Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Irellevant

Mr. Irellevant

I have been trying to find any stats or info on if there has ever been a player selected last in the draft who has been either a HOFER or been a multi pro bowl player...

Thought this was relevant here since we're about to pick him.

Since the NFL draft was cut to its current seven-round format in 1994, players presented with this dubious honor have more often succeeded in making the team that drafted them, with significant contributions on the field.

Special teams player Marty Moore became the first Mr. Irrelevant to play in a Super Bowl, with the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI.[3]
    Mike Green played a significant role in the Chicago Bears secondary in the 2000s, and played from 2000 to 2008.[4]
    Jim Finn was a fullback for the New York Giants on their victory in Super Bowl XLII. Prior to the 2007 season, Finn was placed on the Injured Reserve, and never played a game for the Giants on their road to the Super Bowl, having been replaced by Madison Hedgecock. Prior to 2007, he had been the Giants fullback for four seasons.[5]
    2008 winner David Vobora was a starting linebacker for the St. Louis Rams during the 2009 season.[5]
    2009 winner Ryan Succop became the starting kicker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He went on to tie the NFL record for highest field goal percentage by a rookie in a season with 86.2%, and also passed NFL Hall of Famer Jan Stenerud for most field goals made by a rookie in Chiefs history. Succop was awarded the Mack Lee Hill Award that year.[6] He has been the starting kicker since his rookie season making 81.5% of his field goals and a perfect 100% on extra points. Succop moved on to the Tennessee Titans for the 2014 season.
    One "Mr. Irrelevant" (who actually predated the award by nearly a decade) went on to a productive professional career in another sport. Jimmy Walker was the final pick in 1967 despite never having played college football. His main sport, however, was basketball, in which he was a consensus All-American and the nation's leading scorer as a senior at Providence College. Walker was the first pick in the 1967 NBA Draft, and opted for a career in the NBA.[7]
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

Wow QB Chad Kelly 2017 version....
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

Egomaniac Chad Kelly is now Mr. relevant for the Denver Broncos I actually like it.

Very talented kid but has a list of psychological issues such as too much passion because he wants wanted to storm the field when his younger brother was in a fight? Can't hate on him for that one

Another incident consisted of a picture surfaced of Kelly Rolling a marijuana joint? I still can't hate on him for that one there's worse things that people have done and if this kid can amount to a pretty good NFL quarterback I say hrs well worth the pick.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-29-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I was watching an interesting show called Sports Science and this was the Combine edition. They showed athletic metrics on players that exceeded other top athletes in the NFL. I guess you might call some of these players sleepers even though some are popular, many are outside the top four or five that you keep hearing about.

They test Chad Kelly and this is what his skills showed.

Chad Kelly Skills Results Summary
    Considered the best arm in the draft as far as accuracy.
    At 10 yards throwing threw target circles he was 19/19 and was 10/10 from 15 yards a Sports Science record
    His numbers after all the tests are the highest in all QBs tested in the last 6 years.

I think he is great choice for a 7th round pick!
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

Kelly is a good QB. It wouldn't surprise me if he is starting before season is out.
    ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

This has to be the most high-profile Mr. Irrelevant in NFL history, surely?

I was just watching some of his stuff and how the heck did this guy make it all the way to the end. He sure looks like he could easily be a starting QB. I would work on him to stay in the pocket more but his arm strength and accuracy looks pretty darn good.

This could be a great pickup.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    Kelly is a good QB. It wouldn't surprise me if he is starting before season is out.
    Oh man, lets chill

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Oh man, lets chill
    It's not like we have an entrenched proven QB....

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Let's hope he can turn his character around, dropping 3 or 4 rounds because of character issues a pretty big deal. He could have easily not been drafted at all, seeing as how he's Mr. Irrelevant. In about two seasons I can see him leading this team to some major victories.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Haha. That's funny.

Now, if you would have said that it wouldn't surprise you if Kelly became the #2 QB back up Lynch, relegating Siemian to 3rd string, I would have taken you more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    It's not like we have an entrenched proven QB....
    If you think a 7th round rookie QB coming off an ACL tear will ever start over a 2nd year 1st round pick (barring injury), I got some beach front property in Arizona to sell you. If Siemian is out of the picture Lynch will be given every opportunity this year.

That would mean our season was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    If you think a 7th round rookie QB coming off an ACL tear will ever start over a 2nd year 1st round pick (barring injury), I got some beach front property in Arizona to sell you. If Siemian is out of the picture Lynch will be given every opportunity this year.
    It's a long season and a lot can happen before the end....Last year, Kelly and Lynch were on par with each other in predraft talk....and Lynch didn't look super great out there when he had his limited chances. This QB competition is a 3 way battle....and it's anyones job to win. Yes, coming off an injury will sure hurt but he could catch up by mid season. Stranger things have happened.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury