Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The O-Line

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Ah, thanks. Does Strausser coach the same style that Benton does?
    Yes, he coached at Boise State using inside and outside zone. He published a DVD teaching the zone-blocking scheme:

https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Strauss.../dp/B005HY3MIQ
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

For Broncos at guard, it's Ron Leary on the left and Max Garcia on the right
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Max Garcia wanted to make Ron Leary feel welcome and do the right thing for the team.

So even though Garcia started all 16 games at left guard last year, he offered to move to right guard, a position he played in spurts as a rookie in 2015 when he spelled then-starter Louis Vasquez throughout the season.

"I said I'd play right, just off the bat," Garcia said. "Whatever we have to do to be more comfortable."
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...b-fb7b16b48927

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    "I said I'd play right, just off the bat," Garcia said. "Whatever we have to do to be more comfortable."
    Translation: I don't want potentially lose out my starting position to the rookie, Bolles.

I must be the only one not immediately assuming Bolles is the day one starter.

I get it,"nasty 1st round pick. He has to start." I'll pencil him in.

I'm curious to see how Sambrailo does in camp. Reports from OTAs were positive. He has finally been healthy and able to work out. Looking bigger and stronger and has experience. He may not be ready to roll over for the rookie just yet.

Could be an interesting competition to keep our eyes on. .

Overall I like the additions and depth. New coaching, new attitude and new system. I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I must be the only one not immediately assuming Bolles is the day one starter.

I get it,"nasty 1st round pick. He has to start." I'll pencil him in.

I'm curious to see how Sambrailo does in camp. Reports from OTAs were positive. He has finally been healthy and able to work out. Looking bigger and stronger and has experience. He may not be ready to roll over for the rookie just yet.

Could be an interesting competition to keep our eyes on. .

Overall I like the additions and depth. New coaching, new attitude and new system. I'm optimistic.
    I don't know if he is or he isn't. With all the chatter it's not a hard leap to think Garcia might have thought about it.

I'm all for the best 5 on the line, whomever they happen to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Translation: I don't want potentially lose out my starting position to the rookie, Bolles.
    Garrett Bolles is a Left Tackle prospect. Max Garcia volunteered to move to Right Guard. His competition inside besides Leary is McGovern, Turner and Schofield who is also outside. Bolles' competition outside is Sambrailo, Stephenson, Watson, Murray and Schofield. If Paradis can't go, possibilities include McGovern, Garcia, Ferentz and Day
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I love our prospective line, besides the right tackle position. From center to LT has tremendous upside if Paradis comes along and Bolles is what I think he is.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

I will be surprised if Sambrailo starts over Bolles. Sambrailo had more experience in college; I believe he was a 3-year starter at LT. However, he only played 3 games as a LT in the NFL. Bolles is much more athletic and a much better finisher; the only way he loses the job is if he really struggles in pass protection.

I was watching more videos of Bolles and one thing we should expect from the offense this season, considering how Mike McCoy can adapt to his players, is some running plays with Bolles as the pulling lineman instead of the guard. He is outstanding pulling from the LT spot. His lateral quickness is rare, his steps are very clean and he crushes the LBs and safeties at the second level. Watch out for those plays.

Bolles at LT and Leary at LG is a perfect combination. Both are nasty blockers that keep driving until the defender is on the ground. Leary's experince will really help Bolles, especially in pass protection. It definitely would not be good to have Max Garcia and a rookie together on the left side.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I will be surprised if Sambrailo starts over Bolles. Sambrailo had more experience in college; I believe he was a 3-year starter at LT. However, he only played 3 games as a LT in the NFL. Bolles is much more athletic and a much better finisher; the only way he loses the job is if he really struggles in pass protection.

I was watching more videos of Bolles and one thing we should expect from the offense this season, considering how Mike McCoy can adapt to his players, is some running plays with Bolles as the pulling lineman instead of the guard. He is outstanding pulling from the LT spot. His lateral quickness is rare, his steps are very clean and he crushes the LBs and safeties at the second level. Watch out for those plays.

Bolles at LT and Leary at LG is a perfect combination. Both are nasty blockers that keep driving until the defender is on the ground. Leary's experince will really help Bolles, especially in pass protection. It definitely would not be good to have Max Garcia and a rookie together on the left side.
    On another thread someone posted Utah's game against UCLA. On a number of run plays, Garrett drove his guy ten yards deep and planted him on his back. One of the pulls he did was straight GTO Counter Gap where he and the Guard blew a hole in the middle of UCLA's front for a rushing TD. The guy is a nasty player, exactly what is needed - attitude.

I agree with your observation of having him next to Leary. That should work if Garrett plays his way into the five. If McCoy plans to use a lot of angle blocked run plays, Garret Bolles seems better suited for that than Ty Sambrailo as you have stated before. It will be interesting to how the O-Line looks when TC and hitting begins.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I saw an interesting article today. This is Garcia volunteering to move to RG so Leary can play at LG:

~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I saw an interesting article today. This is Garcia volunteering to move to RG so Leary can play at LG:

Nice gesture, but I think that was assumed by everyone that Leary would be LG regardless of whether Garcia relinquished the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Nice gesture, but I think that was assumed by everyone that Leary would be LG regardless of whether Garcia relinquished the position.

I'm not even sure that Garcia gets the RG position.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

agreed. I think he is the front runner but Schofield very well might win that battle.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    agreed. I think he is the front runner but Schofield very well might win that battle.
    I was just looking stuff up about their contracts. Scho has just this coming season left under contract, Garcia has this year and next year. Both of them are on their rookie contracts still. I thought Scho did a good job at RG last year. I could see both of them getting new contracts, and McGovern's emergence as Leary fades over the next few years.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

With Davidson now coaching the O-Line and the Broncos going to a more power, physical, knock you on your a$$ mentality, Garcia fits it better than Schofield. Schofield and McGovern would battle for the swing guard. It all depends on Paradis.

But if the Broncos are true to their word that they want a bully OL, I like Garcia over Schofield. But I would like to see how McGovern plays.

Bolles-Leary-Paradis-Garcia-Watson is a start.