View Poll Results: who had the best draft in the AFC west?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broncos

11 68.75%
  • Chargers

3 18.75%
  • Chiefs

1 6.25%
  • Raiders

1 6.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    and Williams is the only wr who could score on verrett...so we have a conundrum
    Great Scott! If they succeed, they'll spark the lightning bolt at the clock tower and we'll have a major paradox!

A paradox! One of those things that can destroy the universe.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.

I say the Chargers had the best draft based upon players and talent only. Considering their draft position vs. the rest of the division, this should have been the case. Obviously we'll have to see how the players do, but for now it doesn't seem like they messed up the draft, which a lot of teams that pick in the top 10 frequently do. Williams and Lamp were among my favorite players in the whole draft, so that obviously drives up their grade in my book.

The Broncos had a draft that was (uncharacteristically, in my opinion) solid through every round. They definitely started out sour with the Bolles pick, but it has grown on me, especially considering the amount of value we got in the later rounds at other positions. There was a good mix of high upside picks (Henderson, Langley, McKenzie) , along with value picks that dropped due to injury or other concerns (Butt and Kelly).

Raiders are third. Conley was my favorite corner in the draft, but the off-field concerns make it a lot more risky. If nothing comes of it, they certainly got a steal in the first round. Melifonwu and Vanderdoes make solid day 2 picks, but I think Oakland's day 3 picks were pretty uninspiring. Overall, they added a ton of talent to that defense that will pair nicely with a potent offense on the rise.

What the Chiefs are trying to do with Mahomes is something I am in favor of. I like the idea of grooming someone to take over the QB role, but I've never been a big fan of giving away future draft picks. I am intrigued by Kpassagnon and Hunt, but not by any of the other choices. This entire draft hinges on what Mahomes is able to do for Kansas City. We won't know for a few years, so this draft is filled with uncertainty until then.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Great Scott! If they succeed, they'll spark the lightning bolt at the clock tower and we'll have a major paradox!

A paradox! One of those things that can destroy the universe.
    its a scary thought...dammit why does telesco have to draft these super human stars

Broncos - Most everyone will say if Bolles works out then great draft, if not... I gave us a C+ for the draft, but that does not mean it won't turn out to be an A+ Do think it has the "potential" to be that good.

Chargers had a B+ draft, but doubt it helps to improve their ability to compete. Not seeing anything done about a defense that surrendered nearly 27 points per game.

Raider a B, if Conley is cleared they made some solid additions to the defense.

Chiefs D+, QB, DL and RB picks do nothing to help them improve this year imo. Yes this compares to Lynch and Gotsis picks by us last year. Could be good someday but weird to go that way coming off the year they had.

Think Us and the Raiders used the draft to help us improve in the win column this year, how all this plays out long term nobody knows.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Seems Barphs go to site has the Broncos as the most improved team in the AFC west https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...very-division/
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Seems Barphs go to site has the Broncos as the most improved team in the AFC west https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...very-division/
    this thread is about who had the best draft, not the best overall off season. the chargers got knocked for over-paying for okung due to crap tackles in the draft like bolles

the best college tackle that was in the draft is going to play guard or center for the chargers

but as far as the draft goes, denver had yet another lack luster draft while the chargers had yet another good one. i know you see people gushing all over the chargers draft this year and it burns your ass lol

i don't even need to post the links, i know you see it.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    Had they taken Hooker, I would have been very dissapointed as a Broncos fan lol. He is the type of safety the Chargers need, speedy playmaker. I would say the board fell favorably for them, Lamp being there especially. It's not really a dig against the draft. They didn't over think it, grabbed the extremely high value guys that lined up well with needs. We had to be a little more creative to get value that met our needs.
    hooker was not a top 10 caliber player, i was saying that for weeks before the draft. yes he has huge potential and was a fit in the chargers new defensive scheme but not only was he injured but more importantly he was raw.

only started 13 football games his entire life and all last season, terrible tackling fundamentals and very one dimensional. sure, if all you had him do is play center fielder as a single high safety, i'm sure he'll do great. other than that? he needs development.

too many variables for a top 10 pick, which is why he slid no doubt.

as far as the rest of their value picks, yeah they got lucky but they also tried to trade into the first round to get lamp but stayed patient. then they tried to trade for the first pick in the second round to get him but again, stayed patient and thought there was a decent chance he would still be there when they pick.

they had a great strategy and it payed off.

“Your first thought is, ‘He’s still on the board, he’s a player we really like. So, how do we get him?’ ” Telesco said in a phone interview. “You look at the teams that are in front of you, the teams picking before you, and you determine what their needs are, what style of offense they play, what type of linemen they use, what coaches are in their organization. And, you try to make a determination if he’ll still be there when you’re picking.”

“We just felt like if we sit here, there’s a good chance we can get him,” Telesco said of the Chargers’ pick at No. 38. “But, you never know 100 percent.”
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...504-story.html

teleco may not be a god GM like elway, but i'm starting to like his handy work. the players and coaches need to now do their part....stay healthy and produce results.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

Wait a minute. The Chargers drafted the "best college tackle that was in the draft", but he will play guard or center while Okung was PFF's 38th tackle last season and gave up the 2nd most QB pressures?

Good luck, Philis...

And 3 OTs were taken before the "best college tackle that was in the draft"? Apparently, the Stan Kroenke's Roomers are the only NFL franchise that can evaluate OTs.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    better version of dez...good one
    why do you say that? because dez has had some success in the NFL? mike williams' size and game is very similar to dez coming out of college. the main difference is mike williams is more refined than dez was and is a proven big game play maker. dez may have had better hands i don't know, that is a knock on williams but that can be coached as well.

don't act like i am saying he is going to be better than dez but as a college prospect? yes he is a better version IMO and without the character concerns.

but if Williams, who is slow and never faced elite CB coverage, has poor route breaks, drops balls, did I say slow?..will magically dominate nfl corners?...maybe if he lined up against a dwarf like chris harris
    fixed that for you considering they are the same height LOL and again, that is why i mentioned dez bryant.

they said dez was too slow, poor route running, slow out of breaks, among other things. if an elite corner is left on an island with mike williams, he better be taller and extremely physical. it was no different than when vincent jackson was beating elite corners with his average speed.

the chargers have weapons all over the field when healthy and you will need to worry moe about pouting guys on allen and hoping williams or one of the TE's doesn't sting you, or tyrell williams for that matter.

but don't worry, you will se what i am talking about week 1 so they will be at full strength barring a TC injury or two or ten

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Wait a minute. The Chargers drafted the "best college tackle that was in the draft", but he will play guard or center while Okung was PFF's 38th tackle last season and gave up the 2nd most QB pressures?

Good luck, Philis...

And 3 OTs were taken before the "best college tackle that was in the draft"? Apparently, the Stan Kroenke's Roomers are the only NFL franchise that can evaluate OTs.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...te-arm-length/

n 12 games in the 2016 season, Lamp allowed zero sacks, one penalty, and four total QB pressures in 415 pass-blocking snaps for the top pass-blocking efficiency mark in the nation (99.3).
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...tern-kentucky/

Stats to know: Had three years of strong grades, ranking among the top five offensive tackles in the nation for three straight years. Allowed only five pressures in 2016.
    he played tackle in college, he was the best college tackle in the draft. everyone knows he got drafted to play guard (due to short arms) which is a less valuable position than tackle obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    the main difference is mike williams is more refined than dez was and is a proven big game play maker.
    More refined? How is Mike Williams anything close to "refined" coming from that Clemson offense? Very limited route tree and his route running overall needs a lot of work.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ams?id=2557966

WEAKNESSES: Natural pass catcher who will occasionally run into focus drops. Drops issue found him over second half of the season. Route work lacks focus and energy. Creates very little indecision from cornerbacks with his head fakes and jab steps. Ability to win with physical traits could dry up on next level. Could use better understanding of route leverage to open wider passing lanes for quarterbacks. Plant-and-go at the stem lacks crispness as does acceleration from his cuts. Average release quickness. Gets hung up by press corners with a good lead jab. Needs to play to his size. Gets muscled against sideline too often. Fumbled twice this season. Neck injury forced him to miss entire 2015 season so until he clears combine medicals, teams may have a red flag on him.
    SOURCES TELL US: "Really pretty looking when you watch him down on the field but he's not there yet. I think he'll get there but he's not there yet. I don't think he's going to run as fast as people think. When college players get up here and find out that cornerbacks are faster and more physical, there is an adjustment period. I think it will take him some time to figure things out but I think he'll do it. He's going to be good, I just don't know if he's going to be a star." -- NFC Pro Personnel Director
    BOTTOM LINE: Williams looks the part of a WR1 and has shown an ability to work all three levels of the field after coming back from his 2015 neck injury. Williams is tough enough to be a high-volume target while working the middle of the field and his size and ball skills make him a formidable foe in the end zone. He'll have to be coached up with his routes and releases, but he has the talent to become a big safety blanket for a young quarterback.
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...7mwilliams.php

Weaknesses:
    .Drops too many passes
    .Could struggle to separate from some NFL cornerbacks
    .Not sudden
    .Not overly fast in and out of breaks
    .Not a burner deep threat
    .Needs to improve route running
    .Lost 2015 season to a neck fracture
    There are a few things that Williams is going to have to improve for the next level. The first is dropped passes. He had far too many in 2016. Williams was better late in the year, but he needs to improve his hands as a pro. He also needs to improve his route-running for the next level.
    The guy is raw as a route runner, he just ran a bunch of simple stuff and used his size. How is he more refined than Dez Bryant coming out of college?

These last two seasons finishing 4th in the AFC West with 4-12 and 5-11 records have left the Stan Kroenke's Roomers desperate for hope...
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    More refined? How is Mike Williams anything close to "refined" coming from that Clemson offense? Very limited route tree and his route running overall needs a lot of work.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ams?id=2557966

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...7mwilliams.php

The guy is raw as a route runner, he just ran a bunch of simple stuff and used his size. How is he more refined than Dez Bryant coming out of college?

These last two seasons finishing 4th in the AFC West with 4-12 and 5-11 records have left the Stan Kroenke's Roomers desperate for hope...
    you do realize dez had the same issues coming out of college, right? saying he was more refined than dez isn't saying much and he was more refined of a pass catcher than dez, he does what dez does only better and a proven big game play maker. but you are not drafting mike williams or dez bryant for their running ability.