Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inside linebacker?

OK so it seems like we filled most of our needs except for at the inside linebacker position. As many of you know the Broncos are very high on Todd Davis however he's not Danny Trevathan and yes we are still feeling the loss of Trevathan.

If you go back to the 2015 season, one of the things that made the Broncos defense so good it was Trevathan's ability to tackle, play the run and cover any half back or tight end out of the backfield.

DT Was downright magnificent that season leading to a world championship. Yet web still have not done anything really to replace him. Once we get his replacement in here, you are going to see the run defense bolstered and return to elite status.

It is a very important position that cannot be ignored, just look at our run defense last year. It makes a huge difference and we need to get a quality replacement in here asap. I know Elway likes potential and Todd Davis seems to have potential but there comes a time when we have to stop relying on potential and find somebody that can actually play. I'm not saying he can't play but he is no DT.

Does anybody have any idea who we could plug-in at the inside linebacker position that can play both run and pass quite well?
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    OK so it seems like we filled most of our needs except for at the inside linebacker position. As many of you know the Broncos are very high on Todd Davis however he's not Danny Trevathan and yes we are still feeling the loss of Trevathan.

If you go back to the 2015 season, one of the things that made the Broncos defense so good it was Trevathan's ability to tackle, play the run and cover any half back or tight end out of the backfield.

DT Was downright magnificent that season leading to a world championship. Yet web still have not done anything really to replace him. Once we get his replacement in here, you are going to see the run defense bolstered and return to elite status.

It is a very important position that cannot be ignored, just look at our run defense last year. It makes a huge difference and we need to get a quality replacement in here asap. I know Elway likes potential and Todd Davis seems to have potential but there comes a time when we have to stop relying on potential and find somebody that can actually play. I'm not saying he can't play but he is no DT.

Does anybody have any idea who we could plug-in at the inside linebacker position that can play both run and pass quite well?
    I mentioned this in another thread. I can only surmise from the fact we didn't draft a single linebacker that they feel comfortable with what we have, which may suggest Todd Davis is the guy. I'm not sure what gives them the impression he'll be better this year than last, but the lack of depth alone is a bit disturbing. We lost Ware and Watson, Marshall is quite often injured, and Davis wasn't great last year. It seems odd to me, but this isn't my profession, so I guess we'll see what we see.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

I think the Broncos are going to wait for their ILB to come via cuts. Davis was a Joe Mays clone, I dont think he stays as starter unless his play does a 180

ILB Kendricks from Philly and FA TE Barnidge . Kendrick's was a stud in a 3-4 and think he would be great here or at least bolster the group. Barnidge would give us another move TE with Derby and Butt will be a PUP guy anyways.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

not having a Nose tackle getting destoried abnd the addition of Walker will really help out d play vs the run

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

We have a bunch of warm bodies on the roster at LB after Miller, Ray, Barret, Dora, and Marshall. Even a guy listed at DE (Kasim Edabali) that I think is really a LB. Maybe they are hoping that one of those 1.764,264,098,612,021 guys will work out.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    I think the Broncos are going to wait for their ILB to come via cuts. Davis was a Joe Mays clone, I dont think he stays as starter unless his play does a 180
    This is what I'm thinking. I'm keeping my eye on the miners roster. If foster doesn't need surgery and is ready to go they might have a quality cut or two with them switching to a 4-3. They just signed Malcom smith and they have bowman coming back and foster drafted? That's crowded. Wishful thinking they cut bowman and wishful thinking we go after him.

The easy answer is the Broncos like Todd Davis that's why we tendered him so high. Not to mention most of our starting MLBs have not come from high or middle round picks, most are either acquired late in the draft, UFA or plucked from another teams PS.

UDFA Eric Wilson is rumored to have signed with the Vikings but if I were the Broncos I would consider him

Kames Onwualu is another player to look at, though I doubt we will stick with the 3-4 without a NT, so unless we sign Jarron Jones dont expect the D to stay the same
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-30-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

We didn't exactly have a "need" at LB. In 2015 we were good across the board on defense.
    Although I think Trevathan (6th round draft choice) was a good LB/MLB/ILB, to state that he was "magnificent" is an overstatement. If he was magnificent he should've made pro-bowl status, he has none. His best season was 2013 in Del Rio's defense and overall the defense wasn't very good that season. Don't get me wrong, I would've liked to have kept Trevathan, maybe/probably more than Marshall but he was and is an injury risk so we had to settle for Marshall. At least since Elway has been in charge we have not used high draft picks on MLB/ILB but we have been relatively successful as a team and as a defense the last 3 seasons - of which Trevathan started 16 games.
    Todd Davis did lead the Broncos in tackles last season, probably partly due to Marshall being injured for part of the season but still Davis filled in fine and did what was expected of him. Davis will be in his 4th season - 19 starts - after not being drafted in 2014 but made the Saints PS before we nabbed him after being promoted to the Saints roster to fill in for an injured LB, we nabbed him when they tried to move him back to the PS. Davis is only 24 currently - Marshall and Trevathan are 27 - as you say, he has potential still and I don't think he has yet seen enough time starting with the Broncos to have realized it all. He could very well be a very solid LB this next season... apparently the Broncos think so; I'm not sure how any of us would know different?
    I was for taking Rueben Foster if he was there at 20 and he was, we didn't take him. Even IF we did take him I'm can't say for sure that he would have started ahead of Davis? Who knows?
    To conclude that it was the ILB position that caused the run defense to falter is not supported considering that we lost Jackson and Walker from the season before, we have been good against the run without drafting high or focusing on the ILB/MLB position. He may not be what I would like to see from an ILB in pass coverage but with more help along the line I think he is more than sufficient against the run. He also could improve in pass coverage this season, he only has 19 starts.

Gerald Hodges is still a FA and is only 26. As is Sio Moore. Wouldnt mind bringing one of them in to see what they have to offer.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

It just feels like this regime doesn't value the inside linebacker position that much.

Nate Irving and Lamin Barrow as the highest inside linebackers the Broncos have drafted since Elway took over. Both guys never did anything significant for the team.

It's disappointing for me because inside linebacker is a sexy position for me. I was praying for Reuben Foster or Zack Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    We didn't exactly have a "need" at LB. In 2015 we were good across the board on defense.
    It really is not about need, it is a want. Last year we ranked top 5 vs WRs 1-3 and TE, but were middle of the pack covering RBs. Seeing how NE loves to throw to their RBs, this is even more of a want. If we upgraded to a true 3 down LB that excels against both run and pass, then I think it takes our defense to an entirely different level...the level that won a SB. For me, the ILB did not make enough big plays, say what you will about Trev, he made big plays.

I completely understand the Bolles pick, it was a pure need pick; however, if we had added Foster and Walker, I think the defense would have been one for the ages...
    Last edited by MHSalute; 05-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I say Denver should role with Zarie Anderson I think when given the role he will produce 10 times better than Todd Davis what exactly did Todd Davis do for the Team Last Year I suspect not a Dam Thing!

I think ALL of our linebackers will have a much better year, Todd Davis included. Improving our front and getting so much bigger will make it much harder for O lineman to pull and get to the 2nd level. Our LBs could never stay clean. That was Peko's main role at Cinci... make sure you're always getting doubled and keep the LBs clean.

My prediction: With a much improved D line, our LBs will have career years.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16