Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I don't see the similarities between Siemian and Alex Smith. Siemian takes more chances down the field and has a stronger arm. Alex Smith is more mobile and likes to take off and run more than Siemian. As a passer, Siemian is already further along than Alex Smith in his first seasons. Smith started 7 games as a rookie and only threw 1 TD pass. In his second season, he threw as many TDs as interceptions. Siemian averaged 7.0 YPA in his first season as a starter, while Alex Smith averaged 5.3, 6.5 and 4.7 YPA in his first 3 seasons. If everything goes well, Siemian should become a better QB than Alex Smith.

I guess people make this comparison because Smith is perceived as a careful game managed and Siemian only managed games last season. However, there's a difference between inexperience and style of play. Siemian was inexperienced, replacing Peyton Manning after a SB campaign and trying to keep a 1st-round QB on the bench. Siemian could move the ball down the field but was conservative in the scoring area because he did not want to screw up. He should be able to play loose and pull the trigger more often as he gets more confidence as the starting QB. His biggest issues, like holding the ball for too long and throwing short of the sticks where the defense was dictating the easy throw, can be corrected with experience.

We don't know what kind of jump he can make in the near future, especiallly with Mike McCoy bringing a new offense that gives more freedom to the QB.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

who's got more talent and raw upside? Kelly or Lynch?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    who's got more talent and raw upside? Kelly or Lynch?
    I would have to go with Kelly on this one but I think it's close. Both have strengths the other doesn't but have similar weaknesses.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Didn't Paxton beat Kelly in college?

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I don't see the similarities between Siemian and Alex Smith. Siemian takes more chances down the field and has a stronger arm. Alex Smith is more mobile and likes to take off and run more than Siemian. As a passer, Siemian is already further along than Alex Smith in his first seasons. Smith started 7 games as a rookie and only threw 1 TD pass. In his second season, he threw as many TDs as interceptions. Siemian averaged 7.0 YPA in his first season as a starter, while Alex Smith averaged 5.3, 6.5 and 4.7 YPA in his first 3 seasons. If everything goes well, Siemian should become a better QB than Alex Smith.

I guess people make this comparison because Smith is perceived as a careful game managed and Siemian only managed games last season. However, there's a difference between inexperience and style of play. Siemian was inexperienced, replacing Peyton Manning after a SB campaign and trying to keep a 1st-round QB on the bench. Siemian could move the ball down the field but was conservative in the scoring area because he did not want to screw up. He should be able to play loose and pull the trigger more often as he gets more confidence as the starting QB. His biggest issues, like holding the ball for too long and throwing short of the sticks where the defense was dictating the easy throw, can be corrected with experience.

We don't know what kind of jump he can make in the near future, especiallly with Mike McCoy bringing a new offense that gives more freedom to the QB.
    I'm very interested in what Siemian can do in the Offense that the Broncos are going to put out there this year. First they have to get better on the O-Line. It killed the team last year. Sure there are QB's who can overcome poor O-Line play on a regular basis and still drive an Offense. We just saw one retire and we have one as our GM. It's a bit ridiculous to expect Siemian to be PFM or John Elway though. And it is, ultimately, a luxury rather than an ideal way to build a football team. I know that Siemian can make plays because I saw him do it, and I know that he can make mistakes because I saw him do that too. But he's smart and he can do the job. Honestly out of all three QB's I'm thinking Siemian is the one that you build an Offense around as of right now.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Didn't Paxton beat Kelly in college?
    Memphis beat Ole Miss
    Kelly: 33/47 for 372 2 TD/2 INT, 7.9 average...142 rating
    Lynch: 39/53 for 384, 3 TD/1 INT, 7.2 average...149 rating

40 yards rushing for Ole Miss
    107 yards rushing for Memphis

Lynch: 3rd year staing for the team
    Kelly: 1st year starting for the team

pretty close stats but Lynch has the edge in stats

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I'm very interested in what Siemian can do in the Offense that the Broncos are going to put out there this year. First they have to get better on the O-Line. It killed the team last year. Sure there are QB's who can overcome poor O-Line play on a regular basis and still drive an Offense. We just saw one retire and we have one as our GM. It's a bit ridiculous to expect Siemian to be PFM or John Elway though. And it is, ultimately, a luxury rather than an ideal way to build a football team. I know that Siemian can make plays because I saw him do it, and I know that he can make mistakes because I saw him do that too. But he's smart and he can do the job. Honestly out of all three QB's I'm thinking Siemian is the one that you build an Offense around as of right now.
    I'm on the Kelly bandwagon (if you couldn't tell) but we will have to wait and see them all play in TC/preseason before any real judgement can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Memphis beat Ole Miss
    Kelly: 33/47 for 372 2 TD/2 INT, 7.9 average...142 rating
    Lynch: 39/53 for 384, 3 TD/1 INT, 7.2 average...149 rating

40 yards rushing for Ole Miss
    107 yards rushing for Memphis

Lynch: 3rd year staing for the team
    Kelly: 1st year starting for the team

pretty close stats but Lynch has the edge in stats
    Sounds like a good game.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Siemian is going to surprise a lot of people yet again, I think he takes a leap this year. Last year he had a very respectable season considering the circumstances. He played with a significant injury most the season and had key pieces in his offense go down. If everything goes likes it's looking, he will have much better protection and a much better run game to lean on. Then he's got the addition of Butt and Derby will have had more time to prep in a new offense. Siemian had some great moments last season when they finally let him sling it around a bit. Can't wait to see how he looks healthy and with all the new pieces.

The downside of this QB competition is exactly what Michael Lombardi explains in this video:

At the 5:00 mark he says the NFL is a mathematical problem and you only have so many reps to get a QB ready. He's talking about the Bears, but we are in a similar situation. So, Siemian "needs all the reps". However, Lynch "needs all the reps +10". How are you going to get 2 QBs ready? That's what is going to happen again with the Broncos this offseason. No matter who wins this competition, the winner won't be as prepared as he could.

If Kelly also enters this competition, with reps equally split among 3 QBs, then this mathematical problem with the reps gets even worse. I think we will see the QB situation really improve when there's a clear starter and he can get all the reps with the starters, run his passing camp, mold the system according to his preferences, etc.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Siemian is going to surprise a lot of people yet again, I think he takes a leap this year. Last year he had a very respectable season considering the circumstances. He played with a significant injury most the season and had key pieces in his offense go down. If everything goes likes it's looking, he will have much better protection and a much better run game to lean on. Then he's got the addition of Butt and Derby will have had more time to prep in a new offense. Siemian had some great moments last season when they finally let him sling it around a bit. Can't wait to see how he looks healthy and with all the new pieces.
    I doubt that Butt will be ready but I do expect Siemian to be better and I haven't seen anything from any other QB on our roster that would make them look like the better choice for the starter spot.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Kelly is a mirror imagine of cutler in terms of skill set and will be wearing number 6. That is kind of hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The downside of this QB competition is exactly what Michael Lombardi explains in this video:

At the 5:00 mark he says the NFL is a mathematical problem and you only have so many reps to get a QB ready. He's talking about the Bears, but we are in a similar situation. So, Siemian "needs all the reps". However, Lynch "needs all the reps +10". How are you going to get 2 QBs ready? That's what is going to happen again with the Broncos this offseason. No matter who wins this competition, the winner won't be as prepared as he could.

If Kelly also enters this competition, with reps equally split among 3 QBs, then this mathematical problem with the reps gets even worse. I think we will see the QB situation really improve when there's a clear starter and he can get all the reps with the starters, run his passing camp, mold the system according to his preferences, etc.

Kelly has an injured wrist and had surgery on March 10th. The article I read said that he can't even throw for three months after that. That puts it at June 10th. Training Camp starts on July 24th according to https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...Locations.aspx . I don't think he's going to be stealing many reps. It'll be Siemian/Lynch and Siemian looks to have a significant head start based on last season. I'd be shocked if they don't go with Siemian as the starter.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    Kelly is a mirror imagine of cutler in terms of skill set and will be wearing number 6. That is kind of hilarious.
    Hopefully he doesn't mirror pouty face in any other way.

Kelly has an injured wrist and had surgery on March 10th. The article I read said that he can't even throw for three months after that. That puts it at June 10th. Training Camp starts on July 24th according to https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...Locations.aspx . I don't think he's going to be stealing many reps. It'll be Siemian/Lynch and Siemian looks to have a significant head start based on last season. I'd be shocked if they don't go with Siemian as the starter.
    With an entirely new offense Siemian doesn't have a significant head start. I do think the new offense suits his strengths well.