Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,132
    Overall I like this draft. The grades given seem reasonable. The first thing that comes to mind with this draft is "potential". The big "IF" these players are able to develop the way we hope they can . "IF" they do this could be a great draft class for the Broncos.

    Thrilled with the Walker pick. Think many are underrating his impact. Young man is a player. Thrilled with the playmaking that both Hendersons add to the offense. McCoy must be giddy with the new parts of the playbook that just got opened.

    Like the Bolles, Butt and Kelly picks. All players that can be major contributors if they can develop or get healthy. Kelly is a huge talent with some major flaws. He will push the QB position with his mere inclusion to the meeting room. QB battle just got a whole lot more interesting.

    Langley and McKenzie are the longshots IMO. Both have interesting potential. If Joseph and Woods saw something in Lagley and he delivers it could be compelling. McKenzie seems to be a one trick pony return man. Is that enough to earn a roster spot, we shall see?

    Overall I love the competition that is being created. These drafted players all have the potential to have an impact but they immediately push others to be better too. Players like Gotsis, Sambrailo, Latimer , Booker and even Lynch certainly need to see these picks as a challenge to be better. Maybe even a slap in the face for a couple. Now up to them to respond.

    Going to be interesting to see who makes the roster and how the depth chart fills out. Nice job by Elway and the staff overall IMO.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 04-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    My biggest concern is we didn't address our Run defense. We need a tackle monster at ILB. Hopefully we are lookin for some in UDFAs.
    Three UDFA Backers have been signed.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Maybe i should invest in some icyhot stock here soon...
    Biofreeze ...
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by olgrouch View Post
    You said it all right there! McKensie at his size, he'll be lucky to survive his first season. The history of these small ultra quick and fast wr/pr/kr guys isn't very good. A couple of examples Tavon Austin, and that little pr guy we had a couple of years back. He ended up with as bad a case of the yip's as I've ever seen.
    Isaiah McKenzie is more sturdily put together than Khalif Raymond who survived last year as a Bronco.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,911
    OK then, pretty good looking draft, with what appears to be a lot of competition where we need some. Now the interesting other side, how much do the current guys want it? Are they going to rise to the occasion? I am not worried about many of them, like the proven vets. But I will be curious how some of the younger players take on the challenge. We are in a pretty competitive division, and we need to step it up a little. Perhaps the timing, with new coaches, will bring it all home!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    OK then, pretty good looking draft, with what appears to be a lot of competition where we need some. Now the interesting other side, how much do the current guys want it? Are they going to rise to the occasion? I am not worried about many of them, like the proven vets. But I will be curious how some of the younger players take on the challenge. We are in a pretty competitive division, and we need to step it up a little. Perhaps the timing, with new coaches, will bring it all home!
    This is why I like the draft, because it did fill the need areas we had. I don't think we ever look back on this one and say, "we killed it", but think it will make us more competitive.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    This is why I like the draft, because it did fill the need areas we had. I don't think we ever look back on this one and say, "we killed it", but think it will make us more competitive.
    Exactly! At this point we had to sacrifice for the most part "potential guys with average character". We needed some guys that will come in and shift our attitude and culture a bit. Even if it means their ceilings are lower than others. The edge they bring is exactly what our team needs right now. We've already got plenty of skill and talent on our team, we needed the other intangibles we were lacking last year.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,027
    Guy I am most excited about is Langley. First off our HC and DC are DB coaches by trade, so I trust this pick maybe a little more. But I believe the ceiling on this kid is sky high. He has speed, length, big mitts, ballhawking, and the size to be a true shut down CB. Love to see the 60 yard shuttle time too (2nd best at combine), shows he can sustain that speed and cover for a long time. If there is a pro bowler in this draft class, that is the guy I would bet on.

    Another prediction is De"Angelo is going to be a lot better as a pro than people think and would not surprise me at all if he is our lead back in 2018 and CJ is a cap casualty.

    We will see more explosive plays out of the WRs we got both on offense and ST, so this should help flip field position even an extra FG here and one less FG by the opposition is huge, need to flip the field more than we did and I think we got a couple guys to help do that.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Guy I am most excited about is Langley. First off our HC and DC are DB coaches by trade, so I trust this pick maybe a little more. But I believe the ceiling on this kid is sky high. He has speed, length, big mitts, ballhawking, and the size to be a true shut down CB. Love to see the 60 yard shuttle time too (2nd best at combine), shows he can sustain that speed and cover for a long time. If there is a pro bowler in this draft class, that is the guy I would bet on.

    Another prediction is De"Angelo is going to be a lot better as a pro than people think and would not surprise me at all if he is our lead back in 2018 and CJ is a cap casualty.

    We will see more explosive plays out of the WRs we got both on offense and ST, so this should help flip field position even an extra FG here and one less FG by the opposition is huge, need to flip the field more than we did and I think we got a couple guys to help do that.
    Disagree on your previous post. I actually do think this class has the potential to be Elways best class. And in general I think we might look back and say we killed it.

    I agree with you on the corner. But I think we're in the minority here on him, maybe? I also agree on the rb, sort of. Because Cj isn't a cap casualty if he's healthy over the next few years. That remains to be seen if it's possible, though. I admit.

    However, my best bet for a pro bowler is jake butt. The dude will be great for us if he stays healthy, I believe.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    23,911
    Chad Reuter of NFL N placed our draft in the bottom level of his ratings. We got a B. FTR, he gave Chicago the worst grade.

    Now, it's only one guy, and based on his perception.

    If I was to rate this draft, based on only what we know today, I would not give it an A. Why? Because on the surface, there are not for sure starters in the list. Of course there are no MG's, or Lattimore's or Howards. For one, we picked a little later than most. Two, we seemed to have stuck with a plan, to address need in our first picks. As has been mentioned, BPA is wonderful, but BPA in positon of need is the smart way to go, and is most often the case.

    We needed Oline and an upgrade on our Dline. We needed upgrades in special teams, and TE. We even landed a QB, for next to nothing, and who knows, this may be the best value pick we ever make!! We also used up some picks to create competition in some areas.

    I can see why it is not considered a great draft (at this point in time), but I can see the thought behind it. It was well planned. it recognized the need to up the calibre in key areas. Some will say why not Robinson or Ramczyk over Bolles, but that is semantics....personal preference. Some will say we did not land the bigger names....but we did try to get CMac, and the price was probably extremely steep. I wanted him, like many others, just for the fun of watching him roam the field for us for the next 10 or more years. Again, personal preference.

    I am from the school of "love for LBs", but not a big deal that we came away without one. Just wished we landed one ILB, with run stuff skill.

    Our O needed a lift. With Bolles, Butt, and some other options we can employ, we may have done enough to put more points on the board. With playmaking ST types, we will likely improve field location, perhaps even scoring a few more on kicks/punts. It's translates to O.

    Defensively, we may not initially get much of a lift, but we are basically already there. I expect Ray to have a stellar season, and who knows, maybe Walker and a combo of other Dliners will raise our bar to some degree. I mean, any improvement on D is almost unfair to the league!!

    So, without giving a specific grade, I give our leaders kudos for staying the course, knowing what they needed, and without selling the farm, executing accordingly.

    As I mentioned already, it's also time for our current roster (prior to the draft) to make a statement as well. Security is not the end game. Getting better is.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-30-2017 at 11:04 AM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Disagree on your previous post. I actually do think this class has the potential to be Elways best class. And in general I think we might look back and say we killed it.

    I agree with you on the corner. But I think we're in the minority here on him, maybe? I also agree on the rb, sort of. Because Cj isn't a cap casualty if he's healthy over the next few years. That remains to be seen if it's possible, though. I admit.

    However, my best bet for a pro bowler is jake butt. The dude will be great for us if he stays healthy, I believe.
    Not feeling it on Butt personally. I think he become a very reliable 2nd TE option. Think Heath Miller type that will give us 40-60 receptions a year, but no real explosion or big play ability. If he does this, moves the chains, we should all be fine with it. 70 plus receptions is something I doubt we see with him.

    Hope I'm wrong, just my take. Gave us a C+, that is not a bad grade that is above satisfactory (plus is for getting a 4th next year). Do think we filled OT/OG depending on how Bolles fares this year, 3rd WR, solid 2nd TE, rotational DL guy, ST boost, and grabbed a few good upside guys.
    Last edited by MHSalute; 04-30-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    762
    My take is a B- initially, with potential. LT is a gaping hole, so I understand the pick, but it was a weak OT class, and we got the oldest guy in it. It's not unusual to take 4-5 years before an olineman dominates. Bolles will be pushing 30 by then. Hopefully he makes an impact quickly and we don't regret not picking a first round impact player.

    Love the Walker pick, should help the D this year. Langley has potential, but I don't like a project pick where we got him. We have 0 special players on offense, and there were still good ones on the board. Butt is potentially a steal, but probably not a contributor this year coming off injury. The ST picks address a need that's been sorely neglected. Ideally, one of them will work out as both a slot WR and KR. D'Angelo and Kelly are great flyers.

    So...lots of guys with potential that will probably take time to develop. In the meantime, the offense doesn't look much improved unless Bolles surprises. The defense will benefit from Walker, but I'm not sure there's enough juice on the other side of the ball to avoid another season of low-scoring frustration. And the clock is ticking on capitalizing on the defense.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Not feeling it on Butt personally. I think he become a very reliable 2nd TE option. Think Heath Miller type that will give us 40-60 receptions a year, but no real explosion or big play ability. If he does this, moves the chains, we should all be fine with it. 70 plus receptions is something I doubt we see with him.

    Hope I'm wrong, just my take. Gave us a C+, that is not a bad grade that is above satisfactory (plus is for getting a 4th next year). Do think we filled OT/OG depending on how Bolles fares this year, 3rd WR, solid 2nd TE, rotational DL guy, ST boost, and grabbed a few good upside guys.
    I too think Heath Miller when I think of Butt but that doesn't disappoint me, it excites me. Heath was a VERY solid, reliable tight end for many years in the NFL and he was a TE-1 for the record. Butt, like Heath, won't have to come off the field and can help us running the ball, pass protecting and catching the ball. His blocking will improve and he'll only get wiser with good coaching. We added two other big play slot guys in the draft as well so we don't the pure pass catching tight end as bad.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by swbroncos View Post
    I too think Heath Miller when I think of Butt but that doesn't disappoint me, it excites me. Heath was a VERY solid, reliable tight end for many years in the NFL and he was a TE-1 for the record. Butt, like Heath, won't have to come off the field and can help us running the ball, pass protecting and catching the ball. His blocking will improve and he'll only get wiser with good coaching. We added two other big play slot guys in the draft as well so we don't the pure pass catching tight end as bad.
    Agree for the most part, should have said a poor mans Heath. Think Butt has a fine career, put not any pro bowls. If he is even close to Heath, that is a great pick. And yes Miller was a TE-1 for Pitt, but borderline TE-1 by todays TE standards imo.

    On all these picks, I like them to be contributors, parts that make the engine pure; however only Langley and Bolles really feel like starters to me. Which is fine because we need a 3rd WR, a good TE2, a RB, an interior pass rusher,...obviously, they can all end up being more, they just don't appear on paper to be more.

    All that said, I think todays NFL is more about packages than starters. Need depth and guys to fit those packages. Take Walker, I think he makes his money inside as a nickel pass rusher and will never be a great 3 down option. We play nickel 60% of the time, so he has tremendous value in that role. Henderson in 3 and 4 wide, Butt in 2 TE and goal line,... these kids don't need to be "starters" they need to excel in their packages, however the coaches decide to use them. Last year we had very limited personnel to vary our looks and rotations. Feel we just got a lot better.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by swbroncos View Post
    I too think Heath Miller when I think of Butt but that doesn't disappoint me, it excites me. Heath was a VERY solid, reliable tight end for many years in the NFL and he was a TE-1 for the record. Butt, like Heath, won't have to come off the field and can help us running the ball, pass protecting and catching the ball. His blocking will improve and he'll only get wiser with good coaching. We added two other big play slot guys in the draft as well so we don't the pure pass catching tight end as bad.
    Agreed on that! He does not drop passes. At all. Jk, I'm sure he's dropped a pass at some point. I've just never seen it. Lol. Plus he's a bit more athletic than Heath was. So, I don't see why he can't be just as good as Heath was if he gets some mental parts of the game down. Same size, bit more athletic, has a knack for getting open, just as reliable hands (from what's seen in college). Don't understand how you can say he can't be just as good if not better.

    To clarify, I'm not saying he will be just as good or better for sure. Just don't see why someone would say he can't be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •