take the lead in early portion of a block. Effective lateral skip step puts him in position to make his reach blocks. Rarely gets cheated on initial contact, landing powerful shoulders that jar defenders. Has power to uproot defenders in base blocks. Sets shallow anchor in pass pro against bull rushers. Has reactive quickness to handle blitzes and twists.
    Zach Banner

Massive man with good upper-body strength. Has length and girth to overwhelm smaller opponents. Able to withstand a bull rush thanks to enormous frame. Powerful road-grader who blasts holes open as down-blocker and generates movement with his base blocks. Leverage not always necessary to produce push at point of attack. Won't find him on the ground much. Decent athlete for his size. Functional combo blocker. Initial kick-slide is fairly smooth. Can make life miserable for pass rushers when he latches strong hands into their frame. Could play right tackle but would need help against edge speed. Balance and redirect are adequate.
    Damien Mama

Big boy with NFL frame. Good posture in his pass sets with hands in punch-ready position in front of his chest, knees bent and back flat. Punch is as stiff as a boxing jab. Uncorks hands early and lands with force behind maximum arm extension. Anchors against bull rushers with adequate knee-bend and can slow their charge. Has dropped about 75 pounds since coming to USC. With less weight has come more lateral quickness to reach and sustain in space. Skip-pull steps are clean and is able to work long and short pulls. Adequate radar in space to find and make second-level blocks.
    Nico Sirugusa

Compact, girthy frame with thickly muscled arms. Low center of gravity with adequate hip bend to unlock power. Strong core. Able to scoop under defenders and root them out. Drive blocker with strength to win individual battles. Better-than-expected maneuverability when asked to pull. Able to redirect his weight. Has anchor to pass-set at shallow depths and handle bull rushers. Showed a little more nasty in his game as a senior than he did in junior season. Great in the locker room and well liked.

Tight End

I am glad we didn't reach for a tight end in the first three rounds. This draft runs deep with tight ends and day 3 will be the day to get a quality player at that position. Everyone loves the pass catching guys but I want someone who is at least willing to try and block.

Jeremy Sprinkle

Combination tight end who doesn't have to leave the field. Has arm length and base to help in pass protection. Effective blocker willing to do the physical work. Snaps into down blocks and secures. Strong hands lead to sustained blocks. Able to engage and sustain against safeties in space. Long frame with room to carry more weight. Has arm length and hand size of an NFL offensive tackle. Big, presentable target over the middle. Plus red-zone worker. Sells blocks on delayed-release play-action. Burrows into holes of zone and protects passes with his frame. Goes down to pick low throws off top of grass. Sneaky build-up of speed in routes. Long strides eat up ground as route progresses. Can pull away from linebackers on intermediate routes. Uses height, arm length, and high-point technique to go way up the ladder and over top of defenders. Nasty stiff-arm after catch. Above-average body control for size.
    Bucky Hodges

Outstanding combination of size and athleticism for the position. Smooth glider around the field. Runs fast and plays fast. Long target with extended catch radius. Can get up and over the top of most defenders at the high point. Willing to work over the middle and has the frame for it. Spent time at all receiver spots and could be an option from the slot as well as outside as a pro. Seam-beater who can get over top of linebackers and work all three levels of the field. Saw 28 percent of his catches go for 20-plus yards in 2016. Can access a second gear out of route stems. Once he stacks defender on his hip, he wins. Excellent ball tracker with second gear and hand usage for late separation down the field. Former quarterback with valuable knowledge of coverages. Will demand additional attention if covered by a cornerback near goal line. Shows strength to overwhelm defensive backs as a blocker.
    Michael Roberts

When he catches the ball, it matters. Has had over 80 percent of his career catches go for first downs and this season saw 35.5 percent of his catches go for touchdowns (16). Big target with gigantic hands. Quick to open and find the ball on stop routes. Plus body control to adjust and clamp down on throws outside his frame. Will continue to probe and adjust for openings against zone coverage. Very capable run blocker. Operates from strong base and utilizes lengths well. Sinks hips to brace up and neutralize defensive ends with leverage and uses hips and shoulder turn to steer out of the play. Has experience blocking from in-line and from wing spot.
    Jordan Leggett

Outstanding size for the position. Has experience playing in-line, from slot, and as a wingback. Former high school receiver with natural, confident hands to snatch throws out in front of him. Just two drops over final two college seasons. Desired foot quickness in tight quarters. Seam-buster in Clemson's offense. Has feel for finding the throw when working over top of linebackers between the hashes. Able to drop and dig out the low throws. Shows some ability to turn out edge linebackers when he puts his mind to it. Rises to the occasion, with big games against Florida State in 2015 and 2016 and another against Alabama in National Championship. Saw his yards-per-touch increase to 17.1 in 2016.

Running Back

Not a huge fan of many of the remaining running backs and don't see much value still available at the position. I think we could use a guy for competition and a game day active who could push Kapri Bibbs, Juwan Thompson and Bernard Pierce for that third running back spot. I am a big fan of Gallman and Williams could be good value if he falls like expected due to some character issues.

Wayne Gallman

Has quality burst through line of scrimmage to rip through arm tackles and attack the second level. Runs with plus effort every time he touches the ball. Keeps feet grinding through second level contact. Uses shoulders as legitimate weapons of force against would-be tacklers. Creates additional yards through functional wiggle. Good outside-in cuts to defeat contain. Angular runner with build-up speed to win a race around the edge. Hard charging. Trusted option on fourth and short situations. Decisive in the red zone and brings some attitude with him. Finished with 28 rushing touchdowns over last two seasons. Strong second effort near the goal line when his initial charge is stopped. Will offer some help as pass catcher.
    Joe Williams

Plus athlete. Has get-away burst in small spaces. Flashes breakaway speed to take it to the house if he gets up to the safeties. Sudden second gear to turn the corner or accelerate through line of scrimmage. Carries weight in his lower half, allowing for unique contact balance. Able to recover from hits that bring most runners down. Runs feet through initial contact and blows through arm tackles. Makes defenders earn their tackles and is hard to bring down. Can create with wiggle and power. Has lateral shuffle of a basketball player to slink out of traffic jams and escape outside. Can string moves together on second and third levels. Lowers pads to finish runs with momentum.

I would like to see Bucky Hodges for sure, if not him Leggett would be fine also.

As long as it's more OL & DL....don't care who....let'em all battle it out and may the best players stick. I do like the idea of kicking the tires on both Barnidge and Charles.

I would be super happy if Elway drafted Samaje Perine and Jordan Legget today

Some others: Carl Lawson, Edge, Auburn,
    Jaleel Johnson, DL, Iowa
    Desmond King, DB, Iowa
    Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming
    Corn Elder, CB, Miami
    Nico Siragusa, OG, San Diego St.
    Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida St.
    Marlon Mack, RB, USF

Then you have Kaaya, Peterman, and Dobbs at QB. All of which have some upside. Kaaya and Dobbs I have watched full games of and are intriguing.
    Last edited by SeNEBronco; 04-29-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Guys I'd like today. Dorian Johnson, Jake Butt, and Brian Hill.

I like Bucky Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Guys I'd like today. Dorian Johnson, Jake Butt, and Brian Hill.
    Forgot about Jake Butt. That would be a steal also.

Holy crap, i forgot about brian hill. One of my favorite rb in this class when you think talent to draft value.

I think 4-5th round are the last picks we might target guys with a legit shot at making the roster everything else is pretty much the same as a udfa. But every now and again we always get that late round pick or udfa that shows out in camp and earns his keep.

A short list for me

DL- Caleb Brantley jarron Jones tanziel smart.

RB- tarik Cohen and Jeremy mcnichols

TE-bucky Hodges and Micheal Roberts

OL-Isaac asiata that one guy from Texas I liked while watching foreman and julen davenport.

LB-jalon reeves-maybin is gonna be an absolute steal I dont care if we draft 5 kickers today as long as we get this guy. Ben Gideon.

CU's Josh Tupou? Probably not a 3 down player? But might be worth a 6th or 7th.