Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bibb's to the 49ers

In exchange for a 2018 4round draft pick.
    Damn proud to be a Phi! Brother in the Bond #105 Texas Tau

No way, deal of the century if true

It worked out great....We got the guy they were reported targeting (Butt) and got the '18 4th. What a deal.....Glad Bibbs gets a chance in SF too

Later, Kapri...
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Given the 49ers current situation with a new coach, new GM, etc and coupled with the fact that they did not draft their "franchise" QB this year, I could see San Fran struggling once again in 2017, heck they probably won't need to even try but dare I say they may be in "tank" mode as there are definitely some "franchise" QBs coming on the pike, next year's class looks really strong (Sam Darnlod, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning). Not sure all those guys will come out as some are still underclassmen, but you get the idea so that 4th round pick would likely be at the very top of the round making it even more valuable.

I'm definitely not a fan of losing Kapri. In the very short time he was healthy and in the rotation, he was one of our best backs. Hopefully he lights it up in SF
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

If they sign Jamaal Charles tomorrow he wouldn't have made the team anyways to you get a draft pick (most likely at the top of the round) is a great move.

Rotoworld called the the Kapri Bibbs trade on the part of the 49ers, "the worst move any team made during the draft" which is somewhat surprising given what the Bears paid in order to move up one spot to select QB Trubisky:

San Francisco 49ers

1 (3). Stanford DL Solomon Thomas
    1 (31). Alabama ILB Reuben Foster
    3 (66). Colorado CB Ahkello Witherspoon
    3 (104). Iowa QB C.J. Beathard
    4 (121). Utah RB Joe Williams
    5 (146). Iowa TE George Kittle
    5 (177). Louisiana Tech WR Trent Taylor
    6 (198). Ole Miss DT D.J. Jones
    6 (202). Utah LB Pita Taumoepenu
    7 (229). Miami (FL) DB Adrian Colbert

Overview: Rookie GM John Lynch deserves praise for stealing pick Nos. 67 and 111, plus a 2018 third-rounder from the Bears in Thursday’s one-spot drop from No. 2 to 3. On the other hand, Lynch did not deserve as much praise as he received for his trade up for Foster, an undersized off-ball linebacker with major medical and off-field concerns who didn’t force a single turnover in his college career. Foster may need a second rotator cuff surgery, costing him a large chunk of his rookie year. Witherspoon is long and athletic, but so contact averse that his NFL transition could prove an uphill climb. The Niners acquired the Saints’ 2018 second-round pick for No. 67. For reasons entirely unbeknownst, Lynch traded up for near-non-prospect Beathard late in round three. Scatback Williams ran 4.41 at the Combine. He also retired last year, can’t catch, and cost the 49ers pick No. 161 for a 22-spot fourth-round jump. Trading a 2018 fourth-round pick for Broncos special teamer/fourth-string RB Kapri Bibbs was the worst move any team made during the draft. Blocking TE Kittle and scrappy slot WR Taylor were worthwhile day-three picks. Jones, Taumoepenu, and Colbert were not. This draft was okay, not great as it was initially billed to be by Lynch’s media friends. The talent-poor 49ers have an extremely long way to go.

Grade: C+

Im shocked Witherspoon lasted until the third. Sure he avoids contact but so did Deion Sanders and so does DRC. Witherspoon only allowed 26.5% of passes to be completed on him. He broke up 23 total targets. His coverage skills were insane last year

Quote Originally Posted by sendacash View Post
    Given the 49ers current situation with a new coach, new GM, etc and coupled with the fact that they did not draft their "franchise" QB this year, I could see San Fran struggling once again in 2017, heck they probably won't need to even try but dare I say they may be in "tank" mode as there are definitely some "franchise" QBs coming on the pike, next year's class looks really strong (Sam Darnlod, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning). Not sure all those guys will come out as some are still underclassmen, but you get the idea so that 4th round pick would likely be at the very top of the round making it even more valuable.
    There is no way they bring in a new coach with new staff to tank the team so they can get a high draft pick. My guess is there are far too many people that love the sport and care about their careers to "tank" the team. Tanking may happen without planning for it anyway and even if the FO is looking to next year's draft, they'd be smarter to give Shanahan and the staff a longer leash in the chance he can make something of it than to force him into a position to lose.

As for the OP, thanks Bibbs. Good luck

John Lynch is still putting the Broncos first.

Will always appreciate his effort for the 2005 campaign

Bibbs is going to a zone-blocking scheme and will be coached by the great Bobby Turner. It's a great opportunity for him.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

"Trading a 2018 fourth-round pick for Broncos special teamer/fourth-string RB Kapri Bibbs was the worst move any team made during the draft." And the OP only acknowledged the 49ers giving a 4th round next year.
    To be accurate the Broncos gave up Bibbs AND a 5th round pick from this year. It depends on what Bibbs does for them but the 49ers did not make "the worst move by any team" ... if Bibbs contributes it is not a bad deal. I didn't like it from the Broncos perspective but I am bias as a CSU/Bibbs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    "Trading a 2018 fourth-round pick for Broncos special teamer/fourth-string RB Kapri Bibbs was the worst move any team made during the draft." And the OP only acknowledged the 49ers giving a 4th round next year.
    To be accurate the Broncos gave up Bibbs AND a 5th round pick from this year. It depends on what Bibbs does for them but the 49ers did not make "the worst move by any team" ... if Bibbs contributes it is not a bad deal. I didn't like it from the Broncos perspective but I am bias as a CSU/Bibbs fan.
    Denver's fifth was #177. What will San Francisco's fourth be next year? It might turn out to be a round and a half earlier. Denver drafted DeAngelo Henderson and signed Jamaal Charles. Given that set of circumstances, Kapri might find it hard to make the team if he was still in Denver. Trading back with Cleveland produced two fifth round picks which turned into Jake Butt and Isaiah McKenzie, so I think turned out OK.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Denver's fifth was #177. What will San Francisco's fourth be next year? It might turn out to be a round and a half earlier. Denver drafted DeAngelo Henderson and signed Jamaal Charles. Given that set of circumstances, Kapri might find it hard to make the team if he was still in Denver. Trading back with Cleveland produced two fifth round picks which turned into Jake Butt and Isaiah McKenzie, so I think turned out OK.
    I actually should've said that I didn't like the deal - from MY perspective as a Bronco fan - when it was made but after the entire draft was done my dislike wasn't as bad. And I just like seeing how Bibbs was going to turn out in the NFL, easy to do when he was a Bronco.
    Yes, we did get Charles which may have been part of the thought process when we made the deal - they would pursue Charles since they no longer have Bibbs?
    If we still had Bibbs would we still have pursued Charles?
    Mainly I was pointing out that the deal was not just straight up a 4th round next year for Bibbs. The 49ers 4th next season could be fairly high but my crystal ball isn't good for that far into the future.