Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Parker
    Posts
    6
    'Poor man's Cutler' - Cutler had all the physical tools to be a great QB. But he was a mental midget. Chad Kelly, like Cutler has the same xcellent physical tools to excel. But we have to wait to see has it up there to be a winner. Again, Elway made a great choice for the last player drafted this year.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachuga View Post
    'Poor man's Cutler' - Cutler had all the physical tools to be a great QB. But he was a mental midget. Chad Kelly, like Cutler has the same xcellent physical tools to excel. But we have to wait to see has it up there to be a winner. Again, Elway made a great choice for the last player drafted this year.
    If I'm the Broncos I point to guys like Cutler and Manziel and use them as recent examples of what happens when a QB has a poor attitude or can't keep his late night social life in check. Heck, I'd even use Monte Ball as an example from the Broncos. Come to find out that Monte Ball was showing up to meetings with alcohol on his breath, so much so that the RB coach had to tell him to cut it out. I bet that had a lot to do with his release from Denver.
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Lots of quarterbackphilia.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The difference is that Cutler played with future doctors and lawyers at Vanderbilt. He was the only player from Vanderbilt invited to the Combine in the 2006 class.

    Kelly played with Laremy Tunsil, Laquon Treadwell, Evan Engram... The quality of the supporting cast is not even close.

    If Kelly is at least as good as a young Cutler, he probably runs away with the starting job once he's healthy.

    Good point as under coach Hugh Freeze Ole Miss has become a top 20 recruiting program, some have even labeled them a "dirty program" as there have been inquiries to NCAA violations, but that's another story. I think the valid comparison is that both Cutler and Kelly have big arms and gunslinger mentalities. Although Cutler was certainly mobile, I'd have to say that Kelly is a little better in that department. The knock on Cutler has always been his laissez-faire attitude, so much so that the fans of Chicago even created a site dedicated to "the most apathetic looking athlete in the history of sports". Should bring a chuckle if you have never seen:

    http://smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com/

    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ca...in-jay-cutler/

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,621
    We got us a Scooba boy!

    Seriously though. if he can get a grasp on the mental aspect of the game and learn how to be an adult, the sky is the limit for him.

    Hooray, beer!

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,621



    Hooray, beer!

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    408
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19204092

    Chad Kelly's full sport science video.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,815
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..

    Or in this case a team that has their franchise QB is way better off than a team that has three prospects.

    I don't like where the Broncos are sitting with the QB situation. I think it's been proven time and again having a franchise QB means being in the mix year after year. A really elite QB can carry a mediocre team far but, a team with mediocre QB usually doesn't go far even with a good team around him.

    We have Trevor, a guy who struggled last year and two prospects who are just lotto tickets at this point.. filled with possible potential but, no real tangible proof they will ever hit.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasKrista View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..

    Or in this case a team that has their franchise QB is way better off than a team that has three prospects.

    I don't like where the Broncos are sitting with the QB situation. I think it's been proven time and again having a franchise QB means being in the mix year after year. A really elite QB can carry a mediocre team far but, a team with mediocre QB usually doesn't go far even with a good team around him.

    We have Trevor, a guy who struggled last year and two prospects who are just lotto tickets at this point.. filled with possible potential but, no real tangible proof they will ever hit.
    TS will be much improved with the O line additions. I think the running game and the special teams and defense all improve too. This was a huge off season for us both in the draft and free agency.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,627
    What really troubles me a lot is that some of the posts I've read on here absolutely berated Elway for picking Bolles because of "character concerns" yet some of those same posters justify Kelly's behavior as him "being young." Kind of a double standard, don't ya think.

    *Side note*

    I like both picks a lot, just noticing some trends I've seen so far*
    Last edited by Bterres105; 05-04-2017 at 03:06 PM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasKrista View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..

    Or in this case a team that has their franchise QB is way better off than a team that has three prospects.

    I don't like where the Broncos are sitting with the QB situation. I think it's been proven time and again having a franchise QB means being in the mix year after year. A really elite QB can carry a mediocre team far but, a team with mediocre QB usually doesn't go far even with a good team around him.

    We have Trevor, a guy who struggled last year and two prospects who are just lotto tickets at this point.. filled with possible potential but, no real tangible proof they will ever hit.
    Are you saying we already have our franchise quarterback? Because, that's the only way I see that quote fitting, in my opinion. But, I disagree that any of the qb's we have, have shown they are for sure a franchise qb. Not that they can't become one.

    Because, obviously having an established franchise qb is better than having 3 prospects. Who would argue against that? lol

    But, we don't have a for sure franchise qb, in my opinion. So, it's definitely better to have 3 guys that could potentially become one than three guys that have absolutely no chance. Let them battle out and hopefully one emerges victorious as a franchise qb.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 05-01-2017 at 11:52 AM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by db1978 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19204092

    Chad Kelly's full sport science video.
    Thanks for posting this. I've mentioned this in other posts, I'm glad you found that video.

    He looks like he is still wet behind the ears in this video. I think a coupe of years preparing will do him good. He obvious has the talent, just needs to prove he has the mental part. If he doesn't work out, no big loss.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,844
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasKrista View Post
    I don't like where the Broncos are sitting with the QB situation.
    I like the QB situation for the future. Unfortunately, it will take some rebuilding with growing pains until a starter is settled. This is not uncommon in the NFL after a franchise QB retires. It takes some time to find the next QB and get back on track unless the team had a very poor season, gets a very high pick and there is a top QB available in the draft.

    What I really like about this situation is that Siemian does things the right way. From all I've heard and read, he already has the respect of the locker room, has the football IQ and maturity to play the position and prepares like a starting QB should. So, it's probable that he will continue to get better every year.

    That means Siemian can set a high bar for the QB competition. I don't think Elway and Vance Joseph can just insert Paxton Lynch as the starter and tell the locker room to deal with it if he's not deserving. I also don't think Siemian will screw up and lose the job. Someone will have to clearly win and take the job away from him. If that's the case, the team will be in good hands with a hard-working QB, no matter who he is, instead of dealing with a business decision based on draft status.

    If Paxton Lynch can work as hard as Siemian, absorb the playbook as well as Siemian, show the results on the field and earn the respect of the locker room, the team will be in good hands with a competent QB doing the right things besides the upside of his mobility and arm talent.

    If Siemian wins the starting job again, I think it will be time to admit he simply is the better QB and there should be no more competition in 2018. This team can't have a QB competiton every year splitting reps during camp. That's the main issue of the current QB situation: whoever wins the job will only be 50% prepared because he had to share reps 50/50.

    Now there's also Ched Kelly in the mix. The same applies to him: if he wants to get this job, he will have to put in the work and do all the right things to unseat Siemian. The QB that arrives late, leaves early and has the wrong priorities off the field won't have a chance to be the starter in Denver. This is not Cleveland where the owner forces the front office to draft Manziel and then forces the coaching staff to start Manziel regardless of his immaturity and lack of preparation.

    Siemian had better numbers than Carson Wentz and played injured behind a horrible offensive line without any help from the running game. He had growing pains for sure, like most young QBs without experience, but nothing that indicated he can't continue to improve and have a chance to be a starter in the league.

    I expect improvement from Siemian, his teammates already respect him as the starter and he will continue to grind. If someone performs better than him and takes the job fairly, we should feel good about it. That's why I like the QB situation, though it will feel like a rebuilding stage until this competiton is over.

    This new staff needs to find the starting QB as soon as possible and let him grow with reps and game experience. Hopefully we will be able to say one of these QBs is the franchise QB by 2018.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Are you saying we already have our franchise quarterback? Because, that's the only way I see that quote fitting, in my opinion. But, I disagree that any of the qb's we have, have shown they are for sure a franchise qb. Not that they can't become one.

    Because, obviously having an established franchise qb is better than having 3 prospects. Who would argue against that? lol

    But, we don't have a for sure franchise qb, in my opinion. So, it's definitely better to have 3 guys that could potentially become one than three guys that have absolutely no chance. Let them battle out and hopefully one emerges victorious as a franchise qb.
    The quote was used to show that a team like Oakland is much better off having their bird in their hand vs.. Denver who has two prospects in the bush so to speak.

    My point was Denver can make a ton of improvements but, they still have to be considered an under dog to a team like the Raiders who have their franchise guy ready to go.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I like the QB situation for the future. Unfortunately, it will take some rebuilding with growing pains until a starter is settled. This is not uncommon in the NFL after a franchise QB retires. It takes some time to find the next QB and get back on track unless the team had a very poor season, gets a very high pick and there is a top QB available in the draft.

    What I really like about this situation is that Siemian does things the right way. From all I've heard and read, he already has the respect of the locker room, has the football IQ and maturity to play the position and prepares like a starting QB should. So, it's probable that he will continue to get better every year.

    That means Siemian can set a high bar for the QB competition. I don't think Elway and Vance Joseph can just insert Paxton Lynch as the starter and tell the locker room to deal with it if he's not deserving. I also don't think Siemian will screw up and lose the job. Someone will have to clearly win and take the job away from him. If that's the case, the team will be in good hands with a hard-working QB, no matter who he is, instead of dealing with a business decision based on draft status.

    If Paxton Lynch can work as hard as Siemian, absorb the playbook as well as Siemian, show the results on the field and earn the respect of the locker room, the team will be in good hands with a competent QB doing the right things besides the upside of his mobility and arm talent.

    If Siemian wins the starting job again, I think it will be time to admit he simply is the better QB and there should be no more competition in 2018. This team can't have a QB competiton every year splitting reps during camp. That's the main issue of the current QB situation: whoever wins the job will only be 50% prepared because he had to share reps 50/50.

    Now there's also Ched Kelly in the mix. The same applies to him: if he wants to get this job, he will have to put in the work and do all the right things to unseat Siemian. The QB that arrives late, leaves early and has the wrong priorities off the field won't have a chance to be the starter in Denver. This is not Cleveland where the owner forces the front office to draft Manziel and then forces the coaching staff to start Manziel regardless of his immaturity and lack of preparation.

    Siemian had better numbers than Carson Wentz and played injured behind a horrible offensive line without any help from the running game. He had growing pains for sure, like most young QBs without experience, but nothing that indicated he can't continue to improve and have a chance to be a starter in the league.

    I expect improvement from Siemian, his teammates already respect him as the starter and he will continue to grind. If someone performs better than him and takes the job fairly, we should feel good about it. That's why I like the QB situation, though it will feel like a rebuilding stage until this competiton is over.

    This new staff needs to find the starting QB as soon as possible and let him grow with reps and game experience. Hopefully we will be able to say one of these QBs is the franchise QB by 2018.
    This is an excellent post. My one worry is will we ever see the ceiling of each QB while he is a Bronco. I would hate to settle on Siemian just because Lynch needs more time. At the same time, how long can we wait? We have an improving offense and a championship caliber defense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •