Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Initial draft grades

First, yes I know some think that draft grades are worthless. That's fine. I'm just doing this for fun.

1st round- Garrett Bolles. B-

Initially, I was very disappointed in this pick. I mean, we could have gotten O.J. Howard or Reuben Foster. Instead we get an older, raw LT. On second thought, the upside is so high and the need was so great, I understand this pick. After all, he does have athleticism, a good attitude, and is a nasty blocker.

2nd round- DeMarcus Walker B+

Really like this pick. This guy isn't the most athletically gifted, but he's incredibly productive and has a non stop motor. From what I've heard he sounds like a good leader, too.

3rd round- Carlos Henderson B+

Also like this pick. A tough, productive, speedy WR. Hopefully he immediately becomes our 3rd WR. Adds juice to an offense that needs it.

3rd round- Brendan Langley C

Ok. Seems to be the least favorite of all our picks. A reach? Maybe. Upside? Definitely. Learning from the best, however.

5th round- Jake Butt B

Another good pick. Not a freak athlete by any means, but a smart, productive player. Also a steal considering where he might have been drafted without the ACL injury.

5th round- Isaiah McKenzie C

Clearly Elway was determined to get more electricity from the return game. McKenzie surely brings that, but what else? Hopefully McCoy will think of some plays for this guy.

6th round- De'Angelo Henderson B-

Amazing production. He's speedy and powerful. Solid addition to our RB corps

7th round- Chad Kelly A

I absolutely love this pick. You're getting a guy with high round talent with the last pick in the draft. Absolutely no risk at all with tremendous upside.

Overall, I'll give this draft a solid B. We filled multiple holes and added some much needed spark to our offense and special teams.

Overall I agree with most of your grades. The only one I thinks is too low is McKenzie. I'd have given that a solid B. I think he has the potential to be an electric returner, something we haven't had in a long time.

Of course, this is all initial grades. College game tape is helpful, but in no way an accurate gage of what you will really get.

Overall, I think our special teams shows the most potential for improvement out of all three phases of the game based on this draft. We picked up some good situational/rotational players but they are also solid special teams contributors.

Some of these guys might not even make the final roster, especially the wide receivers. I think with new coaching, especially with McCoy, we'll be seeing a very very different offense. It'll be interesting to see which switches get flipped on and playmakers come out.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I have heard a lot of complaints about this draft and I don't agree with all the choices, but over all I like this draft. Under different circumstances, I think Walker, Butt (if not injured) and Kelly(off field problems & injuries) could have all deserved first round grades. A lot of talent in this draft and I think Mr. Elway & crew did a great job!

This is a C+ draft on paper

Old LT prospect who needs strength
    Rotational DE/3 tech
    3rd WR
    5th CB
    TE depth
    Gadget play/Returner
    RB depth
    No brain QB

I like the picks, but really we just improved a bunch of depth and got better on STs. The pick that most do not like, Langley, is the one guy I think can pull the grade up. Don't see any real stud starters in this group, but as a whole is okay because I see contributors.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    This is a C+ draft on paper

Old LT prospect who needs strength
    Rotational DE/3 tech
    3rd WR
    5th CB
    TE depth
    Gadget play/Returner
    RB depth
    No brain QB

I like the picks, but really we just improved a bunch of depth and got better on STs. The pick that most do not like, Langley, is the one guy I think can pull the grade up. Don't see any real stud starters in this group, but as a whole is okay because I see contributors.
    TE depth? Butt will be our starter once he gets back to full strength

I'm happy with this draft. We addressed glaring needs, and got some high upside players in the process.

Took care of tackle. Got a big play threat receiver to compliment the other two. FINALLY addressed the kick return situation. Finally got a pass catching tight end, who we don't have to cross our fingers and pray as to whether or not he'll be worth a damn. Got an upside project for our DB savvy coaching staff, and got one of the better DLine prospects in the draft. On top of that swapped Bibbs for a younger version, and got a pick out of it.

And don't forget the flier quarterback, who at worst could probably end up being Jay Cutler with a cheaper education.

As far as the players that we took are concerned, I'd give us a B to B+, overall. My only complaint, and it's nobody's fault but my own, were my "expectations". I consider this Draft to be a very conservative Draft. And after a pretty conservative Free Agency, I thought we would see some fireworks in the Draft. I was expecting, if not a "blockbuster" move, something really big. And although we evidently did try to move up at various times, I would assume that the price for those moves was just too high. Ultimately, "sticking to the plan" is the way you make incremental gains.

I like all the players we took, including the perceived "reach" for the Cornerback. Clearly, somebody with the Broncos knows something about that guy that the rest of us don't. And taking a tight end coming off the knee injury who was rated pretty high may not pay off this season, but may be a great grab for the future. Of course we won't know anything for quite sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by 58_VONDOOM_92 View Post
    TE depth? Butt will be our starter once he gets back to full strength
    Not sure I agree with this. I think people are underestimating Derby.

I find it facinating that we are all assuming that one or both of our WR draft picks are making this 53 man roster. I do not see it happening. And before people get all up in arms about that as a comment...we have precedent for that happening on our team.

I also don't see it as a given that one or both would beat out Raymond as either our slot guy or as our PR/KR.....

Lastly I don't see how it is a given that either of these two rookies could beat out Taylor or Fowler for that matter as our number 3 WR. Taylor being the better of the two -imo.

WR is a crowded position group on our team and we've basically already have two slots locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. I think people are underestimating Derby.
    They are underestimating Green,Derby and Jeff H for that matter. We also have or had 1 or two other TE' s who were signed (cannot recall the exact number) and I'd expect that we'd see some shuffling there...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Some of these guys might not even make the final roster, especially the wide receivers. I think with new coaching, especially with McCoy, we'll be seeing a very very different offense. It'll be interesting to see which switches get flipped on and playmakers come out.
    Receivers as in plural? Carlos is making the roster. Unless there's some sort of epic collapse of play by him in camp, the dude is going to be on the 53 man in September. McKenzie might not be a lock, though. I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Receivers as in plural? Carlos is making the roster. Unless there's some sort of epic collapse of play by him in camp, the dude is going to be on the 53 man in September. McKenzie might not be a lock, though. I'm not sure.
    Why is it such a shock that it could be a possibility that neither make it or only one does...

First off Raymond is entering into his 2nd year. Based on 40 times alone Raymond is the faster player. Then there is also no grantee that either of these two new WR'S can beat our Raymond at his 'natural' position of WR or slot WR...

I think Taylor has the skills to beat out a fowler for the 'bigger' WR option. So now you're looking at if these guys hold more value to Denver then Latimer....

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Receiver(s). Could be one that makes it, both, or none. With as many receivers that made our roster last season, our rookie WRs have their work cut out for them to earn their spot. Taylor, Fowler, Latimer and Raymond have all played with Siemian and Lynch, and earned a roster spot. Latimer was drafted and traded up for in the second, by draft value he has even more of a right to be on the roster, if your reasoning was that draft status earns a roster spot.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 04-29-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    They are underestimating Green,Derby and Jeff H for that matter. We also have or had 1 or two other TE' s who were signed (cannot recall the exact number) and I'd expect that we'd see some shuffling there...
    There are now eight of them: Butt, Derby, Green, Heuerman, Krieger-Coble, Lang, Scheu, Traylor
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus