Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Chad Kelly highlights

Well since he's on the team I figured it be a good idea to post a video highlight here for everyone to enjoy.

It may not be the coaches cut but it's the best highlight reel like a find on YouTube or doesn't have all the Crap music and slow Mo's in between. It's all strictly business.

Anyway enjoy and drop your comments on this kids potential with the Denver Broncos.

Last edited by EddieMac; 04-30-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Laquan Treadwell and Evan Engram were both top draft picks. Who was throwing them the ball? Chad Kelly.

vs Alabama (national champion that season)

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Only Ole Miss QB to beat Auburn, LSU, and Alabama in the same season. He beat pretty much all of Eli Manning and Archie Manning's season records while he was there.

The interesting thing, that same season they lost 3 games. 1 against Florida, and OT game against Arkansas, and the 3rd? Paxton Lynch and Memphis.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Laquan Treadwell and Evan Engram were both top draft picks. Who was throwing them the ball? Chad Kelly.

vs Alabama (national champion that season)
    He actually had a pretty awful game despite the final stat line. He had two very fluky Td passes that basically doubled his yards and tripled his td passes.

The one where the snap went behind him and he just turns around and tosses a prayer is a very very dumb play. And likely won't get away with in the NFL. He just got super lucky on the play.

The one that was initially ruled illegal forward pass was very heads up but also very unusual.

I won't take away from his 343 yard 3 TD 0 pick performance against Bama. But if those two plays don't happen his stat line looks pretty atrocious.

I like his potential. He sure had a lot of balls batted down, seems to telegraph his throws pretty bad. Nothing he can't learn though.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    I like his potential. He sure had a lot of balls batted down, seems to telegraph his throws pretty bad. Nothing he can't learn though.
    Actually that is something most qbs never really grow out of. There's lots of qbs that were elite that went there whole career with a lot of batted balls. Sometimes it's from defenders timing getting their hands up at the right time. But others are usually due to throwing motion. Which is usually the hardest thing to alter in a qb. You go your entire life with one throwing motion and it's habit and hard to change.

I remember how they preached that with Tebow and how he had fixed his motion in shorts. But once the lights turned on and guys came running at him he always reverted back to the same awful throwing motion he had his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Actually that is something most qbs never really grow out of. There's lots of qbs that were elite that went there whole career with a lot of batted balls. Sometimes it's from defenders timing getting their hands up at the right time. But others are usually due to throwing motion. Which is usually the hardest thing to alter in a qb. You go your entire life with one throwing motion and it's habit and hard to change.

I remember how they preached that with Tebow and how he had fixed his motion in shorts. But once the lights turned on and guys came running at him he always reverted back to the same awful throwing motion he had his whole life.
    Definitely truth to this. I think there are a lot of factors that go into this though. For example, look at Brock Osweiller last year. He may have led the league per attempt in batted balls. With the Broncos it didn't seem to be an issue. What changed?

It's not a size thing, as evident by Brock, Tannehill, Bortles (who have huge issues with this) and than look at Brees who (until recently) has avoided it for most of his career.

I think if a Qb is completely in sync with the offense and players (like can see things develop intuitively) is when you throw off defenders. I think most batted down balls is just not having a grasp or buying into an offense, or not having teamates who our properly on board.

When it all comes together is when instincts and feel take over and the thinking and doubts disappear.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Definitely truth to this. I think there are a lot of factors that go into this though. For example, look at Brock Osweiller last year. He may have led the league per attempt in batted balls. With the Broncos it didn't seem to be an issue. What changed?

It's not a size thing, as evident by Brock, Tannehill, Bortles (who have huge issues with this) and than look at Brees who (until recently) has avoided it for most of his career.

I think if a Qb is completely in sync with the offense and players (like can see things develop intuitively) is when you throw off defenders. I think most batted down balls is just not having a grasp or buying into an offense, or not having teamates who our properly on board.

When it all comes together is when instincts and feel take over and the thinking and doubts disappear.
    Actually Brock had tons of batted down balls in Denver. The difference is 16 starts in Houston vs only 7 in Denver. If he had started an entire season he likely would have led the league here as well.

And it's due to his bad habit of constantly throwing the ball in a downward motion towards the ground. When you have open lanes it works best like that because it only allows your receiver a shot at the ball not defense. But when throwing through the line it leads to a lot of batted balls.

Nothing changed other than him having double or triple the reps in Houston.

Bree's doesn't struggle with it despite his height because he has more of an upward motion. He has much better mechanics than Brock.

Actually Brock had tons of batted down balls in Denver. The difference is 16 starts in Houston vs only 7 in Denver. If he had started an entire season he likely would have led the league here as well.

And it's due to his bad habit of constantly throwing the ball in a downward motion towards the ground. When you have open lanes it works best like that because it only allows your receiver a shot at the ball not defense. But when throwing through the line it leads to a lot of batted balls.

Bree's doesn't struggle with it despite his height because he has more of an upward motion. He has much better mechanics than Brock.
    Ok. It didn't feel to me Brock had a bunch of balls batted when in Denver (but winning probably blinds you to that).

I see what your saying. I just don't think it is the only factor. Take Tom Brady for example, it doesn't seem like he has an upward motion (it looks more downhill than upward to me, especially when he really puts some zip on it). When Brady does play us, you see a lot of batted balls, but it seems he does other things so well that it doesn't become as much of a factor.

I've read so many Posts to the effect that Paxton Lynch should start over Trevor Siemian because Lynch is a 1st Round Pick (that we moved up to get) and Siemian is a 7th Round Pick who by virtue of where he was taken in the Draft can't be as good as Lynch. My observation has been that QBs are where you find them.

Whether it's 1st Round busts, like Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, David Carr, Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russel, and I would argue, Sam Bradford, many of whom were 1st Picks in the Draft, or some lowly later Round Pick like Trevor Sieman, TOM BRADY, Dak Prescott, Mark Brunell, Joe Theismann, Bart Starr (Round 17!), and Roger Staubach.

QBs are a crapshoot no matter what the "Draft Guru's" would have you believe. Will Kelly amount to anything? Who knows. A lot depends on his recovery from wrist surgery, and whether the Broncos keep 2 or 3 QBs on the roster as they did with Siemian. It's always fun to watch how these things work out.

Ok. It didn't feel to me Brock had a bunch of balls batted when in Denver (but winning probably blinds you to that).

I see what your saying. I just don't think it is the only factor. Take Tom Brady for example, it doesn't seem like he has an upward motion (it looks more downhill than upward to me, especially when he really puts some zip on it). When Brady does play us, you see a lot of batted balls, but it seems he does other things so well that it doesn't become as much of a factor.
    I think you hit the nail on the head that it's not noticed as much when you win.

If I'm not mistaken Manning always had an above average rate of batted balls. And I think Big Ben does too. But you can live with it when you win a lot. I mean it's better than interceptions right?

The Kelly batted balls in the highlight I noticed however I also cut him slack cuz of the opponent. Saban tends to field one of the smartest defenses and they know when to get their hands up.

It actually concerned me way less than him throwing the ball up in the air without looking where he was throwing it. Even though he got away with it in the best way possible.

I can live with some batted balls. I can't live with dumb INt's

Osweiler's 3/4 delivery doesn't take advantage of his height. He saw Manning's over the top delivery all the time, but he didn't change his own. Manning's release point was higher in spite of him being shorter than Brock. By the time these guys have been throwing footballs for a long time, their throwing motion and release point is just about set. I doubt if anyone worked harder than Tim Tebow to improve his throwing mechanics, accuracy, release time, etc., but it was too late. Young QBs need good coaching and lots of opportunities to throw. Another problem Osweiler seems to have is release time. That plus the low delivery leads to blocked throws.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I'm really excited to be rooting for this guy. Looks like he's been humbled and has grown up quite a bit since Clemson due to some great coaches who took him under their wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqZwRMEWPgQ

I think you hit the nail on the head that it's not noticed as much when you win.

If I'm not mistaken Manning always had an above average rate of batted balls. And I think Big Ben does too. But you can live with it when you win a lot. I mean it's better than interceptions right?

The Kelly batted balls in the highlight I noticed however I also cut him slack cuz of the opponent. Saban tends to field one of the smartest defenses and they know when to get their hands up.

It actually concerned me way less than him throwing the ball up in the air without looking where he was throwing it. Even though he got away with it in the best way possible.

I can live with some batted balls. I can't live with dumb INt's
    Yea, I can live with it too, just part of the game.

Hey good conversation. Made me look at things a bit differently. Always like when you feel more educated after talking with someone without feeling attacked (which can happen on these forums...haha).

Big Ben's cure to help minimize those batted balls is the best pump fake in the game. ( I wish more Qb's would use it. It will make defenders instantly flat footed). I saw Siemian do it a bit last year. But Big Ben and Brees just master it! (Brady and Phyllis are good at it to)

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Osweiler's 3/4 delivery doesn't take advantage of his height. He saw Manning's over the top delivery all the time, but he didn't change his own. Manning's release point was higher in spite of him being shorter than Brock. By the time these guys have been throwing footballs for a long time, their throwing motion and release point is just about set. I doubt if anyone worked harder than Tim Tebow to improve his throwing mechanics, accuracy, release time, etc., but it was too late. Young QBs need good coaching and lots of opportunities to throw. Another problem Osweiler seems to have is release time. That plus the low delivery leads to blocked throws.
    Exactly Sam. Same points I made in my first post in this thread. It's not something you can really coach out of them. It's something you have to coach into them early in life like you said. Because by the time they reach the pros it's the hardest habit for qbs to break.

Rivers actually has a really awkward throwing motion. But he has managed to be super accurate in spite of it.