Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: The O-Line

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,841
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    You are wrong about Schofield. He played LT last season in limited reps and did ok. If he doesn't get a starting spot, He will be the best backup.
    This idea that Schofield played well at LT is a myth in my opinion. He got reps at LT during preseason and could not block the edge rushers. He was just lucky that, every time he got beat, the QB got rid of the ball quickly or scrambled to the other side. I will go find the games on Game Pass and I will post some pics on this thread later.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Bolles - Leary - Paradis - Garcia - Watson

    Backups: Sambrailo - McGovern - Stephenson - Schofield

    I think these are the 9 o-linemen that will make the final roster. Ferentz is probably too light for a coaching staff that wants a more imposing OL. McGovern and Garcia will probably get snaps at center to fill in for Paradis if needed.

    Sambrailo may be on the bubble because he is not versatile. He seems to be exclusively a LT. He does not have the power to move inside to guard and he really struggles at RT where he's never been comfortable doing the same actions but completely in reverse.

    I also don't think Schofield is a lock to make the final roster. It will depend on McGovern's development. Schofield is too passive and lacks power for a new staff that wants a mean streak. Besides, he's exclusively a guard and not a good one. He can't play any OT position if you have any plans to keep the QB alive.

    Garcia is awful as well and his lack of awareness put Okung in several bad spots last season, but it seems that he will get another shot in this "power" scheme.

    I would have welcomed a quality RG in this draft, but we can't have everything. If Stephenson improves and wins the RT job, maybe Vance Joseph will plug Menelik Watson at RG.
    Well, there are three phases to fielding a football team: get football players; coach football players; play football games.

    Phase one is just about over. Phase two begins soon.

    As far as the O-Line is concerned, they seem to have the fifteen guys they need for TC. They will do strength, conditioning, installation of the playbook and non-contact walk/jog throughs before TC.

    When the hitting begins, they can start numbering them one through fifteen and shuffling them around. Identify the best five and shuffle them to their best spots. If one of those can't go, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary. After that, Ludi incipiant.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,483
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    When the hitting begins, they can start numbering them one through fifteen and shuffling them around. Identify the best five and shuffle them to their best spots. If one of those can't go, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary. After that, Ludi incipiant.
    And hopefully they won't be Ludi crous.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    And hopefully they won't be Ludi crous.
    I'm just getting ludicurious about how the roster and the new coaching staff are going to shake out.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    This idea that Schofield played well at LT is a myth in my opinion. He got reps at LT during preseason and could not block the edge rushers. He was just lucky that, every time he got beat, the QB got rid of the ball quickly or scrambled to the other side. I will go find the games on Game Pass and I will post some pics on this thread later.
    In a predominantly zone stepped rushing attack, Michael Schofield did OK at RG. If an angle blocked rushing attack is to be predominant, the question about him at G is leverage and pad level on down blocks. He might be OK pulling, but down blocks are crucial for RG on angle blocked run plays.

    To me, his length makes him more of an outside guy. I agree he doesn't seem like an answer at LT, but he didn't do so great at RT in 2015 either. Jeff Davidson and Chris Strausser will figure out his best spot.

    Donald Stephenson didn't do so well at RT last year and he was far more experienced than Schofield. I think you are correct in identifying these two guys as being in search of a spot.

    Bolles and Sambrailo seem LT candidates. Watson will most likely start off at RT. The main inside guys are Leary, Garcia, Turner and McGovern with Paradis being a question mark for health reasons.

    James Ferentz and Connor McGovern were snapping the ball to Trevor and Paxton in voluntary mini-camp recently. McGovern repped at G and C in preseason, played a preseason game at C and continued to rep there during the season. Garcia played C his last year at Florida.

    If Paradis isn't ready, those would seem to be the options at C. If Paradis is ready, it will be interesting to see who the backup C will be. Versatility is a desirable trait in O-Linemen.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    And hopefully they won't be Ludi crous.
    That's funny! Even the gladiators are laughing.

    Morituri te salutamus.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I'm just getting ludicurious about how the roster and the new coaching staff are going to shake out.
    Is that like bi-curious?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Is that like bi-curious?
    Ridiculously eager for the season to start so we can watch some Bronco football and find out what we have.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,841
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    You are wrong about Schofield. He played LT last season in limited reps and did ok. If he doesn't get a starting spot, He will be the best backup.
    Here is Schofield at LT in preseason, week 1 vs Chicago:



    First play for the offense, Schofield already gets pushed back and the defender keeps getting to the QB, the pocket collapses and Sanchez has to step backwards and roll to the left.



    The defender gets past Schofield, who falls to the ground. Free path to the QB. This play was a disaster as Heuerman also let the edge rusher run the arc and hit Sanchez.



    Schofield pushed back again, edge rusher is about to hit Sanchez. The QB was forced to throw the ball away. That was a QB "sandwich" with pressure from the right side as well.



    No need for explanation here. Schofield loses badly, Sanchez is forced to get rid of the ball and throws short of the sticks on 3rd down.

    There is more. Part 2 is coming.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Ridiculously eager for the season to start so we can watch some Bronco football and find out what we have.
    I'm ready for that, Bro. One of these days, I'll try to make it to a preseason practice. My favorite day of preseason practice was always the first day of full contact; Hamburger and Cowboy. That's when you find out if guys who looked good in shorts also look good in pads and hats.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,841


    Schofield is pushed back again. The edge rusher is all over Siemian (left hand is probably grabbing the QB), forcing an off-target pass.



    Another QB "sandwich", pocket collapsing on both sides, Siemian has to throw deep out of bounds because the edge rusher keeps coming.



    Schofield allows the edge rusher to "run the arc". The only reason Siemian was not sacked here is because he had the awareness to scramble to the right.

    And that's only game 1 of preseason. As you can see, Schofield is not a reliable OT, left or right side. He gets pushed back way too easily, does not have a good punch to fight back and struggles to anchor.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,926
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post


    Schofield is pushed back again. The edge rusher is all over Siemian (left hand is probably grabbing the QB), forcing an off-target pass.



    Another QB "sandwich", pocket collapsing on both sides, Siemian has to throw deep out of bounds because the edge rusher keeps coming.



    Schofield allows the edge rusher to "run the arc". The only reason Siemian was not sacked here is because he had the awareness to scramble to the right.

    And that's only game 1 of preseason. As you can see, Schofield is not a reliable OT, left or right side. He gets pushed back way too easily, does not have a good punch to fight back and struggles to anchor.
    look at the regular season games...they are much better. Also, I am not saying he should start at LT, but he is an ok backup that has improved dramatically so far and should continue to improve.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,479
    Did John Benton ever go to the 49ers after he interviewed there or is he staying in Denver? He's still listed on the Broncos' page:
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/co...1-9075daaaa578

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Did John Benton ever go to the 49ers after he interviewed there or is he staying in Denver? He's still listed on the Broncos' page:
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/co...1-9075daaaa578
    They must have forgotten to deactivate that link because Benton is gone.

    This is the updated coaching staff:

    http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/fo...perations.html

    No more Benton. Chris Strausser is the assistant OL coach.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,479
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    They must have forgotten to deactivate that link because Benton is gone.

    This is the updated coaching staff:

    http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/fo...perations.html

    No more Benton. Chris Strausser is the assistant OL coach.
    Ah, thanks. Does Strausser coach the same style that Benton does?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •