Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I wouldn't say that at all. I don't think any QB has the mental part "down" after only one season.
    Poise, study habits,leadership, grasping playbook and calling plays...I think he does. Needs better execution on drops and timing, but I would not say he lack in the mental aspects of being an NFL starter.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I realize the Kelly hype is too much to resist but why not sit the young man for the year?

Instead of pushing him to return from major knee surgery and a wrist surgery Put him on IR. Let his body heal, let him learn the mental part of the game and prove he can control himself and act like an adult. Then he can come back next year healthy and ready to compete for a job if he can prove himself.

What are the IR rules for him to participate in practices and meetings? Feasible to have the "red shirt" season as I have seen, or too isolated and no participation allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    Vance was wrong... He was actually 1-1 vs Alabama. Would have been 2-0 had Kelly not choked away a 24-3 lead and fumble the game away.

Paxton is a first round physical talent without the off field or the injuries. No way does Kelly have more potential.
    Fixed it for you. There is much more to being a QB than physical talent.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I realize the Kelly hype is too much to resist but why not sit the young man for the year?

Instead of pushing him to return from major knee surgery and a wrist surgery Put him on IR. Let his body heal, let him learn the mental part of the game and prove he can control himself and act like an adult. Then he can come back next year healthy and ready to compete for a job if he can prove himself.

What are the IR rules for him to participate in practices and meetings? Feasible to have the "red shirt" season as I have seen, or too isolated and no participation allowed?
    I would IR him and give him another year to grow up, learn what being a professional is. Do not see the need to rush it. I would also like that extra roster spot, but would need a capable PS QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    Vance was wrong... He was actually 1-1 vs Alabama. Would have been 2-0 had Kelly not choked away a 24-3 lead and fumble the game away.

Paxton is a first round talent without the off field or the injuries. No way does Kelly have more potential.
    The overuse of "choke" in our sports society is so comical.

Player makes one bad play, but his team wins. Typically no mention of choke.

Player makes one bad play, but his team loses. Completely different narrative.

They very well might. They might also just have him run scout team and be #3 QB and learn on the field that way. I think that's the wise choice myself but I also see the talent in him and that talent may trump the other QBs talent.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

We'll probably draft one next year too unless one of these guys can really make a statement this year. We'll probably keep drafting them until one of them can step up.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosIsWin View Post
    We'll probably draft one next year too unless one of these guys can really make a statement this year. We'll probably keep drafting them until one of them can step up.
    I'm confident all three will make a statement.

It makes be a bold call but I'm predicting lynch will be the least impressive if the three yet he'll still turn heads.

See where I'm going with this?

I think we're in good shape with the boys we have.

What would you say is a realistic floor/ceiling for each of our QBs?

Siemian- Floor= Sam Bradford/Ceiling= Andy Dalton

Lynch- Floor= poor man's Joe Flacco/Ceiling= poor man's Cam Newton

Kelly- Floor= poor man's Derek Carr/Ceiling= very poor man's Aaron Rodgers
    Last edited by gerontion; 05-01-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Fans love big arm, highly mobile QBs, but both Brady and PM would most likely fall to the bottom portion of Starting QBs when comparing them to other NFL staters. QB has become mostly a mental game, just need an arm good enough and pocket presence to go with it. My money is still on TS because he has the mental game down and his arm is actually pretty decent, as is his mobility. If one of the other guys does beat him out, that will be amazing because I do trust TS to set the bar pretty high.
    There are clearly many different ways to play QB. The mental game is part of it, the throwing is part of it, the mobility is part of it, the leadership is part of it both from a get the other players into the right plays/routes perspective and wind them up to run through a brick wall for you.

Siemian seems to be very good at the mental game aspect of it, have enough physical skills and be very good at getting teammates into the right routes. He has had very little "deer caught in the headlights symptoms" but he also really haven't produced the wow moments. I was never high on Griese, Cutler, Osweiler and I haven't seen anything from Lynch that is special by NFL standards. I really love the calm and maturity with which Trevor plays but I worry about ex. the Pats loss. I loved Tebow's intensity and would chuck things like the KC game up to - you rely on keeping it close as Reeves did with Elway and winning it on the last drive, then you had better expect to fail sometimes when your QB is from F performances to A+. With Siemian and the low scoring losses I am more worried that we are seeing the ceiling, than seeing just a bad game/poor game planning.

You don't sit and wait for Siemian coming up big - he has an Alex Smith air about him, and not the I will die trying kind of air.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    There are clearly many different ways to play QB. The mental game is part of it, the throwing is part of it, the mobility is part of it, the leadership is part of it both from a get the other players into the right plays/routes perspective and wind them up to run through a brick wall for you.

Siemian seems to be very good at the mental game aspect of it, have enough physical skills and be very good at getting teammates into the right routes. He has had very little "deer caught in the headlights symptoms" but he also really haven't produced the wow moments. I was never high on Griese, Cutler, Osweiler and I haven't seen anything from Lynch that is special by NFL standards. I really love the calm and maturity with which Trevor plays but I worry about ex. the Pats loss. I loved Tebow's intensity and would chuck things like the KC game up to - you rely on keeping it close as Reeves did with Elway and winning it on the last drive, then you had better expect to fail sometimes when your QB is from F performances to A+. With Siemian and the low scoring losses I am more worried that we are seeing the ceiling, than seeing just a bad game/poor game planning.

You don't sit and wait for Siemian coming up big - he has an Alex Smith air about him, and not the I will die trying kind of air.
    Seimian aspires to be as good as A. Smith. For all the crap that Smith gets he is a successful QB. His steady reliable "don't make mistakes" style of play has turned into a lot of wins for him. But he is also a much more athletic player then Seimian.

One aspect of the QB situation that i have not seen discussed concerning the three QBs since the addition of Kelly. How different Seimian is from the other two. Perhaps a "one of these things is different" example. Maybe it was just that Kelly was available and too much potential to not take the risk in drafting him.

If Joseph is being truthful in his post draft comments that "Kelly was his favorite QB in the draft" doesn't it say a lot about what type of QB the Broncos may be looking for? Two athletic, shotgun oriented QBs that both are best on the move and making plays under pressure. One the cerebral game manager that plays a competent low risk style. Different coaches have different visions of how they want to see the offense run. Different year, different coaches and different expectations this year.

Going to be a fascinating battle this summer and moving forward as to which one steps forward and earns the starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    What would you say is a realistic floor/ceiling for each of our QBs?

Siemian- Floor= Sam Bradford/Ceiling= Andy Dalton

Lynch- Floor= poor man's Joe Flacco/Ceiling= poor man's Cam Newton

Kelly- Floor= poor man's Derek Carr/Ceiling= very poor man's Aaron Rodgers
    Those are very generous floors you provided them, especially Trevor, because of the lack of the use of "poor man's". Not sure I agree with all of their ceilings either. But, it's all subjective.

Seimian aspires to be as good as A. Smith. For all the crap that Smith gets he is a successful QB. His steady reliable "don't make mistakes" style of play has turned into a lot of wins for him.But he is also a much more athletic player then Seimian.

One aspect of the QB situation that i have not seen discussed concerning the three QBs since the addition of Kelly. How different Seimian is from the other two. Perhaps a "one of these things is different" example. Maybe it was just that Kelly was available and too much potential to not take the risk in drafting him.

If Joseph is being truthful in his post draft comments that "Kelly was his favorite QB in the draft" doesn't it say a lot about what type of QB the Broncos may be looking for? Two athletic, shotgun oriented QBs that both are best on the move and making plays under pressure. One the cerebral game manager that plays a competent low risk style. Different coaches have different visions of how they want to see the offense run. Different year, different coaches and different expectations this year.

Going to be a fascinating battle this summer and moving forward as to which one steps forward and earns the starting job.
    Yes, Alex Smith is an excellent QB, and for all the negative comments, you just don't win 10 games in a row without being amazing at the relevant aspects of the game. I don't however see AS as much different athletically than TS - a bit stronger but..

In the end we have to see how our QBs improve. Derek Carr that everyone seems to love is 1-5 against Alex Smith and the Chiefs. Trevor has that same understated - don't get too excited - air. With Elway, Plummer, Cutler (kind off), Tebow... to me you always had this we fight to win but it might blow up in our faces, whereas with Trevor you don't expect things to blow up but maybe be too little to late like it was with Orton. Orton was excellent at QB, but it was always the ability to almost win that set it apart. I don't have a feeling that Trevor will win - the extra gear that Elway, Plummer, Tebow etc. had does not seem to be there, but then it was not for Peyton Manning at the same stage of his career.

I don't have a feeling that Trevor will win - the extra gear that Elway, Plummer, Tebow etc. had does not seem to be there, but then it was not for Peyton Manning at the same stage of his career.
    I disagree. Trevor Siemian had the 3rd highest QB rating in the 4th quarter of one score games this season (132.6) behind only Brady (135.9) and Big Ben (145.8). If he wins the starting job again, I hope he can stay healthy for the entire season, so that we can all come to a clearer conclusion on him, because he's clearly the type of player that divides opinion.

T
    Really don't see this. Alex is good at lots of things, but throwing on the boundaries is not one of them. Trevor was pretty good going outside with the ball, more so to his blind side, which is rare. If Trevor continues to improve, I think Matt Ryan would be a better comparison. Matty Ice, more of a methodical poised QB with some athleticism but more about getting the ball in his playmakers hands. Keep in mind Matt took 5 years to get the comp % above 63. That is the guy I see in TS.